Baby Showers

How quickly did you send out your thank yous?

I just had my baby shower about ten days ago. It was a large shower of over 70 guests and there had still been people who didn't make it that sent a gift. I like to make sure each thank you is carefully written and genuine which has added to the time it takes to write them. I spent probably an hour to only write 6-7. Maybe I'm just crazy for being overly concerned with what I write in them I just hate for them to all sound the same. I've spent several hours a day and several days on them but am still only 2/3 through them all. I feel like they should have been mailed out already though. I know people are probably understanding because I am a full time college student right now and also working but should they have already been sent out or is my situation okay because I'm working diligently on them and they should all be mailed out by the time I hit the two week mark from my shower.... I feel like crap that I couldn't whip them out in just a couple of days.

Re: How quickly did you send out your thank yous?

• Thank you notes are important and should be mailed timely. With that being said, it sounds like you are making great progress! Write what you can everyday and mail them out and keep going until you are finished.

Don't feel "like crap." You are doing your best and should be done soon enough.
  • They can all sound pretty much the same. No one is going to get two and compare them.

"Dear Aunt Madeline, thank you so much for your sweet gift! I can't wait to [wrap baby in his new blanket]. We so appreciate your thoughtfulness. Look forward to seeing you soon! Thank you!"

Also, you sound pretty inexperienced with thank-you notes. By the time college rolled around I'd written hundreds of thank-you notes - birthdays since kindergarten, graduation, etc.

While I may have struggled initially to find a way to sound appropriately grateful without spending hours on each note, by the time I was an adult I had it down to a science. If you haven't ever written thank-you notes before, you'll get used to the formula. I'm glad you've decided to start writing them. It's so important to show gratitude in a tangible way when someone has gone to the trouble of earning money for your gift, purchasing it, wrapping it, driving it to your house... Spending 3-4 minutes writing, addressing, and mailing a note is the least the recipient can do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • wow 70 people!!

We had a shower on Sunday the 30th and the thank yous will go out this weekend or Monday at the latest. I always try to do it within 2 weeks of the event date. But we only have about 20 to send. 

As for what to write - I write a general message to most guests but something special for close friends and family, or people who really went out of their way. You know those distant aunts or random old ladies your grandma invited from her church (lol this is my case anyways) they just get a "Thank you for the ____, we really look forward to using it with our new baby. It was so special having you there! Love, J&DH" or something like that. But I write something more from the heart for others. I love writing cards though. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I always send them out within 2 weeks of the event.

Buy smaller cards. Maybe your cards are too big and you feel like you have to fill them up?
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • I believe typically, thank you should be delivered within two weeks of the event
    I get you want them all personalized and special, but I can assure you, your guests are not comparing notes. A few lines, mention of item, and sincere thanks, sincerely. Stamp and send!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"