June 2013 Moms
Options

LO still not baptized....anyone else?

Im a terrible Catholic bc I haven't had A baptized yet!! I feel bad bc I wanted to wait but not this long. We're trying to do it in jan. Anyone else waited this long?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: LO still not baptized....anyone else?

• Options
    Same here. Not sure when, if ever... :(
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO was baptized at 9 months, but like someone else said it took nearly 3 months for us to complete classes and godparents to be 'approved' by the church. Once all that was done it went fast and was easy. 

On the other hand if you wait until closer to Easter, white outfits/shoes are way more easy to find. 
  • Options
    Any catholic priest will more than likely baptize a baby/child at anytime since the Catholic Church feels that baptisms are required to wash away original sin. If you are looking to have a big baptism done as a family event you may need to wait until the church is having a baptism or will do it. Some churches will have baptisms once a month, others will do it whenever. Both our boys were baptized when they were 2 weeks old. Our priest did a private service for just our family before Saturday evening mass. My mom (mexican and very devoutly catholic) always told me that I must baptize the boys right away so that's what I did.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't gotten E baptized. I personally don't really understand infant baptism, but DH thinks it's important. He likes high church and all of the rituals that come with it. We attend an Episcopalian church (maybe once a month).  I told him that he could take care of planning/organizing it if it's important to him. He hasn't done a single thing, and most of the time it's ME that has convince HIM to go to church on Sundays. I was baptized at 7 years old and even then I didn't really understand what was happening, so I just don't feel very strongly about getting her baptized now. I'm just waiting until he feels strongly enough about it to actually do something about it instead of every few months saying "We have to get her baptized!"
    Anniversary       

• Options
    I have been torn about this.  I was raised Baptist, which means you dedicate a baby and baptize when the child makes the decision.  I go to Presbyterian churches now.  They baptize babies.  I don't know if that is what I want or not.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for sharing. I'm glad I'm not alone on this. H is baptist but doesn't practice. I take A to church with me and want to raise her Catholic. I didn't even think about the classes....need to reach out to my hometown priest who will baptizing her
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    sctiger said:

For those who are wondering about infant baptism, the way Episcopalians look at it, baptism is the parents saying that they intend to raise the child in the church, teach about Jesus, the Parish promises to support the child, etc, and then when the child is older, usually around 16, they go through confirmation classes and decide to formally become a full church member. Our church does pre confirmation classes in 9th and 10th grade through Sunday school classes and full on confirmation in 11th grade with a formal confirmation service at the end of the school year.

This is kind of the way Catholicism works. In my class they talked about how it is viewed as welcoming the child into the church and giving them the gift of god's love, and then they can decide later in life with confirmation if they want to nurture that relationship. It's based in washing away original sin which is supposedly required for entering heaven in the church. Hence making sure the baby is baptized right away in case something terrible happens. DH and I don't believe in the last part, but figured it doesn't hurt to cover all your bases. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"