Pregnant after IF
Options

Is it crazy to think about getting a second (adult) dog right now?

As you may recall we had to put our sweet kitty to sleep a few weeks ago, and our big house feels so empty with just us and one dog. I actually requested the Toxoplasmosis antibody test from my OB this week, and it came back negative, meaning I've never been exposed. This means that we won't risk getting another cat while I'm still pregnant, even though the chances of a new cat having Toxoplasmosis are very low. However, there's no medical reason (to my knowledge) we can't get another dog, which is something we've been considering for ages. Our greyhound, Duke, really is a lot happier when there's a second dog around; greyhounds spend their years on the track constantly surrounded by many dogs, and some of them have a lot of anxiety when left alone. Duke has never seemed anxious, but he loves when other dogs come to visit, and we actually think it might be easier for him to have a buddy once the baby is here, as I'm sure he won't be getting as much attention as usual.

We'd be carefully selecting a calm, adult dog with a proven record of being safe around other dogs, kids, and cats. I don't feel like this is all that crazy an idea, but I wanted to see what other people think before we get carried away. Thoughts??
**********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage

Re: Is it crazy to think about getting a second (adult) dog right now?

• Options
    I'd be much more likely to take on another adult dog but definitely not a puppy. We may not have a choice if DH takes a new position at work and they won't let him work with our 11month old lab. How are you doing otherwise? Stress level ok? I know that things have been so crazy for me that if given a choice if say no. Two months ago, no problem.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    I am a biased, dog person and not an expert, but it sounds like a vetted, adult dog would be good for you and your family. 

My two cents, After the baby it will be harder to add more to your plate but now might be a better transition time?

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it would work out.  With an adult dog, you'll already have an idea about their personality, and you still have time to adjust.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options
    @Neesey - What the heck kind of job has stipulations about your household pets? :-/

@1220winterbride - Exactly our thinking!

@AMShark - The break begins as soon as I'm done with the grading...which will probably be tomorrow (600 freaking pages of final papers this semester!!!). I have a course release in the spring, so I'll just have the one class (with a doctoral student helping, as she'll take over once I give birth) starting the last week in January. We're going out of town on Monday, but would be looking to get a second dog once we're back. As for the construction, it's actually pretty well contained and has made good progress. Floors will be done today, then it's just a matter of finish work like trim and painting. And I'm super excited to take an adult dog home from the shelter! Anyone up for a cry?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vAdCvq1Hj-k
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I'd totally do it if we didn't already have two dogs. I'd still probably do it if we weren't having twins, but I'm a crazy dog lady. I think you'll have plenty of time to adjust before baby gets here. I want to see pics of said dog if you get one!
    **********SIGGY/TICKER WARNING**********

ALL WELCOME!

TTC since 04/12
    Me- 26 PCOS
    DH- 28 MFI
    10/13 IUI #1 (1 follie)- BFP!
    11/13 M/C @9 wk due to tetraploidy, one little boy in heaven
    01/14 IUI#2 (1 follie) BFN
    02/14 IUI #3 (3 follies) BFN
    03/14 IUI #4 (2 follies) BFN
    05/14 IVF/ICSI #1 CXL
    07/14 IVF/ICSI #1.2 6R, 6M, 5F, 2T, 2 frosties!
    Transferred 2-5dt  CP
    09/14 FET #1 BFP! Beta #1 52 Beta #2 152!
    10/20/14- It's TWINS!

1/15- TEAM PURPLE!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I keep finding myself browsing the rescue websites to get a second dog, but it's definitely NOT the time for us with only a few weeks from our due date. But given that you've got time still and have a reasonable expectation of the responsibilities of taking on a new dog, I think it's not a bad idea.

I kinda wish we had gotten a second dog six months ago so my dog would have a companion.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    Alicia_R1Alicia_R1 member
    edited December 2014

I know for us having 2 was a lot harder than when we just had 1.  Our older dog kept herself company just fine but we also have 2 very high energy breeds and one is just over a year old, so still has a lot of puppy energy.  

One really hard part for us is getting a pet sitter with 2 dogs.  Our neighbors still will watch them, but it was so much easier on them and the older dog when we just had her.  They would take her to their house and she and their dog got along, doesn't work so well now that we have 2.  Older dog has such serious issues that boarding her is such a bad option. 

They are also more hyper and crash around the house more because there are 2 of them, so it makes me more worried for when I am bigger and more clumsy that I already am and once the baby gets here. 

I think it's a personal preference too and what you can handle.  I can really just only handle cats.  

