School-Aged Children
Options

Pool Party

DS (6) has been invited to a pool party. He has taken lessons before, but still really doesn't know how to swim. He's been to pool parties before where he could wear arm-floaties and was totally fine, but this particular place doesn't allow them. Maybe I am being a scaredy pants, but young kids horsing around in water makes me nervous.

Do we give it a try, or not go and plan something fun for DS to do that day...? It's not a kid that he's close to, but the whole class was invited.

Re: Pool Party

• Options
    @fredalina‌ - I've never been to this pool and the pictures online are unclear. I can't tell if it's a regular pool plus a shallow kid's area with "lily pads" and nets for climbing/sitting...or if the kid area is kind of shallow entry into the main pool.

The kids would probably just hang out in the play area, right...?

• Options
    I think you have 3 options:
    --just plan something else for that day
    --call the pool and find out if they have a policy for kid parties.  At some pools, kids are only allowed in the shallow zone during birthday party, even if they can swim.  My DD had a pool party when she was 8, and I required kids to stay where they could stand even though they could all swim pretty well.  I just felt like even 8 year olds can be iffy when it comes to stamina and knowing their limits.
    --Accompany your son to the party and stick around to supervise him.  He's probably at the stage where you'd drop him off for a party at a friend's house, but a pool party at a large public facility is different.  When my DD was invited to one of these in kindergarten, many parents stayed and a few dropped off.  If you're uncomfortable assuming that you can do this, call the host mom and check it out.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would go and stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"