Natural Birth

Intro and question re: doula with midwife

Hello,

I participate in some other boards, but somehow I had never noticed this board until now, and was happy to see a place for mamas planning NB.  I don't know why, but I thought going into this whole thing that it was a lot more common than it is.  I guess I spend too much time in my slightly crunchy progressive circles.

Anyway, quick about me: I'm 38, FTM, 32 weeks today.  Planning natural, midwife-assisted birth at a hospital. 

My question:  We are pretty fortunate where I live to have a hospital with an integrated midwife practice.  I've been seeing the midwives for all my prenatal care, and have felt really good about them.  Whoever is the midwife on duty when I go into labor will be the one to deliver, but they set it up so that you have visits with different midwives in advance, and they all seem great.  Well, one was a little less great, so fx I don't get her, but it's all relative and she'd still be fine.  This seemed to offer a good happy medium between a birthing center and regular hospital.  Anyway, my question.  I've been debating whether to hire a doula and wondering if anyone has had a similar experience of a midwife delivery at a hospital, and whether you had a doula as well (and wish you had, or hadn't?)  DH is really supportive and we'll be taking a childbirth class - mostly lamaze but I think the instructor draws on several methods.  The midwife will just be in periodically, not constantly, but they do claim to do much of what a doula would do.  On one hand, it seems having someone experienced with me throughout, and before I go to the hospital, could be helpful.  On the other, not sure if I want to throw another person into the mix - I'm not a huge "people person."  Far from a misanthrope, but I definitely like my alone time, particularly when stressed.

Anyway, would be interested in folks' thoughts and experiences.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Intro and question re: doula with midwife

• My SIL had a set up like what you are talking about. She ended up with her water breaking at 42+ weeks but her labor not starting within 24 hrs. (it ended up she had 2 bags of water). She liked having a doula to have another opinion on what to do next. Her husband liked having the doula because a few scary things happened post birth and he felt like he needed someone there to be HIS emotional support while midwives and nurses took care of SIL and baby.

I on the other hand, can relate to your philosophy on people, and if it was safe I would love to just give birth by myself! With my 2nd labor I accidentally didn't wake DH up until an hr. before my daughter was born. I always felt that just having DH for emotional and physical support was plenty. I was blessed during both labors to have nurses who were very supportive too.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • For my first two and this one, I had/have a CNM group in a hospital known for being low-intervention.  I did not have a doula, and I doubt I will have one this time.  I'm one of those people who really likes to go within myself and just kind of do my own thing, so it worked well for us.  However, I still had a second support person, my MIL the first time and my mom the second, this time I think we will have both moms.  It was nice to have a second person to rub my back in the car, get food for DH, dim the lights, get a cool wash cloth, etc.

Have you asked if your hospital has volunteer doulas?  Mine does and the nice thing is, you don't have to commit to it beforehand.  I just had them put me down as a 'maybe' thinking I probably wouldn't request their help, but nice to know they were there.    
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a midwife delivery in a hospital (it's the norm where I am), and didn't have a doula.

Midwife was present for a lot, but then would go away and leave use for a time as well, to let things progress.

I had DH with me, and no-one else.

I didn't feel the need for a doula, and I don't regret not having one. However, I had a very straight forward delivery with no issues, and relatively short (7hrs active labour)
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I had a hospital birth with a midwife and also had a doula. For me it really helped leading up to the birth, as I was originally on the epidural train, and slowly made a different decision. My doula was also a massage therapist so that was an added bonus. My labor was fast, 9 hours and only 3 at the hospital, but it was still nice to have that extra support person. I plan on going to a birth center next time around, but I would still hire a doula.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm a FTM having a hospital birth with a midwife.  I hired a doula.  Since we're first timers, I dont know what to expect and that scares me.  I want someone who knows what is going on and who can help guide my husband with relaxation techniques.  My hubby is a hot mess when it comes to blood and fluids - so we don't know how he's going to hold up.  I think he'll be ok for the majority of the birth, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, he probably won't have much luck.  My doula knows to keep an eye on him and take charge of things if my hubby gets sick.
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• I'm in the exact same situation and mindset as you! Even down to the weeks pregnant. My birthing center has a list of intern doulas however I'm still not sure I want one. Im a STM however my daughter wasn't a med free birth, and it's been 16 hrs since I had her.
  • I had a hospital birth with a midwife & doula. My goal was to labor as much as possible at home but I did not feel comfortable doing it alone as a FTM so the doula gave me that peace of mind. In the end, though, my labor was very manageable without the doula & she ended up arriving at my house when I was in transition so we headed to the hospital once she arrived. Basically she helped me through a few contractions as we headed up to triage & then encouraged me during the pushing stage (which the midwife & my husband did as well). If I ever get pregnant again I probably wouldn't hire a doula.
    Crazy Cat Lady in Training Est. 1983
    TTC 10/2010; Dx: Unexplained Infertility 12/2012
    IUI#1=BFP 4/3/13; EDD 12/13/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"