Illinois Babies
Options

relocating to chicago burbs..help please

Hi, my husbands job is relocating us to chicago from Los Angeles, Ca. and I am in dire need of advice on good areas to move for a young family. He will be working in Deerfield and so far we have looked online at homes in Vernon hills, Palatine, Elk Grove and Schaumburg. I have a son in high school and a 3 year who will need preschool soon. Can anyone give suggestion pros and cons for the places I mentioned? it's really important that we have a good high school, and quiet safe neighborhood. Thanks so much for any advice this is getting really stressful.

Hannah

Re: relocating to chicago burbs..help please

• Options
    Any of the north suburbs are pretty good. ?Most have excellent school systems and are very safe. ?It depends on your price range. ?Places like Deerfield, Northbrook, Glenview, Winnetka, Evanston are pretty pricey and have the best school systems and neighborhoods (I think they are nationally ranked). ?Middle of the road, but still relatively close to Deerfield, are Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, Palatine, Mount Prospect, Libertyville and that area. ?Also good schools and less snobby and you are more likely to find decent priced homes. ?The further West you go, the further you get from Deerfield. ?(Schaumburg is pretty far West) You probably know this from living in LA, but traffic is horrid around here (especially in the blizzard winters). ?That is something to keep in mind. ?Honestly, you can't go that wrong anywhere north/northwest of the city. ?The area is sprawling with young familes. ?You may want to rent before you buy. ?There are tons of options here. ?Good luck to you! ?Buy a down coat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    every where you mentioned is a good...schools are good too. best wishes to you during your big move..(you're going to need it with our crappy weather in the winter)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everywhere you mentioned is pertty good.  The further up North closest to Deerfield will be kinda pricey.  I would also check out Arlington Heights.  It has a cute downtown area and cute houses & good schools.
  • Options

Hannah,

Good Luck with your future move and welcome to the Windy City.  I work in Deerfield and I live in Arlington Heights.  I love Arlington Heights, it has a wonderful library, park district programs, it's close to Woodfield Mall, and there are several great high schools here. I am on the southwest end of Arlington Hts and my commute to the south end of Deerfield is about 40 minutes on a normal day and on a crappy snow day you can double it.

Any of the suburbs pp listed are good.  Again, depends on your price range. 

• Options
    The other ladies are right...you picked some good places. I will say this though- Schaumburg is big and doesnt have that "town" feel to it. Very crowded and everything with Woodfield Mall there and other things. Very commercial. I love Deerfield and I actually lived in Libertyville during middle school and HS and loved it. Cute downtown and very family friendly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hi, I live in Elk Grove Village and love love it!  We have a great school district.  Elk Grove HS is very good.  We also have a fantastic Park district (we are good friends with the pres of the board, hehe) and our library is wonderful.  Elk Grove is so close to everything.  We have a very nice 4 br bi level home and we bought it for a little over 200K.  Our neighborhood and neighbors are wonderful, we couldn't ask for a better place to raise our daughter.  Also, it was mentioned about Arlington Hts, also very nice with a cute downtown area.  Elk Grove is right next door.  Feel free to email me with any questions you may have mcubed4@hotmail.com

Good luck! 

• Options

thank you everyone for the advice, It makes it so much easier to hear from people who actually live there instead of taking our agents word. My husband saw some homes today so I can't wait to hear about it when he comes home for the weekend. Our price range will be 250 thousand, I'm a stay at home mommy so we only have one income and live very modestly so we're just trying to take advantage of the housing market right now to get into a nice area. Thank you again it is really appreciated!

Hannah

• Options

It's funny I came over here tonight, as I NEVER visit this board! Anyway, we have a home for sale in Libertyville around your price range. It's a three bedroom ranch, with a fenced in yard (fourth bedroom and bathroom downstairs too). Walking distance to the grade school and downtown area. Let me know if you'd like to see it or would like more info!

Oh, and it's a rental property, but my sister is living in it, so I know it's being well-cared for. We lived there for two years and then stumbled upon a great opportunity, so moved just a few blocks away. And I have a preschooler too (and a five year old)!

• Options
    JosFinnMom,

My husband had dinner last week with a coworker who lives in Libertyville and he fell in love with the town! is this wierd coincidence or what? We already have an agent do you have an MLS listing number for your house? or you can email the address to me so I can have her look it up. My husband is going with the agent to look at homes this friday and every friday until we find something and we're pretty eager so he doesn't have to keep commuting back and forth from there to california every weekend. We really like the homes in Libertyville and Mundelein so cute. Thanks!

Hanh_gonzalez@msn.com

• Options

YGM!!!

Is my siggy a big red square for anyone else or does it just look that way to me?

• Options

My Parents live in Roselle which is right by ElkGrove Village. Palatine is very nice as well. My Little Sister when to Lake Park H.S. which is for Roselle, Bloomingdale, and Medinah *a few other towns as well*

It will be a small commute for your husband but the location is great. Its near 290/355, the Elgin/Ohare Expressway... 3 great malls and shopping areas, good schools, and close enough for the city to go but Far enough where you dont have that crazy overload of city.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

My Parents live in Roselle which is right by ElkGrove Village. Palatine is very nice as well. My Little Sister when to Lake Park H.S. which is for Roselle, Bloomingdale, and Medinah *a few other towns as well*

It will be a small commute for your husband but the location is great. Its near 290/355, the Elgin/Ohare Expressway... 3 great malls and shopping areas, good schools, and close enough for the city to go but Far enough where you dont have that crazy overload of city.

Good LUCK!!!Wink

Baby Girl #1 Gabriella Jane Image and video hosting by TinyPicPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

• Options
    imageTeamTejeda:

Good LUCK!!!Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"