2nd Trimester
Options

Anatomy Ultrasound

How long do the anatomy ultrasound's usually take? I thought they were closer to 20-30 minutes and I felt like the tech was really quick and done in less than 10 minutes. I made sure to ask about the baby's heart and brain and everything checked out ok. Just makes me wonder if she rushed through it too quickly and if I should be concerned. She claims she's been doing it for 25 years, but I don't think that means she should have rushed through it! Maybe I'm just worried for something but I am just curious about other mama's experiences. Thanks!

Re: Anatomy Ultrasound

• Options
    Sounds like your baby was cooperating. Be glad she didn't find anything and have to have a doctor come speak with you, then receive a bill for $500 because apparently that "consult" isn't covered by your insurance. That's my situation.
  • Options
    Mine was around 20-30 mins.  Little guy cooperated well.  I asked them to take a deeper look at kidneys and renal arteries as I have a condition that affected my kidneys and renal arteries that is very prominent in boys.  If I hadn't asked her to take a look it would prob have been about 15 mins or so.  He let her get all the measurements they needed on the first try.  On the screen there actually was a checklist of everything they had to look at and I watched her check them off and explain them to me.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine was about 25-30 minutes yesterday but she was really good about telling us what we were looking at so that probably made it take a little longer than usual.  I'm also expecting a big bill for the doctor who talked to us for about 5 minutes about a minor abnormality.

I had mine in Maternal Fetal Medicine though because I'm 37 and OB said they do a more detailed U/S there so if yours was just a regular radiologist/US tech then it would be probably be shorter.

Try to be happy they didn't find anything.  Our issue is super minor but it still stress you out despite the fact the doctor is not concerned.
  • Options
    My was 45 mins but our little guy wasn't making it easy. I'd trust she did her job right, and your LO is healthy.
  • Options
    Mine was about 30 minutes, likely would have been shorter if LO wasn't burying their face in the placenta making it hard to get the head measurements. Pretty sure those alone took about 10-15 minutes.

Anniversary

• Options
    Mine was like..an hour, but my baby wouldn't sit still. My 13 week one was maybe 15 min?
  • Options
    @Joy2611‌ he's totally fine! It was a choroid plexus cyst which is almost always a normal variation but they are required to tell you about it. I just wish someone would've mentioned having a dr come in to tell us about it wasn't considered a whole separate thing. That bill was a nasty surprise.

We go back at 32 weeks to check and make sure they're gone but I'm hopeful they will be :)
  • Options
    I remember the anatomy scans for my first two pregnancies being about a half hour. 10 mins seems within the realm of normal with a very experienced tech and a baby that is cooperating. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    If shes been doing it 25 years, I wouldnt be complaining. And it just sounds like your baby was cooperating. My first one took a little over an hour because baby wouldnt move, my second anatomy scan took about 20 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"