Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Acid Reflux?

Just got off the phone with LOs pediatrician. She has been only taking 2 oz of formula at each feeding and it takes between 40 mins to an hour for her to eat that (she usually does an where between 3.5 to 4 oz in half that time). She has also been more fussy than usual and has been spitting up a lot. Does anyone have a LO with acid reflux? Any tips? Her pediatrician told me to try liquid antacid in her formula to see if that helps.

Re: Acid Reflux?

• Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    My LO has reflux, but it's pretty mild. She's almost 9 weeks now and it has gotten much better. These suggestions from my LO's pediatrician help keep my LO's spit-up to a minimum:
    • Hold her upright or semi-upright for 15-20 minutes after a feeding.
    • Burp her well. I try to burp my LO every 2oz or so, and whenever she fusses like she is having gas discomfort.
    • Have her sleep slightly inclined (30 degrees) by placing a rolled up towel under the head of her crib mattress. This only helps if LO stays in position -- once she starts sliding down during her sleep there is no point in propping up the mattress.
    Many parents also like using the Rock n Play (it's an inclined sleeper) for babies that can't sleep flat because of bad reflux. My LO has one that we used to use every night, but she doesn't seem to need it much anymore.

Listen to your pediatrician if she/he thinks your LO might need an antacid. The above suggestions aren't enough if the reflux is severe enough to need medication.
  • Options
    My DS had reflux. We finally weaned him off medicine after he turned 2. We started on Zantac and then switched to Prevacid when the Zantac wasn't helping. He was breastfed so I have no advice about the formula.

The above are the best tips for how to deal with it on your own. Slow feedings are very important. I would definitely start with an antacid if your pedi suggests. We were actually referred to GI because the pedi couldn't help. But once we got the right dose of Prevacid it made the world of difference for us. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ArkansasMom22‌ ithanks for your input, my dd is 5 weeks old and this literally just started happening. I wasn't sure if it was something that just starts at a random time. Good to know your LO is doing better :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"