Breastfeeding

At a lost Of what to do

I'm looking for some advice and encouragement or answers. I don't truly don't know I'm all over the place. I've been trying to breastfeed and in the hospital we got my DS to latch mostly with a nipple shield because his sugar was low and we needed to feed him quickly. Well that wasn't enough so they took him in the hospital to get IV to bring his sugar up plus they let me come and breastfeed. After finally stabilizing his sugar he came back to our room but still seemed to be struggling with keep his sugar good so they had me try to pump but didn't get much and made me supplement with formula around 10ml. However feeding him every 2-3 hours sometimes is hard with his jaundice. Plus the 10ml never seemed enough because he just wants to keep eating. Finally my milk is in but he won't always latch on the nipple shield now too or feed sometimes less than 10 mins and sometimes more than 5 mins. So I decided to start pumping every 2-3 hours to keep my milk up and feeding him that way with a bottle. So every 2-3 hours he eating like 4 ounces of expressed milk in a bottle. However still seems like he never has enough. What do you think? I'm like going crazy here and I see the pediatrician on Monday again but I even told her about his constant hunger and she didn't seem worried. I mean he is very active, hungry, pooping lots, and peeing lots so I know he should be getting enough. He sleeps but lately has been more alert and awake. I even gave him a pacifier to try to stop his need for the nipple and overeating too much even though the pediatrician wanted me to wait since I was trying to get him to wean off the bottles and nipple shield to go to breast only because he tries to latch on my boob sometimes but can't and I think he might have nipple confusion now too. I'm struggling here. I know you all can help support me with some FTM advice... Ps his weigh seems okay too: his birth weight was 7lbs9ounces on December 10 then when I went to the doctor on Monday he only lost 1 ounce then I had to go back on Wednesday to check his bilirubin levels and he weighed 7lbs9ounces. Any advice, answers, and such will do. Just don't know...

Re: At a lost Of what to do

• Also, I was worried that my newborn was only eating for 10 minutes. I felt horrible and that it wasn't working, but doctor told me that 10 minues for a newborn is just fine. Try to relax. As long as he is gaining, pooping, peeing and not jaundice, you are doing better than you think. Try to relax and know you are probably doing better than you think. I totally went through the same thing
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"