Attachment Parenting
Options

Sleep when sick

My DD is one year old and has a virus along with pink eye. She was asleep by her normal time if 7 pm but has been awake since 9:30 (coughing, rubbing eyes, generally seems uncomfortable) and it is now 1 am. I'm wondering what you do when your kids are sick and don't sleep well.

Do you let them sleep as long as they want the next day or do you try to keep them on their schedule? DD is usually up around 5am with naps around 8 and 12. I'm debating keeping her on her schedule so she will sleep tomorrow night but I also want to make sure she is getting all the rest she needs.

Re: Sleep when sick

• Options
    neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited December 2014
    Ugh.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this. 

I always figure that all bets are off when a child is sick.  When my kids are sick, I am really lenient about sleep routines, TV, snacks, everything.  Then when the child is feeling better I get back on the routine as quickly, but gently, as possible.

Hopefully you won't have the double-whammy I always seemed to deal with when my kids were small: child gets sick and disrupts the routine, then just as the child is feeling better and raring to go after several days of down-time, I would get sick.  Ugh.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!! We've been putting her to bed a little earlier but she is still up at 5 am, which is the usual time we get up and get ready. Luckily her pink eye is gone just waiting for her cold to run it's course. Fingers crossed my DH and I don't get sick!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"