Natural Birth

Good resources for handling/managing a "fast" labor?

My labor and delivery with DD was fairly quick and intense for a FTM (checked into hospital around 11, complete at 3am, baby delivered at 4:07), and I'm honestly a little scared of a repeat or faster with this one. My OB/MW office has my file flagged which I find both reassuring and scary, and I'm to go straight to their offices at the first "annoying cramp" (what, in retrospect, was my earlier labor).

I'm not that worried about delivering at home or in the car, as our hospital and birth center are both 15mins from the house. What I would like, however, are resources (books, articles) or tips (first hand experiences welcomed!) on how to better handle a speedy labor/delivery. We did the Bradley classes with DD, but I feel like that only prepared me for a long labor (ha) and mine was sort of like sit-down-buckle-up-and-hang-on, if you get my drift. Simpkin's The Birth Partner book just says in a couple places that a fast labor means all is well, which, not very helpful for coping. I googled a bit the other day, but wasn't finding much so got discouraged.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Good resources for handling/managing a "fast" labor?

• Have you considered Hypnobirthing?  I had a great experience both times.  With my second I had what they labeled a 'precipitous birth' and I think I managed pretty well using what I learned in the class and practiced at home.
  • sschwege said:
    Have you considered Hypnobirthing?  I had a great experience both times.  With my second I had what they labeled a 'precipitous birth' and I think I managed pretty well using what I learned in the class and practiced at home.
    I'm open to looking into it again. I don't remember exactly why I didn't go for it the first time around. Is their main website a good one for info? (I assume yes :) )
    Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited December 2014
    Water birth an option? My midwife with my new LO mentioned laboring in the water can help slow things down a little.

All of my births have been precipitous (3 hours and less) with my fastest lasting about 15 minutes from the time I noticed a few stronger BH-type contractions with a low back ache. I didn't think "Oh shit! This is it!" until a minute before his birth. We expected very fast (<60 min) because my second was all of 47 min, but not that fast. There wasn't really a labor to speak of.

I didn't do anything to really prepare for it. We induced in part so that we could set up and fill the birth tub in time, and though all was ready to go, he was born on my bed. There was no time to move to the tub by the time I realized he was seconds from birth. That was my fourth baby.

This time we just really, really hoped we'd get the tub set up in time. I got in the tub about 1 hour 45 min after contractions picked up, and she was born 30 min later. The contractions did space out at first, but picked up again. She'd have been born a lot sooner if not for the cervical lip. I started feeling some pressure at the 1 hr 45 min mark, but was still in denial that it was labor.

The warm water was also very relaxing.

G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• @metaphysique
    Actually, yes. If we go with the birth center, then I can use the tubs. I can labor and deliver in those there. The hospital only has showers, and I don't think you're allowed to actually birth in those.

We still need to do a tour there (they only do one/day and it's in the middle of my work day), but I'm hoping the tubs would cover the whole belly. My tub at home did not.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Labor with my second was super quick! I checked into the hospital around 12:30am and I had given birth by 4:30am! It was intense. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing! Right when I was beginning to get exhausted and ready to give up I was 10cms! After that I was holding my daughter in my arms with like three pushes. For me the labor was so short that there wasn't much I could do to cope with the pain. I just laid in the bath and had my husband massage my back. That worked well enough!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • What specifically about your first birth would you try to address using birth classes?  Was it that "out of control" feeling that most people get by the end of labor?  If so, how long did you have that "out of control" feeling?  I've heard that hypnobirthing or hypnobabies can be good for keeping some people relaxed and "in control" throughout labor, even during transition.  If that's what you're looking for, maybe look into one of those methods.

My DD was a quick birth.  My total labor from first contraction to baby was less than 5 hours.  I was in active labor/transition for probably about 1.5 hours of that and pushed for 12 minutes.  My DD was born about a half hour after arriving at the birth center.  For DD, my childbirth preparation consisted of a 4 hour Lamaze refresher course and weekly prenatal yoga.  For me, that was all the preparation I needed.  Between breathing and position changes I was able to stay on top of the contractions until I hit transition, and while I did start to feel a bit "out of control" during transition, it was over quickly. 

