December 2013 Moms

Holiday Help

DH is Jewish and I converted when we got married.  I grew up celebrating Christmas as an "american" holiday much like Thanksgiving. We had a tree, and a big meal, and presents but that was it.  I had no idea about the religious aspects behind Christmas until I was quite old.  Anyways, I have no idea where to even begin on starting some Hannukah traditions for our kids.  DH isn't much help.  His parents didn't really do much for Hannukah.  All we do is light the menorah, but I'd like to incorporate other aspects too somehow.  Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Holiday Help

• I'm sort of in the same boat. DH is Jewish. I'm not and he isn't much help with celebrations. Get a few Hannukah books with the story of Hannukah and read them together as a family. My in laws gave us some one year. I looked up the dreidel game rules and we played that a few times. Look up "Mench on a Bench" like "Elf on a Shelf" for a fun new tradition. You could also cook a special Hannukah meal together. We have a Christmakah tree (Hannukah bush) we decorate with snowflakes etc. for a blended family celebration.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here are some things I always did as a kid and I hope to continue doing for my LO
    Have a get together on the fifth day. This is the only day we get gifts, actually we did money( Hanukkah gelt)
    Eat donuts and latkes ( fried potato dish, similar to hash browns). Since you are supposed to eat things that have a lot of oil.
    Play with dreidles and get chocolate coins.
    We also baked cookies and that was fun.
    I hoped I helped
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  We do have a few hannukah books and a toy menorah, but I'm not sure the kids get the gist of what it's about.  They do really like latkes though.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"