September 2012 Moms
Options

Need some advice on my S12er waking before dawn

So over the last couple of weeks, Hannah has been waking earlier and earlier.

She used to just yell our names from her bedroom, and then get bored and read books or play until we came in to got her.

Well she has realized that she can open her door (we haven't locked it because it locks on the inside), and now she's in our bedroom by 5am, demanding breakfast and to watch Elmo.

It is still pitch black out, and I'm pretty sure she's waking up around 4:30.

I've tried pushing back bed time, but she's a terror if she's not asleep by 7:30 and will fight sleep like crazy.

I ordered an "OK to wake" clock that should be here today, but I am not even sure that will work.

Any other tips?

Re: Need some advice on my S12er waking before dawn

• Options
    Get a door knob cover so she can't get out?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    My kids don't get up until 6, but when they get up and come in to our room, I tell them to go play. Once they see we are boring and just laying there, they usually go find something to play with in their room. Of course, I can't really go back to sleep with them running around, but I at least get some time to lay there quietly and reminisce about when I use to sleep past 7 a.m.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids don't get up until 6, but when they get up and come in to our room, I tell them to go play. Once they see we are boring and just laying there, they usually go find something to play with in their room. Of course, I can't really go back to sleep with them running around, but I at least get some time to lay there quietly and reminisce about when I use to sleep past 7 a.m.
    I wish Hannah would go play by herself.  She will literally climb all over us in bed, talk right in our faces, tell us to wakeup.

She usually woke up around 6:30, 7 on a really awesome day, but it's getting earlier and earlier and it blows, especially with Ben still waking in the MOTN.

• Options
    We used a child proof lock on James door for a while. It was for the nights mainly but also taught him to call out for us in the morning. The OK to Wake clock was used to teach him to be quiet (unless he has to go potty). He still goes through phases of waking early but doesn't come out of his room until we come get him even though he doesn't have a lock anymore. When he is having sleep issues we use a reward chart and he gets a reward immediately when he wakes up if he was a good sleeper. He is not in a sleep problem phase right now so no rewards are given in the morning and he doesn't have any problems transitioning off rewards.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    No advice here, but I can commiserate with you. Jasper has been doing the same thing--- 5:45, every dang day. 

..following this thread for tips..
  • Options
    Ding dong has been tapping my hand, and freaking me the F out, at 4:30 on the dot every night since she's been in her big girl bed. 

It's a 10-20 minute ordeal to get her back in bed.  We take her back, change her, barely talk to her, make her get back in bed.  She asks for a book, I get her one.  I turn on her white noise machine and tell her to lay down and close her eyes, that I have to go potty and I'll come back to check on her.  I rub her had a little then leave and never go back to check on her.   :D 

I don't know which part of the above works, but it's working semi-okay.  The "I'll come back to check on you" seems to be a key part.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Misery loves company, right? I thought Cruz was the only one that never made the transition from day light savings time.  Now either my husband or I will just get up and drag ourselves to the couch so he can play while the other person tries to get a bit more sleep.  Luckily Cruz walks into our bedroom calling for my husband, unfortunately it's to ask him where I am! (other side of the bed)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Tried introducing the concept of the ok to wake clock last night, it was a fail.

We put her back in her room and she ended up making herself throw up she was so upset.  Win.

• Options
    BPer said:
    Tried introducing the concept of the ok to wake clock last night, it was a fail.

We put her back in her room and she ended up making herself throw up she was so upset.  Win.
    It takes time.  And consistency.  I'd say it was a good couple days of crying when "the green clock" wasn't on when she wanted to get up, and then another couple weeks of inconsistent wake-ups until it really clicked.  Now she really does wake early, squawk once or twice, realize the clock isn't on, and go back to sleep.

I think the visual cues help. As you said, it's still pitch black out--and it's pitch black for us from the time it's ok to get up for another half an hour.  And in the summer it's light out from way before it's ok to get up.  Giving her something to cue in on that's consistent has been helpful.
  • Options
    The first couple mornings with the OK to Wake Clock (we have one that is a bunny sleeping and then a bunny awake), he woke before bunny and I went in and sat in his room explaining we stay quiet until bunny is awake. I got lucky that the first few times he woke just like 5 minutes before I had the bunny wake up. Then I pushed the time back a little every week to get him to 6am. Then I was able to get him to 6:30am. Now we are back to 6:15am. I use his monitor to talk to him instead of going in his room. Lay down in your bed until bunny is awake. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    :(  Poor little thing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"