May 2014 Moms
Options

Talk to me about shingles... MIL has them

Should I keep my kids away? Neither have had chicken pox

Re: Talk to me about shingles... MIL has them

• Options
    My MIL had shingles when my daughter was only three months old and we were living with my ILs. Best advice I can offer is: keep your kids away from her when she has open sores and/or a fever. I'm sure being in the same house is ok, but touching/kissing/being close is probably not best. Once the sores have crusted over there is not a huge chance of them contracting chicken pox. I just kept my daughter on the other side of the room from MIL until the sores had completely dried up. HTH.
  • Options
    Poor MIL! I got a couple in grad school at it was soooo painful! I asked about being contagious to others since in was in school and around a lot of people. Doctor wasn't concerned. I'd check with your pedi just to be sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks all! Going to call the Dr tomorrow and see what she says. With the holidays so close, I want to avoid the kids getting sick if I can and we all have colds as it is.
  • Options
    Just keep away from open sores. But I think it's been already covered.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox
  • Options
    bunannie said:

haylo33 said:

You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox

But someone with shingles can give someone chicken pox.. 

https://healthland.time.com/2013/01/29/5-things-you-should-know-about-chickenpox-and-shingles/

"Shingles is less contagious than chicken pox and cannot be passed from person to person. However, the varicella zoster virus can be spread from a person with shingles to someone who has never had chicken poxThe unfortunate recipient might develop chicken pox, but not shingles."

Yeah that's what scares me with her seeing the kids. My two haven't had chicken pox and this LO is not vaccinated yet.
  • Options
    Dr said to stay away from her. Until the blisters have completely scabbed over, she is contagious and too risky for the kids.
    I can already just feel that I will be the bad guy in all of this by not letting her see us :((
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"