Cloth Diapering

Starting my stash - Help please! :)

I apologize for posting and running, but I have an OB appointment in a few.
I'll be checking back during the wait time and afterwards for sure. I need some wisdom from CD vets.

This past weekend DH and I purchased a few items to get us started for the newborn stage.
2 Thirsties Duo Covers
1 Rumparooz Cover
2 Simplex AIO
1 Bummis Superbright

Along with these we bought some prefolds, snappis, and some inserts. I'm hoping to order a couple dozen flats today.

I see myself utilizing flats and covers the most, and keeping a few fitted and/or AIO around for overnight/grandparents house/ church nursery etc.

So, my question is - I've been reading a lot of good things about the Kawaii Happy covers and am thinking of supplementing my stash with these. If I purchase a dozen or so along with a few dozen flats do I look like I'm in good shape to get started or should I purchase a few more specifically NB covers? Do the Kawaii actually fit a newborn since they are one sized? That is the information I am having trouble finding. 

It's all so overwhelming. Also, could you please recommend your favorite detergent for your cloth? I have read chart after chart, but am having trouble making a decision.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Starting my stash - Help please! :)

• I haven't had any experience with Kawaii specifically, but most one sized diapers won't fit newborns very well, especially around the legs. I felt like one size covers started working well around 12 pounds for us. I think your stash sounds good, provided you don't have a lot of poop leaks into your covers. As far as detergent goes, I use original powdered Tide and haven't had any issues (I use prefolds and fitteds with covers :))
  • You'll need NB covers for a NB.  I have 10 which is too many.  You could do 6.  I have a combo of Assunta Tiny, Blueberry Coveralls, and Thirsties Duo Size 1 covers.

We use Tide powder.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies. Can you use Tide Powder in HE machines? I've never used a powdered before.
  • Detergent choice comes down to a few different things --

Do you want the convenience of a mainstream detergent that you can pick up while doing your other shopping? Tide is very popular. But in some parts of the country, you can also get Charlie's, Nellie's or Country Save at the grocery store.

Are allergies or chemical sensitivities a concern? If so then you will want to stick with something that doesn't have fragrances, and you may also want to avoid enzymes and brighteners. Most CD-safe detergents will fit this description. F&C detergents are generally not recommended for CDs.

Do you have hard water? Tide works very well in hard water. Or, if the detergent  you choose doesn't seem to work very well in hard water, adding Calgon to it will usually improve matters. I use Tiny Bubbles with Calgon added, and my water is in the ~300ppm range for hardness.

• @Freezorburn Thank you very much!

That was super informative. We do have hard water, so I may try Tide at first simply for the convenience of being able to find it in-store in my area. Is the powder suggested due to ease of rinsing rather than the liquid? Again, I've never used a powder before so I'm a bit lost.

I've heard a lot about Charlie's Soap, but also read that if you decide to use that for your diapers you will need to start washing everything in it because it will pull your regular detergent residue into your CD's?
  • @Freezorburn Thank you very much!

That was super informative. We do have hard water, so I may try Tide at first simply for the convenience of being able to find it in-store in my area. Is the powder suggested due to ease of rinsing rather than the liquid? Again, I've never used a powder before so I'm a bit lost.

I've heard a lot about Charlie's Soap, but also read that if you decide to use that for your diapers you will need to start washing everything in it because it will pull your regular detergent residue into your CD's?

I think it is primarily a rinsing issue with the liquid detergents in that whatever keeps them in suspension doesn't rinse as well. You can buy HE powder Tide and others. Using powders isn't too bad...worse case is if the detergent isn't dissolving well you predissolve in a little water in a small jar and add to dispenser as a liquid.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Thanks for the replies. Can you use Tide Powder in HE machines? I've never used a powdered before.
    Look for the HE logo on the box. I'm pretty sure all Tide powder is now HE.
    Just dump it directly into the drum, don't put it in the detergent drawer.

We didn't CD until tiny was 4 weeks... and by then he was fitting in 4.0s, so I'm no help with nb stuff.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
  • Thanks for all the replies!
  • Also, what is a good number of flats to have on hand, assuming it is my primary choice. I know sometimes you use more than one at a time, but is that the case with NB very often?
  • NvywifeNvywife member
    edited December 2014
    Yes tide powder has a HE formula I purchased it a few weeks back.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • @samanthajphoto I've never used more than one flat at a time on my newborn, he doesn't need the absorbency and it'd be crazy bulky. At 14 lbs (8.5 weeks) I'm using doublers here and there but a 2nd flat would still be overkill in my situation.

As I learned here, 36 changes is the recommended amount so unless you supplement with something else you should consider 3 dozen. If you end up loving flats you can use them forever! Only risk is if you don't, in which case you may wish you tried something else. Green Mountain Diapers nb prefolds and fitteds get a lot of love here if you're looking for ideas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would get more covers (loved RAR) and personally with lots of MOTN changes I like AIOs because it was fast for bleary eyed parents.
    There is a learning curve so we went through a lot of covers. We didn't always get a few good changes before washing a cover. FWIW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If you want primarily flats, I would probably go with 24 flats and then a dozen of some combination of prefolds and fitteds. JMO.
  • Ahhh.. I'm so thankful for all of your guy's input as a resource. I was up all night worrying about diapers. Haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"