August 2015 Moms
Options

I NEED HELP..woman to woman advice :(

edited December 2014 in August 2015 Moms
So my fiance and I found out last week that I am pregnant (4w1d) and this past Tuesday my future sister-in-law had a miscarriage with her fourth child at 5 months. She had to have a d&c. To say the least it's been a very emotional week for the family. She was due in May, I was so excited to know that we would be pregnant together but now she's in a totally different boat than I am presently. I just need some advice on how to tell her and the family that I'm pregnant. I'm really just more concerned with her. We were going to have a special announcement at Xmas as a gift but is that too soon? Or should we wait until the 12 week mark? I don't want to seem rude and inconsiderate of her and her husband's feelings.

Re: I NEED HELP..woman to woman advice :(

• Options
    I think you should go ahead with your plans but tell her before hand. That way she can excuse herself if she feels she can't handle it. But tell her privately sometime in the days before Christmas.
  • Options
    Your so early I would wait, (but I am a wait till I clear about 10 weeks, had two losses and would rather not have to share sad news) but as PP said tell her first quietly and respectfully regardless of when you decide to do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Her husband had a vasectomy in the beginning of November, so even if they wanted to try again they can't. And knowing how she is, it won't matter if I tell her privately or to rest of the in laws at the same time. They have three girls right now and were hoping that there fourth was going to be a boy, but I always said they would have 4 girls and the miscarriage was a girl (even when they were pregnant with their first i knew that they would have all girls! Crazy how our intuitions are!) And I have a feeling that this baby will be a boy. It will be the first grandson. I just feel that she will take it personally no matter what! I hate to say this because I love her, but she's immature in that way (everything and every convo has to be about her). And she always loved and craved the attention from everyone for being the pregnant lady and having the newborns. So now that it's ended for her and it's my time now to be "that pregnant lady", I just know she is going to be really tough to be around during this pregnancy, even long after we tell her. Gahh, there's just no good way to handle this.
  • Options
    I would go ahead and tell her first, before the announcement in a show of support and sensitivity for what she's been through and to make sure she would be emotionally able to handle it. Respect if she chooses to not be present and get her a great Christmas gift if she supports you. Christmas is still under almost 2 weeks away, so that gives a little buffer of time.
    I've noticed some people believe you should wait until 6, 8, 10 or 12 weeks before saying anything, but I personally don't agree with that in regards to telling close family--if something happened to my baby, I would want the support of my immediate family. And it doesn't seem you're making the announcement IMMEDIATELY after her loss. I wish you good luck making a VERY difficult decision.
  • Options
    I agree with other posters. Even if you don't think it's going to make a difference, I think the most sensitive thing is to tell her in a way that guarantees her reaction to your news will be private. I think email is best. If you tell her in person or on the phone, she might feel obligated to react a certain way. If you text her, she might read it in a less than ideal spot.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably wait longer to tell. On top of being sensitive to your sil, the extended family may feel awkward celebrating your news in front of her.
  • Options
    I agree with the other posters. I once had a miscarriage in October and 2 months later, a comment was made on Christmas that left me bawling and very hurt. And I had 2 months to process and was 9 weeks along.

This is her child that passed away and 2 weeks is nothing in terms of healing. I would wait honestly because wow that wound is going to be raw and I think family should be focused on helping her through Christmas. With DS, my father in law passed away around announcing time, and I just ended up not announcing for a while because I was so busy making sure family was ok and grieving and I never thought about announcing. And that was at 11 weeks.
  • Options
    I want to add, my son passed away in April at 8 months and this is going to be the hardest christmas of my life (even though I'm now pregnant again). I'm super excited for you and I'm sure she will be too, but she is going to be barely holding it together on Christmas. Please try to protect her a little. You can't imagine the pain. If your in laws can keep a secret, maybe you can visit them right afterwards and break the news then, alone!
    Trigger Warning (LC and loss) -- 
    Married May 2008 
    Beautiful daughter Alyssa born April 23, 2011 
    Precious son Isaac born at 34 weeks in April 27, 2014 with Potters Syndrome Type 4 and Down Syndrome - trusted into the arms of Jesus after 3 hours.
    Pregnant again! Due August 8, 2015 please be healthy, little one!