Like PP said, labor was so short that I didn't really have time to try out many of my pain relief methods, we were just happy to be in the care of our midwives before she arrived!  The only change we'll be making with our next LO is that DH will be watching some videos on how to assist with childbirth in an emergency!

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• I'm not seeing how giving birth 5 hours after checking in is all that fast? With my last one I got there at 12 and he was born at 1... I'm not sure what you mean about "coping." Lots of women have long, difficult labors and would kill to have your experience. I guess I'm not understanding the problem/question?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • What specifically about your first birth would you try to address using birth classes?  Was it that "out of control" feeling that most people get by the end of labor?  If so, how long did you have that "out of control" feeling?  I've heard that hypnobirthing or hypnobabies can be good for keeping some people relaxed and "in control" throughout labor, even during transition.  If that's what you're looking for, maybe look into one of those methods.

I think, yes, that was a big part of it. Also, that there wasn't the "slow ramping up" of contractions that I have read about in birth stories? It was, for me, instant hard labor and I went from 2cm to 10cm in 4 hours.

I wasn't ever able to feel like I got "on top" of those contractions, and I (perhaps naively) think that would make for a more enjoyable labor. Even if it's not a long/difficult labor.

And, @drpayne. While that's a nice thought that women with long, difficult labors would "kill to have my experience" that's not exactly helpful. Perhaps I should have asked for coping tips for "insta-labor" and that would have avoided your misunderstanding?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my second I went straight from "I wish these Braxton Hicks would stop", to "I think I should already be at the hospital". From the time I knew I was in labor to birth was 1 intense hr. I started at 3cm for whatever that is worth. Because that entire hour was spent doing things (eg. waking up husband, calling babysitter, getting to hospital, etc.) I never really found a groove. What did help was knowing ahead of time that I might have a fast labor, and then during labor taking things one contraction at a time. 
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Hypnobirthing worked really well for me. I woke up to an annoying cramp at 2:45 and DD was born just after 8:00. It kept me really calm, and so I never had that "out of control" feeling. As long as I kept my concentration, I was fine. I hope things go smoothly for you!!
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • With my second I went straight from "I wish these Braxton Hicks would stop", to "I think I should already be at the hospital". From the time I knew I was in labor to birth was 1 intense hr. I started at 3cm for whatever that is worth. Because that entire hour was spent doing things (eg. waking up husband, calling babysitter, getting to hospital, etc.) I never really found a groove. What did help was knowing ahead of time that I might have a fast labor, and then during labor taking things one contraction at a time. 
    That's actually what I'm trying to do, and hoping that I can find a way to cope with those one-at-a-time contractions in a more conscious way. If that makes sense.

As in, I'd like to be more mentally present for this labor. This is our last child and I'd like to enjoy (to the extent possible) whatever type of labor I get. I wasn't mentally present at all for my DD's labor and delivery, and that bothers me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With the exception of my first baby, all of mine were fast.  I actually prefer it...why wouldn't you want to get it over with? My last baby was 4 hours and it would've been nice if it was even shorter.  Just sayin....I think longer labors hurt just as bad just last longer.
    Well, yes, but no. 

I only have the one labor and delivery experience, personally, but from birth stories I've read, it seems like others' labors are less intense (which I chalked up to being related to speed of progress), which enables them to be more present. <-- that's what I would like to aim for.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sschwegesschwege member
    edited December 2014
    drpayne said:
    I'm not seeing how giving birth 5 hours after checking in is all that fast? With my last one I got there at 12 and he was born at 1... I'm not sure what you mean about "coping." Lots of women have long, difficult labors and would kill to have your experience. I guess I'm not understanding the problem/question?
    I had my first in 17.5 hours and my second in a little over 2 hours.  Honestly, I'm not sure which was better.  On the one hand I I was more tired after my first labor, but at the same time it was so much more peaceful.  With my first I had sort of a gradual increase in intensity as my labor progressed, so I sort of got used to that level before I moved to the next, had time to figure out what worked and catch my breath.  With my second I literally went from Braxton Hicks to on all fours swaying back and forth contractions.  There was no gradual build up.  After DS was born the nurses were changing shifts and the off-duty nurse was briefing the on-coming nurse.  I remember her saying I had had a precipitous birth and the nurse turns to me with a big smile and says, "Ohhh!" as if to say, 'aren't you the lucky one!" I just remember thinking I sure as heck didn't feel lucky at the time or even after.  It's really sort of a shock.  But the up-side was I wasn't very tired as I was with DD. 

