Stay at Home Moms

SAH with an income?

I am looking around for advice or ideas from any stay at home mom's that may do a part-time job or something from home that still allows them to get some income? Right now we have baby #2 on the way and in the last couple days I have been doing alot of figuring with numbers and things...I am starting to worry that more of my pay check will go to daycare than to our income which would only make things tighter for us than they already are. I'm still very unsure if staying home would be the right thing for our situation but thought I should examine all options-maybe I could stay home and find something part-time or something to do from home so I could still contribute financially?

I know no one can provide the right answer for me here but any ideas from other mama's would be very much appreciated...I am feeling so torn!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SAH with an income?

• Thanks ladies! Any further ideas are still appreciated but its so nice to hear from other mom's. I am looking at some options that I would have for evenings. DH's schedule sometimes flows into evening hours too so I am trying to think of possible babysitter/daycare options we could have in that case too. We will get something figured out with some brainstorming and budgeting!
  • What do you do now? Your options/ my answer depends on that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I work in-home with low income families through a community action agency. LOVE my job but I know that going part-time would not be an option with it. Maybe for a bit after maternity leave to work back into things but there just are not enough of us for me to try and do that permanently and keep up.

However, I also teach dance one night per week. The income from that is not currently enough to be all I make but I have a strong feeling that if I went back to teach next year I could increase my class size & income or even teach a few nights per week.

One other option I would possibly have is a restaurant a block from our house. I live in small, small town Iowa and this restaurant is very well known and always booming. If they had the need for hire, I could work there less than 20 hours per week and make close to full time money-would fully depend if they need anyone though.

• That's a tough situation :(

Many ladies on this board over the years have contributed their part-time money-making ideas that included:

Pizza/other delivery a few nights a week or on weekends
    Uber/car share driver
    Waitressing/bartending on weekends
    Selling products (Avon, Jamberry, Rodan + Fields)
    Nanny share/babysitting
    Weekend retail job (you could chose a children's clothing store and use your employee discount to help with kid's clothes expenses :) )

VERY best of luck as you explore your options!!!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I coach gymnastics on Saturday mornings and one night a week
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I SAH with no income, but have friends who do both. One has a husband who works the night shift and she works for an after school program. Her husband is home with their daughter for the hours that she works, but she also has family that is able to keep her if he is not.

I have another friend who works night shift herself 2-3 nights per week so her husband is home while she works, then they send their kids to a mother's day out program at a local church for a few hours on the mornings after she works so that she can get some sleep.

I have considered taking care of another child in my neighborhood during the day for extra income, but honestly I'm already so busy with my two (and a third on the way) that I don't know how I'd cope with having someone else's kid to watch too.
  • Thanks ladies. I do know of a friend that has a 1 year old in our small town that I thought I could offer daycare to (if she would even be interested) but our dog is a bit of a concern for that...love him to death but don't trust him around kids other than our own. :(

Thanks again for all these suggestions, it will help to have various ideas when I sit down tonight with hubby to discuss this more in depth. There are just so many factors that make it a very difficult decision! But I believe everything happens for a reason!

• I know some ladies in my bmb have looked into transcription jobs. I'm not sure how much it pays. It sounds like the restaurant near you would be a good option.

My stepmom owns her own business, so I'm lucky that I can work from home for her and bring in some money. I'm also working towards getting my real estate license to give myself another option in the future.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Keep in mind also that even if you are breaking even with daycare or not even quite breaking even, if you don't really WANT to SAH you are still better off working. Due to benefits, career growth potential over time, value of retirement savings, etc, you still come out "ahead" financially in the long-term, usually, by investing in your career growth. 

I wanted to SAH and for us it's a good choice for now, but the "long term" factors of what I was giving up in income, benefits, etc over time are still something I worry about.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks all! I agree @NicoleWI ...I would love to stay home, but I think the hesitations I do have deal with the future. My husband supplies our insurance benefits with his job but I do have great retirement at mine that I will be giving up.
    Still in debate about things for sure but so appreciate all the input! Gives added things to think about!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"