(results on 2/4/15 showed no Down's and it's a girl!) Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Above posters have lots of good points. I would also think about what announcing at Christmas would feel to her children.  They were just getting used to the idea of #4 and now that is gone and I'm sure mom isn't at her finest now.  Telling the rest of the family on Christmas and making mom even more upset seems like it will make the holiday miserable for them.  I would wait just for that reason.  If you really want to tell your parents could you stay after SIL leaves and tell them then? Or do a Christmas Eve reveal before SIL gets there and swear them to secrecy?

BFP #1 ended with H born 2/2/13
    BFP #2 ended in loss @7weeks 10/15/14
    BFP #3 due 8/21/15 *please stick*
  • Options
    I think that you are all taking the "immature"part not in the way I intended. What I meant by it is this: miscarriage aside, she is not a person that take anyone else's good news well because she likes to be the center of attention. When I got engaged, she stormed out the room with the in laws when we made the announcement to everyone. Gave me dirty looks, and the only thing she said to me after the announcement for the rest of the night was "you shouldn't have gotten a ring like that, trust me when you have kids you'll be annoyed".

So ladies, what I'm trying to say is now WITH her having the miscarriage, its going to be tougher no matter how I tell her. I was going to tell her privately first regardless. I love my sil, but I'm walking on eggshells with this one. I just know she will be devasted, and I know how I am, I will feel like the whole thing is my fault.

I mean, there's no way I could've known that that was going to happen and me get pregnant pretty much at the same time! The week before. Ughhhhhh I feel horrible :(

And for the women who took what I was saying the wrong way, I watch her kids for three days while this happened and cried the entire first day because I was going to be the nanny of that baby :( the entire family was devastated, including me. I'm just the type of person that avoids conflict so I'm trying to figure the best way how to handle this!
  • Options
    @NariaDreaming‌ @runningmommy519‌ please read my last post. I'm really sorry y'all took it that way because that's not how I meant it!
  • Options
    @danaalex‌ please read my last post!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @bibliothecary‌ well it's the truth :) just clarifing
  • Options
    meg2j said:

I feel like you are not going to get an overwhelmingly happy response from anyone on that side of the family. They will all be thinking of her during this time.

That's how I feel, because we are all thinking of her and her husband right now, so maybe we'll save the Xmas announcement for another baby in the future if we're lucky. My fiance wants to tell everyone for Xmas and I don't anymore because of what happened. We've had many heated discussions in the past few days. That's why I wanted to ask the ladies on here. And honestly it's his family so he's going to do what he wants but I really hope he changes his mind. I told him I'm telling her first in private and he doesn't want me to :( he said that it's not about her. (They don't get along at all). I've been praying so much about this!
  • Options
    @babyhebert18‌

Well, you can't stop your fiancé from telling his family, but you certainly don't need his permission to give her the heads up. And I'm troubled by his lack of concern for her feelings. I can't imagine going through what she's going through and having a family member scoff that "it's not about her".
  • Options
    @Catcherryesux‌ I know!!!! When I say we had "heated discussions" that was putting it lightly, with the mood swings I been having! Lol He just really can't stand her, if you read some of my previous comments you'll have an idea why. But that's no excuse for him not to be sensitive to her and his brothers feeling right now. I'm just hoping that he'll come around and want to wait like I do.
  • Options
    @NariaDreaming‌ I totally understand. I'm so sorry for your loss!!! :(

He was the one who originally wanted to do the Xmas thing and I wanted to wait until I was 12 weeks. But with my sil's miscarriage it changes it. So I've been trying to tell him that that's even more reason to wait. He just doesn't understand that I could have a miscarriage being this early on, and he's so excited. I just don't know what to do. Because he's not one for someone telling him what to do, men in the south (Louisiana, Cajun country) are like that. I just have a feeling that it will be so uncomfortable if we said it at Xmas for everyone. And I told him it looks EXTREMELY selfish and inconsiderate to OUR family that just had a loss.
  • Options
    @babyhebert18‌

Can't he just tell his parents then? Does it absolutely have to be a formal announcement with a full audience?
  • Options

@babyhebert18‌

Can't he just tell his parents then? Does it absolutely have to be a formal announcement with a full audience?

His parents CAN NOT keep anything to themselves. So if we tell them its like telling the whole world and my sil will find out via someone else and I don't that at all. When my sil found out that she was pregnant, at 5 weeks they only told my fiances parents. The fil then turned around and told the whole family EVEN after they told them to keep it a secret not to tell anyone.
  • Options
    @babyhebert18‌ - I'm confused. You don't want to tell the parents because they'll blab, but your husband wants to tell everyone anyways at 6 weeks?