@drpayne
  • @sschwege
    Thank you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @NoeliaV I think I know what you mean about being present in the moment. I reached a point in my first labor where I was just in constant pain and couldn't feel the contractions coming and going. That was a possibility I hadn't considered and I freaked out. My labors have been a lesson in letting go. Saying that it is okay that I can't prepare for every possible outcome. Saying that it is okay that despite normally being a reserved person I moan loudly at the end of labor. Saying that it is okay if during a few contractions I tighten my shoulders. 
    Side story- my daughter's personality completely fits with her entrance into this world. She is a determined, passionate, intense, make things happen kind of girl! My son was almost born sunny side up and he both likes to do things the "right way" and is super cheerful.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • I had baby on Tuesday and it was a quick 3 hr first stage, which I was definitely not expecting as a FTM. As soon as my water broke, contractions went from nothing noticeable, to intense and one on top of the other pretty much instantly. There was no 'warm up' period to get used to them gradually increasing.

I had prepared with hypnobabies but found I didn't have the mental time or awareness to actively use any of the techniques. I put the track on to listen to, which helped with staying relaxed, but my plan for the 'light switch' technique and anything else went out the window.

What I remember helping was my midwife reminding me to use my breathing to get 'up and over' the peak of the contractions. It was simple enough that I could do it in my foggy-brain state, and it helped me to focus on just taking it one contraction at a time. That, and really making the most of what rest time I got in between helped me to regroup as best I could for the next one.

Best of luck!
  • drpaynedrpayne member
    edited December 2014
    NoeliaV said:
    What specifically about your first birth would you try to address using birth classes?  Was it that "out of control" feeling that most people get by the end of labor?  If so, how long did you have that "out of control" feeling?  I've heard that hypnobirthing or hypnobabies can be good for keeping some people relaxed and "in control" throughout labor, even during transition.  If that's what you're looking for, maybe look into one of those methods.

I think, yes, that was a big part of it. Also, that there wasn't the "slow ramping up" of contractions that I have read about in birth stories? It was, for me, instant hard labor and I went from 2cm to 10cm in 4 hours.

I wasn't ever able to feel like I got "on top" of those contractions, and I (perhaps naively) think that would make for a more enjoyable labor. Even if it's not a long/difficult labor.

And, @drpayne. While that's a nice thought that women with long, difficult labors would "kill to have my experience" that's not exactly helpful. Perhaps I should have asked for coping tips for "insta-labor" and that would have avoided your misunderstanding?

My point was that, relatively speaking, 5 hours isn't extremely short when you consider some people don't make it to the hospital, etc.  I've never heard someone wish her labor was longer.  As someone who had a long first labor with extreme dehydration and exhaustion that resulted in a hospital transfer, you're right, I was having trouble understanding where you are coming from.  Hope you get some good advice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • just wanted to chime in to say i can seriously commiserate. with DS, my first baby, i woke up at 1 AM to my water breaking, starting having contractions at 2 AM, got to the hospital at 3 AM, and DS was born at just after 5 AM. i had taken a hypnobirthing class, but the whole process was so intense, with contractions one right on top of the other, that i had no presence of mind to be able to use any techniques. i didn't feel present at the birth, either, just panicky and out of control, which is what i was trying to avoid by taking the hypnobirthing class in the first place! 

