TTC after 35
Options

New to the board. Just turned 36 been TTC since June with no luck yet

Hello, 

I am new to the board. I have been reading on here for a few months now but thought it would be a good time to post! I got married in June 2013. This past Jan I got a new job so we had to hold off on the TTC until the timing would put me in my role after a year (you know the maternity leave rules :) )

I use the Ovia app, I havent been religiously taking OPKs or charting my BBT but I know I need to. I feel like every month I can just tell when I am ovulating as I get the clear CM and my app seems to predict everything correctly. In November since we weren't having luck yet my Dr had me get an HSG on 11/18 and I found out my tubes were open. Hubby doesn't feel comfortable going to get his counts checked, so he did an OTC kit from Target and it came out normal. Weird thing happened like 5 days after my HSG I started having brown spotting (I did have red spotting the day of a little the next day) and then my right eye compulsively twitched for 2 days straight. My spotting lasted about 7-8 (11/23-12/30) days and I thought first could I have been pregnant that fast (I heard the HSG could sometimes help) but I thought no way! We BDd the day after the HSG so I thought perhaps.. well a bunch of BFNs and I figured not the case and chalked it up as AF coming a week early. My Dr said HSG does not affect your cycle.. but I think that is untrue.

Last week according to Ovia and I took some OPKs that I was ovulating around 12/8. We Bd'd on 12/8, 12/10 (we tried the Stork OTC this day) and then again on 12/11. I had the clear stretchy CM and everything then. Well then weirdest thing ever. Starting last night I started getting cramps that felt like AF. Then I had even more CM the stretchy egg white kind and still have cramps today. I took an OPK to see was it inaccurate last week, but it came up negative. WEIRD again! AF is due around 12/21 so I dont know if this could be implantation or just another weird HSG side effect happening again and AF is coming early. Any ideas? I would love any help or support. I just really wish this is our month!!! 

Re: New to the board. Just turned 36 been TTC since June with no luck yet

• Options
    First, welcome and best wishes!
    Second, I have no experience or knowledge re hsg's other's may and will probably comment, but if my doctor said something and I didn't believe him I'd be looking for another physician one that I trusted his expertise in.
    I hope you find you have no need, but the general thought as we hit the 35 mark is to ttc with well timed intercourse for six months and if you are ready to at that point move on to an RE for further testing and assistance.
    I highly suggest if you aren't + this cycle then read Taking Charge Of Your Fertility, look into charting with fertility friend and make use of your bbt!
    Again, best wishes
  • Options
    Welcome!  I have been having "ovulation cramps" for about 3 months now.. at least once a week. LOL.  It's amazing the tricks your mind and body play on you during this journey.  Have to echo @kelley72 if you don't trust your ob/gyn get a new one.  It's going to be at least a 9 month journey with them so you want to trust them. 
    me:41   dh:43 
    Off Mirena Nov 2013, On Nuvaring end of Jan, Back off Sept 2014.  Never ending cycle starting end of Sept... 
    11/14 Provera failed... cycle continues 
    12/14 High FSH (57 "midcycle")  OBGYN had no clue... about anything 
    01/15 More lab results coming back from RE. U/S showed small (1")cyst on left ovary, thin lining, and couldn't locate right ovary so  possibly straight to DE and IVF 

Occassionally mess with the chart below to see "what if" and learn (not to make it pretty but because FF stays drunk with me).  

My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments! Its so hard when it comes to a dr and finding the "right" one. Especially that I likely may need more of a fertility dr and definitely a new OB at this point and I can't ask friends for recommendations as  I dont want to tell them we are TTC because it just adds to the disappointment every month when its a BFN and people keep wondering you know!? What would you recommend?
  • Options
    don't have much to add since I know not much if anything about HSGs, but wanted to say welcome and good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks again! Good luck to you all too :)

Random question: Have any of you experienced EWCM and OPK -?? I got OPK + last week and a little EWCM and now yesterday and today I have a lot of EWCM and cramping but OPK says -. I know you ovulate once per cycle so that is weird to me

Confusing!!!
  • Options
    Yes, ewcm even after confirmed O with bbt but it is know big deal.  That is why temping is so important, +opks and ewcm point to fertile state but don't confirm ovulation.  You (general you not necessarily you in particular) can have multiple lh surges without ovulation.
  • Options
    Thanks Kelley that makes sense! 
  • Options
    Hello and welcome to the board!

I am not familiar with hsg's so no help there and good advice has already been given. I want to second (or third or fourth) fertility friend and temping. 

Good luck to you!
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    I had an HSG (miserable experience), however my cycle didn't change and I had no side effects (not even any spotting).  I was a little shaky for about an hour after the procedure but that was it.  So, I am doubting that you are having HSG side effects nearly a month later.  Of course, the best idea would be to ask your RE.
  • Options
    @spartandawg I second you on the HSG experience! Worst pain I have experienced to date in life! 

I just signed up for FF today and looking at the ovulation predictor calendar on there VS Ovia is tremendously different. Do either of you prefer one tracker over the other?
  • Options
    emsmama15emsmama15 member
    edited December 2014
    Hi and welcome! You'll find a lot of the ladies here use, and prefer FF. It learns your cycles and can help predict things better. The best (only) way to confirm ovulation though is by temping. My recommendation is that if you feel you've had well timed intercourse for six months, just head to a RE. Don't waste time with an OBGYN. Which is not to say you don't need a new one if you don't trust the one you have. Good luck!l
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    Welcome.
    Everyone else gave great advice.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• Options
    Welcome to the board!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome! Nothing to add (except FF is awesome). Good luck!
    36, DH 31 TTC #1 since we got married, July 2014. http://FertilityFriend.com/home/522fa4/
  • Options
    After my HSG I also had some spotting off and on. My HSG hurt like hell too. I feel your pain!

Also FYI the OTC SA kit will only test sperm count. So it's a good place to start, but it cannot tell you motility, morphology and PH.

I used to use phone Apps when I first starting TTC. But in reality, an app can't factor in that you were stressed or sick and didn't O when your app said your should have even though you got EWCM. You can only know for sure that you O'd if you temped.

Good luck to you, and FX this was your month.
  • Options
    Welcome. I agree with the PPs' advice. 

FWIW, I have fertile CM for around five or six days before my positive OPK. 

GL to you!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    welcome.  I often have EWCM that is not timed with temp or an OPK. So I find it really confusing too.
    TTC #1
    me- 37, DH- 38
    Married 6.28.14, started TTC right away
    BFP Nov 2015, PPROM Feb 2016
    ER #1 May 2017, 15 retrieved, 10 fertilized, 3 day 5.
    ER#2 July 2017, 22 retrieved, 13 fertilized, 6 day 5/6
    9 embryos tested for pgs and pgd.  
    FET #1 9.29.17- 1 embryo-BFN
    FET#2 12.19.17- I embryo-BFP 1/1/18! Happy New Year to me! EDD 9/6/18
    Baby boy born 9.11.18- the love of my life!

• Options
    Welcome and good luck!
    <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5677e2">My Ovulation Chart</a>
  • Options
    Welcome & Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks again everyone! if i havent been temping regularly is the best time to start when i start my period?
  • Options
    Just want to say Welcome! I have no experience with HSG or temping/charting as I'm monitored closely by my RE. Good luck though!
  • Options
    welcome and good luck!
    41 & single; DX:  PCOS
    TTC #1 with IUI and donor sperm
    First IUI May, 2014, Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    Second IUI July, 2014, Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    Third IUI Dec, 2014, Femara + Follistim + Trigger = BFN
    Fourth IUI Feb 2015, Femara + Follistim + Trigger = C/P :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"