I think a Christmas announcement where the SIL hears about it in front of everyone on an already loaded day for her is way worse than hearing it in passing from gossipy inlaws. I guess the best you can do if you can't talk him out of the announcement, give her some advance warning that it's coming.
  • Options
    @Catcherryesux‌ if he really has it in his mind to do it at Xmas, I will tell her privately first and then hell tell his parents. I'd rather her know from me no matter what. If she finds out from someone else, she'll probably feel like I don't care about her enough to do it in private directly to her. I don't want that.
  • Options
    @CGMB‌ i feel the same way! But my hubby doesn't. That why we've been fighting over it :( but I've been praying about it a lot and hearing what you all have to say confirms how I feel. I feel that it will all work out and that he will choose to wait like I want. My original announcement idea was to have a photoshoot with us and our dog and the last picture be of our dog wearing a sign saying only child crossed out and older sister written under it, put in a book and have the family "check out the pics we took ;)". I really don't think he wants to see me and the whole family upset. He's frustrated that he feels like he can't celebrate his happiness with the family because the sil just had a miscarriage. And I told him well, its partly being mature and an adult and mostly because they are family and we love them and don't want to pour salt on their wounds. I think he'll ultimately want to do my announcement (which we will be taking the pics at the end of January when I'm starting to show)
  • Options
    @CGMB‌ and plus I'm so early that if I do miscarry it's going to be sooo hard telling everyone and having to say it over and over again. I heard that's one of the hardest parts about m/c. So I told the hubs that if we do wait, they have time to heal and it won't hurt as much when we tell them in two months like it would if we told them in two weeks, AND if I do m/c I won't have to tell everyone.
  • Options
    CGMB said:

Ok, well I highly doubt you're going to be showing in January. So I don't know where you're getting that. 

Announce how ever you want. I'm just saying it would be a dick move to do it on Christmas. And however you do it, I think telling your sister ahead of time (like before she gets a picture announcement) is the respectful way to go.
    @CGMB‌ at the very end of January I will be almost 12 weeks.
  • Options
    @CGMB‌ and with the bloat I'm having, by 12 weeks I'll probably look farther along than I am...ugh sigh lol but in previous comments I've already stated that I'm telling her privately first and then the rest of his family.
  • Options

CGMB said:

Ok, well I highly doubt you're going to be showing in January. So I don't know where you're getting that. 

Announce how ever you want. I'm just saying it would be a dick move to do it on Christmas. And however you do it, I think telling your sister ahead of time (like before she gets a picture announcement) is the respectful way to go.
    @CGMB‌ at the very end of January I will be almost 12 weeks.

Most FTM's dont start showing until weeks 16-20 (and some even later)

Oh really? I didn't know that, I heard from a few that some start showing around 12-13 weeks. But this is my first pregnancy so I'm new to the pregnancy world!
  • Options
    @Karlamo‌ thank you so much for sharing!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear your story but I'm glad you know how I feel somewhat! I didn't plan on telling her via text or email. I plan on telling in person and in private and wanted to wait to announce until I was around 12 weeks. The hubs is the one who feels differently, so I've been praying and trying to convince him to do what I believe and what you all believe too! I agree with everything you said! Thanks again!!!
  • Options
    @NariaDreaming‌ @CGMB‌ thanks ladies! The info I had was wrong. I'm so glad I found this app, I pretty much know nothing on pregnancy and talking to women who've had children before or are having a child is comforting because I feel all alone in this until we do make the announcement to everyone. My man can't understand all the hormones, soar boobs and cramps :(
  • Options
    It sounds like your husband doesn't like her at all and thus doesn't care about her (or his brothers, I guess) feelings or how the whole family will feel when you announce this.  It sounds like he has some feelings that he needs to work out outside of this situation - it's like he wants to dare everyone to feel bad for her while he shares his news about him.  I really don't think it's going to end well for you or your husband - the news might not be received with the joy you want, and that will be forever what you remember when you think about your first pregnancy.  I would wait til Valentines day to give the family the time to grieve this devastating loss.

