September 2014 Moms

Pump Settings

For those who pump, which setting do you have the pump on? I use the lowest setting on the Medela pump. I tried going one notch higher and it damn near ripped my nipples off. Does anyone use the highest setting? What's the point of the higher settings- to get milk out more quickly or to get more milk?

Re: Pump Settings

• I used to use the lowest setting until it seemed to be less effective. I moved up 2 notches and am getting a better response now. It seems to get more out and a little faster. Any higher is too much for me- hurts too bad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I pump on the highest setting. I think it's just a stronger suction so you'll get more milk more quickly. I was panicking one day thinking my supply had dropped but I had forgotten to turn it up. Also just double check you have the right size shield as I've heard it can be extremely painful with the wrong size!
  • Loading the player...
  • I use the highest speed, middle suction. Any higher and it's uncomfortable.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I start off on the lowest setting... and gradually turn it up as the pump session goes on. The higher suction really only lets me pump for less time... which is a life saver since I EP and don't want to spend half my day pumping.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I usually keep it on the highest setting, though the instructional dvd I got with my pump (yes, a dvd lol I made DH watch it too) said to start out at the highest you can stand, then move it back down a little. Honestly I just forget so it stays at the highest setting for me.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I put it at the highest that's comfortable for me. I normally use level 5 and I think my pump goes to 8. I do realize that when I use a higher setting the pumping session goes faster.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I start with a medium strength suction to get things going, and then up it to a high suction about halfway through. It doesn't really speed up the amount of time I need to pump, but it helps with emptying my breasts completely. I never go higher than I can stand, though. In the hospital the LC told me that pain is not gain with pumping.

• Wow- Maybe I'll try to turn it a little higher mid-session and see how it goes...
  • I start off in the middle somewhere and then almost at the highest. I can get a lot more out quickly and it doesn't hurt me. If it hurts then do what it comfortable to you!
  • I start at the highest setting and sometimes have drop it back a little when it ends the letdown mode.

Related question: how do you know if your flange is the right size? I feel like mine might be too big, cause there is a lot more than just nipple getting pulled in there. Looks all messed up when I'm done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @bainidhedub‌ - I wondered this as well. The medela shields come with a drawing/diagram but it's still a bit tricky to tell. I had an LC check my size. Might be worth just trying a size down if you are feeling discomfort!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"