i'm scared of a repeat experience with our second baby as well (i'm pregnant right now, but it's still early), but i'm hoping that going into it already prepared for it to be fast and intense will help me cope better. i will probably go to the hospital at the first twinge (or when my water breaks, if that happens first)! we're only 5 minutes from the hospital, but i'm also going to read up on (and have DH read up on) emergency home births, so i feel like we are prepared if by some chance we don't make it in time. i'm also going to tell DH to force me to listen to the hypnobirthing relaxation tracks to help prevent me from going into panic mode (i think any kind of progressive/guided relaxation or peaceful birth visualization would be helpful).

i haven't been able to find any great resources on precipitous labor, but here are a couple of articles that at least acknowledge how difficult the process can be (i've also had a comment or two from friends about how easy my labor must have been because it was so short):
    https://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/rapid-labor/
    https://midwifemuse.wordpress.com/2008/08/03/precipitate-labour-rapid-delivery/

here's a guide from the american college of nurse-midwives on emergency home birth: https://health.utah.gov/mihp/pdf/giving_birth_in_place.pdf

GL!
  • drpayne said:
    I'm not seeing how giving birth 5 hours after checking in is all that fast? With my last one I got there at 12 and he was born at 1... I'm not sure what you mean about "coping." Lots of women have long, difficult labors and would kill to have your experience. I guess I'm not understanding the problem/question?
    I consider myself very fortunate for having very fast and easy births. My fourth was born after four back to back intense contractions. I wasn't in "labor" before that point. My body was in active labor limbo, and I was rather frustrated that labor hadn't really kicked in, and then BAM! he was born shortly after noticing bloody show. His birth was crazy fast and intense, but it was NOT a labor. I could barely process what happened. I'd still take that over a long labor.

And with Ruby, I was in denial that I was in labor until my midwife told me I was 8 cm and she was at +2 and would be born shortly after resolving the cervical lip.

Either way, whether quick or average, breathing and relaxation techniques (or hypnosis) is a good way to prepare for labor.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• My labor was almost exactly like yours- five hours from beginning to end and once it really started I was basically in transition.  It was VERY hard to keep focused and stay on top of things, but I do think that Hypnobirthing really did help.  I wasn't able to use it for the last hour and a half or so of active contraction, but I was for the first bit and it helped with pushing.  

I completely understand what you are saying with quick being difficult.  I was expecting 3-5 minutes AT LEAST between contractions and had mentally and physically prepared for that.  I never had more than a minute break and mentally felt like I was playing catch up the whole time.  This time, if that happens again, I'm hoping I'll be prepared for it better mentally and be able to use hypnosis more.  You really only need about 10-15 seconds to get into hypnosis.  For me the problem was I didn't have that time to get out of it, breath and relax, and then prepare for the next one.  So I'll just skip the breathing and relaxing part and just start focusing on going back into hypnosis right away.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• @JCwhitey

Thanks, y'all :) I'm looking into the hypobabies materials, and will definitely brush up on our Bradley relaxation and breathing techniques. 

And, JC, I remember looking at the contraction timer record afterwards (DH kept it up for a bit) and it was laughable how short the breaks were between contractions. Sort of like, "oh, well, that helps explain that, then."
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In the book, Active Birth, it states that if you want to slow labor you can lay your head on the floor and your butt in the air. I was just skimming through and saw that part. Sorry. I guess that's not very helpful but maybe you can pick up that book and look at some of the poses?
  • I don't have a resource for you but I can tell you that with DS2, I left for the hospital saying to my mom " I don't even know if I'm actually in labour" and babe was in my arms 45 minutes later.

We also had a 10-15 minute ride to the hospital. I remember getting checked by the nurses (2 of them checked me out as nurse #1 wanted a second opinion, good times) and being told "you're 7-8". My contractions had felt very, very mild (almost imperceptible, almost) and short. Less than 20 seconds long up to that point.

I remember thinking "yay!" And then "I'm screwed" and then 15 minutes of hell, I mean transition. Honestly it felt like one long contraction broken by about a 5 second break now and then. My water broke, I pushed 3 times and it was done. Quick and painful, lol.

I tried to stay on top of my breathing and relaxing my muscles during that time. Semi-successful.

