Working Moms

nwmr: can we talk cleaning front loading washing machines

i always leave the door of the washer open after using it to let it dry & prevent the smelliness but recently have noticed a terrible smell not when it is opened but when it is running. I finally got down and figured out how to clean the filter (kind of hoping that was going to be the magic bullet, but it was actually not that bad) and went at the rubber around the opening/drum with a bleach/water solution. While kind of a pain to pull the rubber back & really get behind it (and I"m still not sure if I did  a good job on the top b/c it is so hard to twist around & see it while trying to pull the rubber back and clean), what I realized was that the moldy brown stuff extends in beyond the rubber on the edge of the drum, where I cannot get at it with even a finger... is there a way to remove the entire rubber part to get better access to that area? I have zero idea how to clean this. Hoping next load doesnt stink since I cleaned quite a bit but it seems that part will just keep building up if I can't get at it. These front loaders may be efficient but what a pita they can be...
Now I will be all paranoid that my next load will get bleached or something too, even though I went back over everything with a water soaked rag and I plan to run an empty load to rinse it out...lol.

thanks for any tips! it is a samsung if that helps at all.

Re: nwmr: can we talk cleaning front loading washing machines

• I just run a clean cycle with tablets meant to clean the washing machine. A tech also recommended using the pods to make sure not to use too much detergent. Maybe Google your specific washer for cleaning tips?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Sorry, no cleaning tips, I can't even find the filter on mine. Just wanted to suggest if you're worried about bleach, I always run a load of towels after I use it, so if I ruin something, it's not clothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure you are leaving the detergent drawer open as well to air out :(
  • Thanks all...the detergent drawer was surprising clean and not smelly so I know it is not that. The moldy stuff inside that rubber was def the most disgusting.  LOL NADA-H, I really (obviously) didn't realize either but once I started pulling back the rubber it was quite obvious ( I have had it for 3 years so plenty of time for ick to build up in there). I did find some cleaning instructions online for my model but nothing about getting at that part I can't get at.  I will have to look for the stuff you can buy to clean it.  I hate those pods, I feel like they don't clean very well... I wonder if loose powder detergent is better than liquid in these things...
  • NADA-H said:

We have to clean them?...

Who knew? We've had ours since 2009. I've cleaned it zero times.

Now I feel gross
  • KayteeGee said:

NADA-H said:

We have to clean them?...

Who knew? We've had ours since 2009. I've cleaned it zero times.

Now I feel gross
    Same here.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have to clean them?...
    Who knew? We've had ours since 2009. I've cleaned it zero times. Now I feel gross
    Same here.
    Maybe it is not too gross in there!
  • I used clr for the inside and ran tub clean cycle with it. The rubber area on mine is gross too, went through my manual but it didn't say how to remove it, if it's possible. It just said to wipe in there. I've been afraid to really get in there..,,
  • I will never buy a front loader again! Even my mother who is super anal about cleaning has mildew issues with hers. I run the bleach cleaner through every month or so and wipe it out but it only helps for a very short period.
  • I saw a tutorial once on how to clean your front load washer, can't remember where but it had instructions on what to mix and how to pull the rubber back etc, of course I didn't give it a second thought because that lady doing the tutorial must be a cleaning geek cleaning something that doesn't need cleaning in the first place..Ha! I pulled back the rubber at the bottom part only to look and there was nothing and by that I proved my own theory and put that to rest right there and then...

baaaah one more thing to clean around the house! we had ours for a little over a year now so I guess nothing built up just yet
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • I have to run a cleaning cycle on mine about once/month. The machine reminds me. The instructions are in the book. You just run a special cleaning cycle using bleach or washing machine cleaner tabs.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh man. There's totally a cleaning cycle on mine.
    Now. It's never been used in 5 years - but it's there.
    I will add that we don't have any smell problems so ....maybe we are lucky? Or maybe we just don't notice we are gross. Hmmmm
  • If you look up on youtube - how to replace the rubber gasket on a front loader- it will show you how to remove that rubber gasket to clean.  I haven't done it yet so I am not 100% sure the old gasket will go back on, but you could try looking it up on youtube.  If I remember correctly you need a spring seperator. 
  • Agreed - NEVER buying a front loader again! I use the Tide laundry machine cleaners but there is still a moldy smell somewhere!
  • As someone brought up in Britain, I've never used anything but a front loader and have never had any problems with smells (also never knew you needed to clean them!)
    2 children - DD born Dec 2004, DS born Jan 2007
    British born, emigrated to Canada 2006
  • there is a cleaning cycle?! have I been living under a rock? FML I will go look at my washer tonight. I feel so dumb right now HA
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • NADA-H said:
    there is a cleaning cycle?! have I been living under a rock? FML I will go look at my washer tonight. I feel so dumb right now HA
    Mine doesn't have one, I have looked also. :(
  • As someone brought up in Britain, I've never used anything but a front loader and have never had any problems with smells (also never knew you needed to clean them!)

Washers in England and the USA are not created equal. At least that's what I gather from what I see when I visit england and as my MIL tells me every visit she has to the States.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"