May 2013 Moms
Options

Minor Burns

girlyjogirlyjo member
edited December 2014 in May 2013 Moms
Hi, I'm a lurker. I used to post last year a bit but not so much anymore. I just wanted some advice or reassurance. Please be understanding, we're not careless parents.

We had a freak accident while frying potatoes for dinner last night. DS (19mo) managed to be in the worst spot when the oil splashed and now has, thankfully, very minor burns on his cheek. Not quite dime sized circles from his nose to his temple under his eye, below the bottom lashes, not too close to his actual eye. We're very thankful it wasn't worse, but how should we make him comfortable. He won't take a cold pack on his face. I've been giving him baby tylenol. I'm just scared and nervous and ashamed that I let this happen. I feel like a terrible mother and horrible person in general.
I don't think the burns will blister, they look like shiny sunburn spots. He woke up in the night crying and I gave him more tylenol. What to do?

Any advice to make him comfy? Any experience with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Minor Burns

• Options
    So sorry this happened!   I understand you feel really bad about this.   But try not to feel guilty, I don't think this is a reflection on your parenting and I am sure you are a good parent it is just that accidents happen!
    I would call your pedi for advice.   I am thinking neosporin might help but I would get some expert opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I have a friend whose son had a scalding burn from when they were packing up at a hotel and LO got to the tub. His was on his arm, but they told her to keep that area covered from the sun for a full year to prevent scarring. Since your LOs burn is on the face, I personally would follow up with the doctor just to know exactly what to do. ETA: And you're not a bad mom.....accidents happen.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"