Anyway, a good experience. I felt like a million bucks as soon as he was born.

I wish a similar experience for any mom to be.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • NoeliaV said:

And, JC, I remember looking at the contraction timer record afterwards (DH kept it up for a bit) and it was laughable how short the breaks were between contractions. Sort of like, "oh, well, that helps explain that, then."
    I was timing mine in the car on the way to the hospital and kept thinking I had to be doing it wrong.  My first and second contractions were about 10 minutes apart.  My second and third were 7.  My third and fourth were 3.  And after that they were 2 minutes total (contraction lasting about 1 minute and then a 1 minute break).  My brain kept saying "No, this is wrong, it's supposed to be 5 minutes in the beginning at least!".  Ah!

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• And yes, the tub!  I would have loved for the tub to work.  My advice for that is to select the temp yourself!  I let my husband and the nurse do it because I was having some crazy contractions and they kept saying they didn't want to make it too hot.  Well, at most they made it a little tiny bit above room temp.  It was not soothing or helpful at all.  So this time, if I have access to a tub, I will be controlling the temp!

• JCWhitey said:
    NoeliaV said:

I was timing mine in the car on the way to the hospital and kept thinking I had to be doing it wrong.  My first and second contractions were about 10 minutes apart.  My second and third were 7.  My third and fourth were 3.  And after that they were 2 minutes total (contraction lasting about 1 minute and then a 1 minute break).  My brain kept saying "No, this is wrong, it's supposed to be 5 minutes in the beginning at least!".  Ah!
    I timed for the first two contractions, and then handed it off to DH because I thought I was doing it wrong.

I'm thinking I'll refresh our Bradley relaxation techniques, and look into Hypnobabies more. I like the ability to do homestudy. There's a next to no chance I can convince DH to do a second round of birth classes, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my LO on Thanksgiving and while I was in labor for 14+ hours (I probably labored while asleep without realizing it yet), the end went quickly. My MW has said several times how it was a hard and fast labor for a first baby. I never got checked, but my MW guessed I was at 5cm at 8:00pm (she had a way of figuring it out besides checking me) and official time of birth was 11:03pm. I had a water birth and honestly I credit the water for getting me through it. Right around transition I decided to get out of the tub and get in bed (I wanted a nap...) and that contraction was the worst one of the whole labor. I only pushed for 4-5 contractions at the end. 

If you have plans to make for your oldest, bags to pack, etc, I'd suggest doing that early and designating a point person to take care of everything for you. One text and they make things happen. I was trying to finish stuff before LO came because I wasn't expecting him for a few more days or a week and that made things a lot more difficult. Once I quit texting people back (though only two people outside of DH and my MW knew I was in labor), worrying about stuff, and started only focusing on my labor, things were so much easier mentally. And by "easier" I mean still dang hard.

I didn't have an official birthing technique or a specific style of classes... I just focused on keeping my face and jaw relaxed for the entirety of every single contraction. I did whatever felt good, moved around however I wanted to, yelled at H and my MW, growled, and let my primal side take over. 

Have you heard of the fear-tension-pain cycle? Kill the fear, and the pain and tension get so much better. If you go into labor scared of what might happen you'll set yourself up for more pain (or so I've heard). 

You might also refuse cervical checks. I didn't have a cervical check my entire pregnancy. During labor it helped NOT knowing how far along I was or wasn't. I think if I knew how quickly I was progressing at the end I would have freaked out more. You don't need to know you just went from a 3 to a 6 in half an hour flat, or that you're checking into the hospital at a 7. Numbers are probably just going to mess with your head.

I hope that's helpful.
    I am hopeful that not being afraid of the process this time will help. I was prepared for a long and slow labor (because, FTM, you know), so when it went off with a bang, I was certain things were not right.

And, I have to have a cervical check at admittance (hospital or birth center) and then one at completion. That's all I had last time, too. I think, at the BC, I may be able to negotiate on the completion check. I hate those things.

And, yes, I do need some solid plans for DD. My fantasy plan is that I go into labor shortly after DH takes her to school ;) I plan to pack the bag super-early, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"