May 2014 Moms
Options

Fertility friend and trying to avoid?

I'm just post whoring it up today!

So, once AF comes back, I want to add fertility awareness method to my methods of contraception; however, I'm looking for an app to use.  I used fertility friend to conceive, and I know it was the preferred app for that, but how is it for trying to avoid?  I went to my account settings, and don't see anything that mentions that.  Maybe cause I don't have a paid membership?  

Any other apps that are good for fertility awareness method and trying to avoid?  

Thanks!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Fertility friend and trying to avoid?

• Options
    ns1ns1 member
    edited December 2014
    Well, bummer; I just read this on their site:

FertilityFriend.com interpretations/analysis though are totally tuned and geared to help you get pregnant and would put you at great risk if you used it to avoid pregnancy. Using any of FertilityFriend.com's chart interpretations in reverse will not work either and will put you at risk to get pregnant.

ETA: although, it essentially makes a fertility chart, so I wonder if you're familiar with reading it for trying to avoid pregnancy if it would just be the same as making a paper chart?  Hrm?
  • Options
    I have actually read that book (checked it out from the library).  I also looked into the Kindara app but haven't used it (as I have yet to have my PP period), so I couldn't really judge it.  Glad to hear a good review of it for trying to avoid!  I'll definitely have to keep it and try it out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the rec for TCOYF! Lots of valuable info there. You can keep using FF to avoid, though that will be probably get easier once you have a few cycles tracked and can see a pattern in your fertile signs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You could use it. I have a friend who has used it to avoid for four years. As long as you are vigilant, it should be ok. Obviously it's not the most reliable form of BC, but if that's what you want to do-- FF is fine because you confirm your fertility signs and temp shift

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    We use condoms or my diaphragm, but I want the added benefit of knowing when my fertile days are.  Plus I have longer than normal and irregular length cycles, so I like to have a way to tell when-ish I might start my period.  Basically, I'm a control freak and like to know what my body is doing, but I would like an app to do it for me so I don't have to bust out the paper chart!
  • Options
    Regular apps like My Days have me ovulating a couple days before I actually do, which could be very risky if I was doing NFP. I believe once you get cross hairs in FF (or CONFIRMED ovulation) you could be safe. But Since I'm not on hormonal birth control, I will always use a backup like condoms, although I would feel more lax about perfect use after confirmed ovulation in FF. If that makes sense.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    I loved the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I read it cover to cover the first weekend i got it. If you read it and understand it then you can use any app to track your cycle and you will know when it is safe to have unprotected sex better than any app will predict.

I used My Days for both avoiding and trying. It tried to predict my ovulation but was usually off by a couple days so I just manually entered it.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    I read TCOYF a few years ago after a miscarriage and learned so much about cycles I never knew. It is an amazing book! A couple years ago I joined FF and temped to prevent pregnancy and it worked well for me. I had (mostly) predictable cyles, until I started have mod cycle spotting for majority of the month for many cycles. Found out I had some cysts and has them removed. My cycle went right back to its norm... Then one crazy cycle, DH and I had sex on CD5 and I thought we were in a safe zone until my chart showed me I o'd on CD 9. Never had that happen before. We now have our surprise handsome May baby from that cycle.
    Long story short... It can work to prevent pregnancy but if your body decides to throw you a curve ball, don't be surprised!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"