May 2013 Moms
Options

Flights of stairs - anyone's LO going down?

Lo gets up the flight of stairs no problem. Are they old enough to learn how to go down? Anyone's LO doing this? I have wood steps and am so nervous about this for some reason - it looks so scary. But come April I'm gonna need another set of arms if he can't do it on his own!

Re: Flights of stairs - anyone's LO going down?

• Options
    A has been going up and down forever. (well, a while) As soon as she started going up we would sit on the stairs with her and let her practice.. She would do it on her own but we were close by in case she needed help. We have a lot of stairs and more at my parents so I figured the sooner she got used to them the better.

They are definitely old enough as long as they are ready. Some babies might not be. (which is obviously no big deal)
  • Options
    K will do a few stairs at a time by turning around and going down feet first but after a few stairs he gives up and wants to be picked up. He can walk up the stairs ok on his own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO just figured out how to go down on her butt last week. She's gotten pretty quick going down now and it's only been a week. She still holds onto me with one hand so you can tell not totally confident yet.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I always stay a step ahead of or behind her, just in case of a fall, but DD goes up and down without a problem. When coming down, she sometimes goes backwards and sometimes scoots down on her butt.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    blush64 said:
    A has been going up and down forever. (well, a while) As soon as she started going up we would sit on the stairs with her and let her practice.. She would do it on her own but we were close by in case she needed help. We have a lot of stairs and more at my parents so I figured the sooner she got used to them the better. They are definitely old enough as long as they are ready. Some babies might not be. (which is obviously no big deal)
    This.  J even has gotten to the point where he will lay down and push from the top stair and slide on his belly the rest of the way down.  He knows it's the fastest way!!! 
  • Options
    DS has been going up them for awhile. He did go down the stairs backwards for a little bit, but now he holds an adult's hand and steps down them frontwards. And I don't think he is ready to walk down stairs by himself even if we are there in front of him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    DS has been going down the stairs on his belly since he was 9 months old. When we moved in August, we didn't bother gating the top or the bottom of the stairs at the new house. He just recently started hold my hand and going down upright.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    My LO has been walking up and down for about 4 months.  This was something I needed to teach her pretty quickly since she has always been a bigger baby (28+ lbs at 18 months) and honestly I was having difficulty carrying her down the steps since about 14 months.  I taught her to hold the spindles since she's too short for the hand rail, and go one step at a time.  I'm usually right there with her, but there have been times that she's run off and gone both up and down the stairs without me.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    He's been going down feet first for months. We haven't started going down upright, yet. He shows interest on our outside steps though. He's tiny though so it will probably be hard for him right now.
  • Options

My favorite was when he was first learning and we'd tell him to get on his belly and he would sit down feet away from the top of the stairs and then scoot over.  I liked his over-cautiousness much more than this new invincible thing he's got going on. 

This is what my guy does for the 2 steps going into the den - he starts like a mile away!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'll give it a go!
  • Options
    I don't know what I was so scared of - he just did it (backwards, feet first like he does the 2 steps into our den) and he did great. :)
    Thanks again guys - I probably would've went on thinking, naaaa he's too little.
  • Options
    She hasn't really been around stairs much. She can go up them fine and when she goes down i help her. She will sit on her butt going down too.
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                            Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"