It's not the same, but on the note of dealing with family drama / loss and sharing good news...my family already knows I'm expecting a baby, but I wouldn't say that anyone has been super ecstatic about it.  My brother is dealing with an episode of his mental illness and my family is in knots about it.  I won't be talking much about the pregnancy over the Christmas vacation because of the crisis going on.  It is what it is - we can be really happy about my news/event later, but right now we have to focus on my brother.  In the same vein, focus on your SIL and BIL.  They need it a lot more than you or your husband right now.
  • Options

@Karlamo‌ thank you so much for sharing!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear your story but I'm glad you know how I feel somewhat! I didn't plan on telling her via text or email. I plan on telling in person and in private and wanted to wait to announce until I was around 12 weeks. The hubs is the one who feels differently, so I've been praying and trying to convince him to do what I believe and what you all believe too! I agree with everything you said! Thanks again!!!

::lurking::

As a loss mom, I disagree with @Karlamo‌'s advice about not telling via text or email. I think that an email or text is the BEST way to tell your SIL so that she can react in private however she feels without having to worry about hiding her emotions in front of you. Let her process the news privately, then, when she's ready, she can respond and congratulate you. A phone call or in person announcement will put her on the spot. I guarantee you that she would probably just be looking for the quickest getaway so she can go cry in privacy. Because even if she is happy for you, it's going to be a reminder of what she has lost. Don't put her in that position.
    You don't think that that's too impersonal? Even if I wait until I'm 12 weeks?
  • Options
    @babyhebert18‌ No. I've seen these type of posts many times before on multiple boards and the majority of loss moms prefer to be told over email or text so that they don't have to worry about their reaction. Some will say phone or in person if it's someone they are really close to, but that is a very situational thing. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you and your SIL are very close, and you said yourself that she doesn't handle hearing upsetting news very well.

My sister found out she was pregnant about a month after my miscarriage and she told me via text. It was really hard news for me at the time. I was happy for her, but cried because I was also sad for me. I didn't respond to her text that night. I allowed myself to be selfish and wallow in my grief. But the next morning I was in a much better place and was able to respond and congratulate her and talk about her pregnancy and be a supportive sister. I just needed that time and I would have felt incredibly guilty if I started crying in front of her if she had told me in person.

Me: 34; DH: 38; SD: 9
    TTC #1 since November 2013

BFP #1: 2/4/14--EDD 10/14/14--CP 2/8/14

BFP #2: 3/1/14--EDD 11/15/14--MMC at 12w6d (baby stopped developing at 11w4d)
    D&C 5/13/14; Retained Tissue Found: Cytotec 5/30/14; 2nd D&C 6/20/14

BFP #3: 12/13/14--EDD 8/27/15--MMC at 7 weeks (no fetal pole and measuring 1 1/2 weeks behind)--Cytotec 1/9/15

January 2015: Off to RE for RPL testing

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAugust 4

• Options
    @Ktrue85‌ if you would take the time to read everything you would see that I'm trying to convince my hubby to NOT do it for Christmas and I started this thread for advice on how to tell her. But thanks for the support. Have a blessed day!
  • Options

@babyhebert18‌ No. I've seen these type of posts many times before on multiple boards and the majority of loss moms prefer to be told over email or text so that they don't have to worry about their reaction. Some will say phone or in person if it's someone they are really close to, but that is a very situational thing. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you and your SIL are very close, and you said yourself that she doesn't handle hearing upsetting news very well.

My sister found out she was pregnant about a month after my miscarriage and she told me via text. It was really hard news for me at the time. I was happy for her, but cried because I was also sad for me. I didn't respond to her text that night. I allowed myself to be selfish and wallow in my grief. But the next morning I was in a much better place and was able to respond and congratulate her and talk about her pregnancy and be a supportive sister. I just needed that time and I would have felt incredibly guilty if I started crying in front of her if she had told me in person.

That makes sense! I'll probably text her then because she doesn't use email. And plus I don't want her to get upset in front of her girls :(
  • Options
    Hubby said we will talk about it when he gets home!! Wish me luck!!
  • Options
    @bibliothecary‌ I do want to do a big reveal with my family and with our friends, and with his family but on the note with his family I want to be considerate of her feelings and do it the best way possible. Don't be an asshole.
  • Options
    @bibliothecary‌ it just seemed like that, just saying. I'm on the same page with you, all of you. I only was trying to figure out how to tell her. I'm not telling her for Xmas, my hubby is the one who wants to tell the family then, not me. I'm trying to convince him not to. And because of your (general) advice, I found that texting would be better instead of in person. I wouldn't have none that otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"