February 2013 Moms

real estate agent rant / vent: WWYD (NBR)

I'm in the process of selling a condo I used to live in, then leased out after I relo-ed with work.  My property manager / agent was not very helpful.  I negotiated a 4+% increase in the original sales price, with very little help from her.  I'm sure there is a form that I've previously signed stating that I would pay the full commission.  I'm seriously debating trying to negotiate this down, since I did most of the work myself.  

The realtor did do paperwork for me and provide some comps / CMA.  I did all the data analysis myself, came up with counteroffers with data and reasons to support them.  When I asked the realtor for advice, assistance with what things were worth, she didn't provide it.  Didn't respond to many email requests.  I know there is another realtor representing the buyer (who happened to be the selling agent when I bought the property), but I almost got the sense she was not on my side during this whole process.  When she emailed the inital offer to me, her comment was "I know you're going to counter, let me know what to tell them".  She told me the initial offer was "good".  When I tried to explain what I thought my condo was worth, based on other properties, she told me "that's not today's market" and "I understand what you are trying to do, but that is high".  When I asked for her recommendation for a counter offer, she told me "well I sent your number to the buyer.  We'll see if they get back to us or walk away from the conversation".  

On the other hand, we've never gotten along that well, and I should have handled this a long time ago.  We have different personality types / communication styles, etc.  After this transaction is complete, I will never need to deal with her again.  And I'm certain that she has as many things to say to me, as I have to say to her, and I'm not sure it is a can of worms I really wish to open.  

I don't need to be at closing.  The title company will try to find a local title company I can sign papers at, for an extra fee of course.  Even though it will cost more to drive or fly there, I'm seriously considering doing this.  My agent doesn't seem to want me there, which makes me want to go all the more.  It would be fun, in a sentimental way, to see the condo one last time (I haven't seen it since I moved out) and show it to my H.  Also show him my old stomping grounds, stop by my old work, see some friends / family in the area.  

Every time I get an email / phone call from her I get all worked up as she drives me nuts.  Just typing this out is doing that  And every time I fill out paperwork for this transaction.  (Because of course I'm right and am looking to validate my side of the situation).  The sooner this is all over, the better.  Ugh, I just need to go to bed.  

Anyone been in a similar situation?  Keep fighting the good fight?  Just let sleeping dogs lie?  

Re: real estate agent rant / vent: WWYD (NBR)

• Honestly, I would just let it go. I don't know how much you think you could get knocked off the commission, but I doubt she'll be willing to budge on it, especially considering that you think she may consider you a difficult client since your personalities clash. For me, I would think it would be much easier and less stressful to just pay up and consider it my lesson learned for the future. Still, though, it does sound like she was not particularly helpful in the process.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks for the response @kelly321. I probably won't be able to get it reduced. And I struggle with how to share my frustrations in a conversation that would be productive. And why make an investment in this relationship / bother with the conversation anyway, since I won't need to work with her again.

And I'm trying to look at it as though the increase I negotiated will pay over half the commission, so I'm already getting a "discount". The rest of the commission I need to pay is to not have to work with her again (which certainly has value to me).

But then I think about how many zeros are involved, and it doesn't seem right that she gets all that money for doing not much work. Plus, might I have gotten even more, had she been more willing to assist me? (I'm still below what I initially paid for it, but since my mortgage is now lower, hope to essentially get out close to the same amount that I originally put in, which my tax person told me is pretty good in today's market. )

Your response is a good one. I keep trying to channel that song from the movie Frozen. I've kept my mouth shut this long and only have a few more days to go. I just find myself venting to everyone who will listen (my hair person got an earful yesterday) and writing lots of emails I know I will never send to get this out of my system.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.  My mom is a broker and she is one of those types who busts her butt for her clients, and then often sees them walk away because of promises made by the type of agent you are describing.  I think these kinds of people are disgusting.  There should be some way to evaluate them or hold them to their responsibilities, but there really isn't.

Anyway...if it's worth it to you to try to negotiate her rate down, and you think you have a fair shot, I say go for it, but if it's more trouble than it's worth or the chances of it happening are small, then I would let it go.  I would be so pissed about it for sooooo long, but it's better than being pissed after having put in a great deal of effort over it too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would tell her calmly and directly - in a non-stressful moment like during a phone call to check on something benign - that you are unhappy with her services because (insert non-personal reasons here). Say that you know she wants you to have a good experience so you're hoping she can help figure out how to make things go more smoothly between you. Obviously she can't change the past and your relationship is not going to be repaired, but it might make her take extra care in the future.

Also, if she is not a broker with her own stable of agents but simply an agent herself, call her brokerage and ask to speak to the broker. Let the broker who holds her license know you're unhappy, and he or she may be able to convince your agent to let another agent take over servicing of your contract - as long as it's at no cost to you (as it should be) that might work well.

Good luck! Selling long-distance is super stressful....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"