Natural Birth

Mantras & Afirmations

Hello, I am putting together a list of positive affirmations and mantras to use during childbirth. I thought I would open up the conversation incase this is helpful to anyone else as well. What are your favorite mantras?

A couple favorites:
My body is working with me, not against me
My body was made for childbirth
This pain cannot hurt me, I am safe

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

Re: Mantras & Afirmations

• Loading the player...
  • It's pretty simple but: "I can do this."
  • Not really a mantra, but I pictured a wave swelling and the receding for each contraction.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• On the hypnobirthing cd by Marie Mongan, the first track is "birthing affirmations". You may like to check this out. There have been a few times throughout pregnancy that self-doubt has creeped in and I really love these affirmations. I'll put it on and say them during a nice bath or in the car sometimes. I am planning to listen to them on our way to the birth house and in early labor. 

I have the actual cd but you can access them a few places online like here:

The second track is a guided meditation that is really just a birth-focused passive muscle relaxation. I rarely get through the whole thing without falling asleep lol so I guess it works! I'll try to use this during more difficult labor to fully relax/surrender. I hope this is helpful to someone!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ok that track I linked above is not exactly what I have at home. The same words but different voice. I like the really relaxing voice of the english/Australian woman on my tapes so maybe a look a few different places if you don't like the voice on that one I linked to. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I naturally started praying out loud "God, please help me be strong" when I was in labor with my second. It was incredibly comforting to me. I must have repeated it a million times right before I started pushing.

Another thing that really brought me relief was just giving myself permission to make whatever noise I wanted too. Sometimes that was groans, grunts, and moans. Just giving myself that release was soothing. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • "Open and soften"- I swear I repeated that in my head with every, single contraction.  Also, similar to PP, I pictured waves in my head.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like "pain only exists if I allow it to exist."
  • "Its only temporary"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • "Open and soften"- I swear I repeated that in my head with every, single contraction.  Also, similar to PP, I pictured waves in my head.  
    I also pictured waves rising and falling because that's the abstract idea that my mind associated with contractions; a wave rising up and then slowly receding. 
    Also, I would focus on the fact that contractions are working to open up my body to give birth. When I did this, I found myself repeating the word "Open" over and over. Or, "Open for the baby". 
    I didn't really plan it that way but that's what worked in the moment!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got this from my turbo jam workout videos- but it always gets me through the toughest part of a workout so I think it would help during childbirth. When it's really intense she says:

"decide you have it!"

Meaning- decide you have the strength to keep going. It's a choice and we are all much more capable than our bodies will sometimes have us believe. Mind over matter!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"