January 2014 Moms
Options

Do you celebrate Santa?

MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
edited December 2014 in January 2014 Moms
Will you raise your child to believe in Santa?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Do you celebrate Santa? 72 votes

Yes
84% 61 votes
No
12% 9 votes
SS
2% 2 votes

Re: Do you celebrate Santa?

• Options
    My friend also has a 3 year old and she told me that they don't do Santa. IMO, it's the fun and magic of Christmas. I didn't ask her why bc it's none of my business, but I feel bad for her kids in a way.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    sclover92 said:
    My family grew up celebrating/believing in santa. I plan to do Santa for my kids, because I think it's so magical. I clearly remember being so excited this time of year and being amazed at the gifts when I was little. I love that excitement and magic that comes with Christmas and I want my kids to be able to have that, as well.

I have a sister who does not do the Santa thing and told her little boy there was no Santa and all of the gifts were from them. She said she just doesn't want Santa to get the credit for what she is doing. It's her kid, so I respect whatever she wants to do.
    I don't need all of the accolades, so I can care less if Santa gets all of the credit. I agree with you about the excitement. It's so fun and seeing your child's eyes with the decorations and lights....it's so cute. I plan on teaching him about what Christmas means regarding our Catholic faith, as well. So, it's not all about presents, even tho that's all they care about at this age!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    painttheair14painttheair14 member
    edited December 2014
    It's just ds so we don't have to decide yet.

We haven't even put up the tree yet. To our defense last week we got a surprise visit from the in laws and this week we have a sick baby. Maybe this weekend!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    I never grew up with Santa being real. Any presents that were from Santa I knew were from my grandma. It was a religious thing when I was growing up. I'm not sure if we will do Santa or not but I can tell you I never lacked wonder or excitement for the season and I am huge on Christmas as an adult! I really love to give gifts and it is nice to be thanked for a thoughtful gift. My favorite part of the day is watching my family open their gifts, I don't think that will change with ds.
  • Options
    We do Santa.  When I grew up my parents always went overboard on christmas with tons of presents from Santa and DH and decided we just didn't want to raise our kids that way - it shouldn't be about who got more stuff.  So we do Santa, but he only brings three presents - something you want, something you need, and something to read.  We also do a present from mommy and daddy on one from the sibling and stocking stuffers.  That way each kid has several things to open on christmas morning but we are not going overboard with stuff.

• Options
    I picked "no" but it's more like I try to just not emphasis Santa. The other night, I took the girls to a walking nativity at a local church. After the walk through, theres a big room with carolers and cookies and hot cocoa. So we went in there. There was also a big line to see Santa. I tried to steer my girls away, but DD#1 saw him and got so excited. She insisted on waiting in line. I tried to deter it - "it's a really long line, do you want to wait for a really long time or do you want to just go home? maybe we can get ice cream on the way if we leave now?" Nope, she wanted to wait in line so she could tell him that she wants a remote control helicopter. She has never gotten a present from Santa. So I am not even sure where she learned that from. But no I didn't tell her he's not real. And yes I waited in line with her.

But I don't plan on wrapping presents from Santa to her. We (probably) won't leave milk and cookies out by the fireplace. She already heard something about Santa going down the chimney and thought that was ridiculous and funny.

I will however make sure my girls always have magical Christmases. We will celebrate Jesus because that's what we believe as the reason for the season. We have fun giving back - right now, it's just picking out toys to donate, but as they get bigger, it may change to help serve at a soup kitchen or something. And we will still sing Christmas songs and watch Christmas movies.

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    Me, too, @esd

• Options
    esd said:
    @valigrl21‌ - just a question because I'm curious - Do you not think you can mix Santa with giving back and religious beliefs? We always adopt an angel or 2 and teach our kids that Christmas is about celebrating Jesus's birth, giving back, and spending time with family and friends. But we also have an elf on the shelf, visit Santa, leave milk and cookies, etc.
    I think it's possible. I am sure there are lots of families that have a nice balance. I just feel like Santa will already be very prevalent in my kids lives, whereas Jesus has become taboo. No one ever questions a giant blow up Santa in a business's window, but if they had a cross in their window, it would be controversial. 

Also, many people in my own family are not religious.

My kids will naturally be excited for presents under the tree Christmas morning because what kid doesn't love toys. But getting them excited about the gift of salvation, is a little harder, especially while they are young. 

So I guess I want our home to be a focus on what we feel is important. But I have no intention of shielding/hiding them from the outside influences, which is where Santa comes in.

Thanks for the question @esd. My oldest is only 3, so I really am just figuring this out as I go.

PS I am not trying to sound judgy or like I am better than anyone else. Sorry if I am coming across this way, I am just trying to explain what I feel like is best for my own family.
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    We do Santa. DS is so excited for Santa this year. It is so fun to see him be excited. Christmas has always been about family for me and I am excited to do Christmas with my little family

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We will definitely do Santa! As a kid We always got plenty of presents but I remember being almost as excited to see my mom open a gift I made for her as I was to open my own. I hope to be able to instill that in DD. I did not grow up in a religious house and we focused more on charitable giving and spending time together. DH grew up in a very religious house where Christmas was mostly about going to church (Christmas Eve and day services). I'm not sure quite what our future celebrations will involve as we will try to incorporate both secular and religious aspects of the holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"