November 2014 Moms

Cloth diaper question

DisneyDee1984DisneyDee1984 member
edited December 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Alright mamas who use cloth diapers--help me out! I never really gave much thought to cloth diapering, but my little lady seems to have a sensitivity to disposable diapers that have resulted in a diaper rash that me and her doctors can't get to go away. So we're looking at switching to cloth and I have no idea what I'm looking at.

What do I need? What's brands do I use? How many do I need? Where do I get them from? Basically, where do I start? I'll do anything to help my poor little girls bum feel better, and all your help is really appreciated! Thanks ladies!

Edited- spelling

Mama to sweet baby girl, Emerson Rose, born November 7th, 2014

Re: Cloth diaper question

• Too many questions to answer here. There are many many options!

It depends on your preferences and budget. I recommend checking out the videos on the cd board faq. It will give you a good basis of info. I'd paste it for you here but I'm on mobile.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • I personally use a cloth diaper service so that I don't have to buy any cloth (just the covers) and I don't have to deal with washing! :)
    But there are many many options available out there! The CD board should be helpful!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Loading the player...
  • I had no idea there was a cloth diaper board! Checking it out now! Any helpful hints would be appreciated

Mama to sweet baby girl, Emerson Rose, born November 7th, 2014

• I love the bumGenius 4.0 and we also supplement with Rumparooz.  I was able to go to a local seller and she went over different types of diapers with me to see what would work best for me.  Also some companies offer a 30 day trial period where you can test what you like.  Buying used to save money is also an option to save money. Everything I purchased was online due to lack of local stores
  • 100% agree with finding a store near by that sells them and going to look at the different types.  This is what I did before I started CDing.  It really helps to look at and feel the different types.

I choose to go with Best Bottom diapers.  I love them and they worked great with my newborn all the way up to potty training around 3 yrs old.  I actually put one on my oldest (almost 4 and 40+ lbs now) a few weeks ago because he had an accident and I didn't have a change of clothing for him.  They are super easy to use and Like that the liner snaps in so it doesn't move around or need pins/clips.  Bonus: made in the USA!!

• PP have provided a lot of good advise. The two things I'd add is there are some CD safe diaper rash treatments like Grandma El's (you can also buy liners if you need to use a heavier duty non-CD friendly cream), and try to stick to natural fibers as they tend to work the begs and avoid getting smelly.

We have for our stash:
    3 Econobum covers
    3 Thirsties covers - Velcro
    3 Thirsties covers - Snap
    12 GMD small prefolds
    12 Bummies size 1 prefolds
    12 Thirsties size 1 prefolds
    4 GMD small workhorses

So far the only preference I've noticed is for the snap covers because they are more comfortable with all the skin to skin we do. And the workhorses are REALLY nice but a lot more money than prefolds. I'm hoping we can add more covers, workhorses and eventually some AIO's as money permits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"