Infertility
Options

Should I start IVF now?

Hello all,

This is only by second post so bare with me. My fiancé and I have been TTC for almost a year and a half and we found out that I have block tubes. Fast forward to the present time, I just had both of my tubes removed due to sever tissue damage and hydro in both tubes as well as salphingistis(spelling).

Now that my tubes are. Removed of course IVF is our only chance of conceiving and we both do not have any children. We are scheduled to wed next year and plan on starting the IVF process after our wedding. My question is should we start the IVF process right away or is this something we can plan out and take it time with.

Re: Should I start IVF now?

• Options
    It would be best to consult with your RE to discuss timing and options. Much depends on your age (IVF is less successful as you get older, particularly after age 35) and if you have DOR, you will want to act sooner rather than later also. Good luck! 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    IVF takes some time to plan. Your clinic may have "batched cycles" (forcing everyone onto their schedule), and there are meds you have to take in advance, so the whole thing can easily take 2 months or longer. It's also a good idea to check out a few clinics, get a sense of their approach, cost/plans, SART data (success rates), etc. If you have time, I would start looking into things now, even if you don't intend to go ahead for a few more months. GL

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding!! 

I agree that you should consult with your RE. There are definitely options, but you will want to take into account any other diagnosis you have, your age, and possible insurance coverage/limitations. These days Egg freezing is becoming increasingly popular if you are not ready to move straight into an IVF cycle to actually conceive, but are willing to do an egg retrieval. 

Best of luck to you. :)
  • Options
    Thank you all.

I haven't been diagnosed with additional issues, I believe my tubes were my main problem. You guys are right I will follow up with my RE as he was the same doc to remove my tubes. When I went for my follow up appt after surgery he asked me when am I going to be ready. Although in excitement I want to start right away, but also want to plan everything out and pray for the best.

I will call to make a consult spot with him and see what my options are. I'm based in Ohiladelphia and am using Reproductive Medical Associates and their success rates are pretty high. I'm 29 going on 30, but have never conceived before.
  • Options
    I'm also excited about the wedding and do not want to start the process during a stressful time. I want to be as calm and relaxed as possible.
  • Options
    Hi, congrats on getting engaged and sorry you have to be in this position. I know the timing is tough. I think others have given great advice, that you need to discuss with an RE you really trust how your numbers are looking. Though the good thing is that you likely have age on your side.

There's never a great time to go through IF, but I think having less on your plate is ideal. But I also think it's a matter of weighing your priorities too. As someone who plans weddings & events for a living, I've actually seen several couples go through really intense (and expensive) wedding planning, and then have to deal with the intensity & expense of IF treatment. Luckily they've been in a fine position to deal with it, but it makes me think about how our priorities/focus can shift so much in a short time. Not trying to get too philosophical on you -- just throwing out some food for thought. I'd just encourage you to be as kind to yourself as possible with both stressful processes and to keep the big picture in mind with both.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Me: 33, "beyond stage 4" endo with bilateral endometriomas (removed Oct '13)
    Him: 33, great

TTC since January 2013 (with 9-months off due to lap surgery & lingering Lupron)
    IUI #1 with Letrozole 5mg - BFN (June 2014) 
    IUI #2 with Letrozole 7.5mg- BFN (July 2014)

IVF #1 (Sept 2014) - Antagonist Protocol - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 mature, 2 fertilized normally. 
    One embryo transferred on Day 3, one embryo allowed to develop further (but arrested). BFN. 

IVF #2 with ICSI (Dec 2014) - New clinic. 
    Similar protocol, but tweaked -- estrogen priming instead of BCPs, higher dosage of Follistim, etc

image        image
  • Options
    Welcome and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I too would probably focus on the wedding first, but definitely see what your RE says. Our initial IVF visit with the 1st RE was in april, and I just had our 1st FET today. We were a slower cycle than most because of needing PGD and long lupron/no BCP due to migraines. Maybe you can get all of the preliminary testing stuff out of the way but wait to stim til after the wedding? GL!

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"