LGBT Parenting

pediatricians?

i am going to start researching pediatricians in the next couple of weeks.  any questions you can think of that I can ask? 
Thanks! 
Married 9~20~13
L- 34 M- 29
First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: pediatricians?

• I followed the suggested list in Baby 411, but a lot of them were answered just by looking at their website. My OB recommended finding an overall practice you like, not just a specific pediatrician, since odds are you will often see other doctors for sick visits.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KH826KH826 member
    edited December 2014

This is the list of questions that I had when we were picking a pediatrician/practice:

1. Does our pediatrician (or someone from the practice) come to the hospital when the baby is born? Or do the staff pediatricians at the hospital handle everything while the baby is there?

2. Does the practice have evening/weekend hours?

3. Is there a specific urgent care that they recommend/are affiliated with for after hours or weekends?

4. Is there a way to email in questions to the doctor/nurse? Is there an added cost for this, if so?

5. Breast feeding – recommendations for schedules? When is earliest you would recommend starting to pump and bottle feed?

6. What is the typical schedule of visits for newborns? How often? When is the first visit usually?

7. Do you stagger vaccinations at the request of parents?

8. We do plan to vaccinate (though are interested in staggering vaccinations, if possible) – do you see some children who are not vaccinated at your practice?

9. We will be processing a second parent adoption for [my wife] that will not be finalized until about 6 months of age. We are working with an attorney and have already signed temporary guardianship papers that will give her legal rights for decision making/healthcare, etc. to cover the period of time before the adoption goes through. What will you need from us and when so that [my wife] will have full rights/access, etc. as a parent immediately? Anything related to this we should be aware of in terms of your practice’s policies?

10. What are your thoughts on alternative treatments for illnesses instead of immediately giving antibiotics? Does your practice recommend any natural methods?

11. Are there separate sick and well waiting rooms?

12. What are your thoughts on sleep training?

13. Do you have experience with Baby Led Weaning? What is your philosophy on introducing solids?

14. How many doctors are in the practice in total? Do some/all do evening appointments? How far in advance should appointments be made for well visits, etc.?

15. What is the usual wait time for a well visit? For a sick visit?

16. Will we have access to electronic medical records?

17. Can we authorize others to bring our child in for an appointment?

So, as other folks have already said, you can find a lot of that info on the practice's website if you do research before you actually talk to a doctor there. Another good resource, if there is a FB page for a local parent community in your area, asking for recommendations and experiences is helpful. You will get a mixed bag of responses, but you might get some info that you wouldn't get from the website or from talking to a doctor at the practice.   

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Loading the player...
  • that list is great, thanks! did you have an appointment to go see the final considerations prior to birth?  is this something they do for no- fee or that is covered by insurance? 
    Married 9~20~13
    L- 34 M- 29
    First IUI (L) 5/27/2014 triggered- BFP
    Singleton due 2/17/15

... cantAloupe ... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• KH826KH826 member
    edited December 2014

The pediatrician's office that we went with has prenatal visits once a week where expectant parents can come and tour the practice after hours and talk to one of the doctors. We made an appointment for when I was 32 weeks and we went and met with the doctor we liked the best from online information. We asked all of our questions in person and got an office tour. It was great, and I felt much more comfortable after that!

ETA - no fee for that! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • At our practice one prenatal consult is free. I think if you wanted to meet with multiple docs they would charge you.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Before baby, we asked all kinds of questions to find a good pediatrician before baby was born an that's definitely a good thing to do...but I also found that when baby gets sick, the chance of seeing a different pediatrician is pretty high. After all, it's about who is on call after hours or who has an opening that day.

SO, I recommend finding a pediatrician in an office that has late evening and weekend hours, is close to your house (seriously, you do not want to be in traffic when your baby is sick. Seriously.), and has an atmosphere that you like so you are comfortable with the practice, not just the doctor.

Our pediatrician's office has 8 doctors and after 2 years, I can confidently say I really like 7 of them...and I'm just careful to ask who is on call to make sure it's not #8.  In the end, I barely remember who his "primary dr" technically is anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"