Me: 34, DH: 32
    TTC Since September 2012
    Dx-PCOS, Anovulation, highly irregular cycles
    March 2013 Comid 50 mg+ TI #1: BFN
    April 2013 Clomid mg + TI #2: BFN
    IVM#1 Aug 2012: BFN
    20 FEB 2014:  CP
    IUI #1 Clomid 100mg  24 FEB 2014: BFN

IUI #2 Clomid 100mg  21 MAR 2014: BFN

IUI#3 Follistim & trigger 21 May 2014: BFN

IVF #1 Follistim & Menopur: 14R, 9M, 7F, transfered 2 day 3 8 cell embies

Beta #1: 7/30: 41  Beta #2 8/1: 96   Beta #3 8/4: 796   EDD:4/9/15

imageimageimage

All Welcome 

• Options
    It's definitely a very personal decision. If it were me, I don't think it would be good timing. But I have already been through having a newborn, one dog and two cats, and it can be quite stressful on me. And I LOVE animals! There are just times when it's too much, like when all of them decide to poop or pee or vomit everywhere, or we want to travel and can't find a pet-sitter for everyone, or when they are demanding more of me than I have to give because I have a toddler and I'm pregnant too. I really do love them and have good times too, but I don't think we will have pets again (after they pass) until the kids are all older. I have also had two dogs at a time before having DS. I should note that all of my dogs have been Mastiffs, so they are very big and very messy. It may also be that my Apollo just recently had two of the biggest vomit messes I have ever seen in my life and many poop accidents because he is getting older. Sorry - just being real!

If you do decide to, thank you for looking at an adult dog! They are so often passed over at rescues and shelters, so that is wonderful :) Good luck!
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility

TTC #1 
    IUI's #1 - #3 Clomid = BFN's, IUI #4 Follistim = BFP
    Grayson arrived via emergency c-section on 7/28/12!

TTC #2 
    IUI's #1 - #4 Follistim = BFN's
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI + PGS: Lupron/Follistim/Menopur
    ER 4/13 - 19R, 13F, 4 PGS tested embryos, 1 normal
    5/14 FET: BFP. Beta #1: 123, Beta #2: 327, Beta #3: 854
    Cora arrived 1/23/15 via RCS!
  • Options
    I agree that getting an adult dog at this stage of the pregnancy might not be so bad for you! But it really depends on you and your family. I know for us, we have 1 dog and I can already imagine just how much more difficult dealing with a newborn and a dog will be when lo arrives. So it would definitely not work for us but it might work for you! Good luck with your decision!

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pblge said:

@Neesey - What the heck kind of job has stipulations about your household pets?

Law enforcement.
     image image image
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    We adopted a puppy almost 5 years ago. He's so well behaved & loving. A couple months ago we dog sat another adult dog for our aunt. He is such a well trained dog as well. Both are bigger lab size, both over 4 yo. I couldn't handle having the two. It was a constant fight for our attention with them & it was annoying & I love this other family dog.

Can you foster one first maybe? I would just hate to see you adopt an adult & realize it won't work out.

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm such a dog person...especially a rescue so my opinion is slightly biased but I say absolutely go for it!

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
    DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
    2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
    November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
    February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
    March-Switched to RE
    April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
    July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
    August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

• Options
    @sunshinedaisies000‌ DH was offered a transfer to interdiction as a K9 officer. He's amazing when it comes to dogs but we don't want another. We have an 11 month old lab (they would consider training her) in addition to our 7 year old lab, shih tzu and cat. I think he's going to pass on it though as another opportunity came along that he is more excited about. If he took the spot and they got him another dog, he'd be locked in to the position for the working life of the dog. That would take him off the table for any promotions for 7-8 years and we aren't ok with that.
     image image image
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    So what are you thinking @pblge‌ ?? Are you getting a doggie??
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Options
    Awwww, yeah, Duke needs a buddy! I hope you find the perfect friend for Duke in your travels :)
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Options
    I wanted to chime in as I'm in a similar situation. We lost our male greyhound in September to cancer, and we decided to wait until the babies are born (twins will be arriving on Tues!) before we look at introducing another grey into the mix. Our female grey just turned 10 and has been much more clingy since our boy passed. Our bigger concern is once we are done with leave, back to work and the kids in daycare...she'll be going from a full house to an empty one. We are waiting though because DH travels for work and with me working full-time + twins, we want to be sure we can handle everything before adding another dog to the mix. We also wanted to be sure that we picked a grey that would be good with babies...it would be too difficult to adopt a dog to discover that he/she is not infant-friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"