July 2014 Moms
Options

Baby wearing

for those who do "wear" their babies, how many hours per day do you wear them? Is it possible to wear them too much? Also, why would one choose a wrap over a carrier once baby is no longer a NB?

Re: Baby wearing

• Options
    This past week DS has started crying if I walk away from him to do something. He will be playing happily in his jumper and then scream bloody murder if I go out of his view. So, I've been wearing him in the ergo probably 5 hours a day total. This includes at home and when we are out running errands. So much easier to put him in there than carry the car seat everywhere.

I never used a wrap so I'm no help with that question, but I don't think you can wear them too much.

A/W SS. Here's a picture out walking with DS today. He really enjoys the ergo. I have the ergo 360 on my Christmas list!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't wrap but am considering it because wraps are less bulky and generally prettier. Plus they allow for back carries sooner than SSC's.

Yes, it is possible to wear for too long at a time, babies need to stretch and move around for proper development.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image          image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't wear him everyday, just when I really need to get something done and he is wanting to be near me. I also use it for outings.

Yeah I would think being in the carrier for more than a few hours would be really uncomfortable for the baby.

I, personally, did not really like my wrap except for snuggling but I'd be willing to give it another go with the next baby. I love my ERgo though.
    Baby boy "F" was born on 7/11/14!!

• Options
    How much I wear her depends on the day. If we are out and about - I might wear her 4-6 hours per day. On a regular "stay home" day, it's more like 1-2 hours. I wore her more as a newborn when she would nap in the carrier. Now she needs to be in a dark, quiet room to nap well.

I have two carriers that I use - the first is a Boba Wrap, which I use mostly as a newborn carrier. It's got more head support for when they're really floppy. Now I keep it in my car as my backup carrier if I forget my primary carrier.

I use the Ergo as my primary carrier once she could hold her head up better. I don't like the infant insert (had it with DS and could never get comfortable with it) so I only start using this carrier when they're about 12 lbs or so. Love how easy it is to get this one on and off and it's super comfortable. I got mine new with tags off Craigslist for about $40. Totally worth every penny. I used it with DS until he was about 1.5 years old and no longer wanted to be carried much. Added bonus is that DH can use it as well (not that he does it often!).

• Options
    I am wearing DS less now but wore him 5-6 hours/day as a newborn. Now I only wear him when we are running errands or if he's having apart usually hard day.

I started out with a wrap and the Ergo 360. DS HATED the newborn insert for the Ergo (he was never one of those babies that likes to be tightly snug), so I tried the wrap but I felt like he just got lost in the fabric. I ended up buying a Baby K'tan but am seeing that it's less functional beyond lightweight newborn. DS always wants to be able to see where we're going, so he prefers the Ergo 360 to the Maya Wrap but I still use the wrap when I'm in a hurry.

In terms of too much, I always noticed that DS let me know when he was ready to get out by wiggling and squirming. Now that he's rolling and starting to be more mobile, he's less comfortable in carriers for extended periods.
  • Options
    I use a wrap.  We have a carrier (ergo) that I find bulky and cumbersome.  It's better for DH to use.  The wrap is great to just fold up and tuck into the diaper bag when I'm not using it.  I've also used it to lay DD on while at the park or what not.  

As others said, it's certainly possible to wear your baby too much, as they do need to move and stretch.  I also don't want DD to become so attached that I can't do anything without wearing her (not to say this would happen, but I don't want to possibly start "bad" habits).  I tend to wear DD when running errands with both kids so my hands are free, at church so she can nap on me, or out for walks.  Not so much around the house.  I wore DS until around his first birthday when I broke my foot and wasn't carrying anything around at that point.  It's definitely doable, and probably easier with a wrap as there are more options for how to wear your kid.
  • Options
    I prefer the wrap over the backpack style carrier. I only had the back pack style with DS and didn't feel comfortable wearing it with him, I always felt like he might fall out or the carrier would break. I bought a moby wrap with DD and love it. I feel like it supports her better and fits me better. DD is a cuddler so I use it when she wants to be held and I need to get a few things done or when we are out for several hours shopping and such.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also only wear DS when out and about, but haven't even done that lately. Will try wearing DS on errands at some point, mostly so I don't look like an idiot at whole foods pushing the stroller and pulling a cart!

• Options
    DD is always worn at the grocery store, but other than that, it's sporadic. I wore her recently when we took the kids to a children's museum and again at a local holiday festival but I don't really wear her around the house like I used to when she was a newborn. She prefers to nap in her swing and play on the floor when she's awake. I use a Beco Gemini.
  • Options
    DS throws a shit fit when I try to wear DD.  He wants to be worn.  I am a walking pack mule with those two.  I tried wrapping but it wasn't for me.  I love my KP and was glad that I got a neutral pattern to use with both babies. Carriers be expensive, yo!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @bullybutt‌ I feel your pain. I call this look desperate for naptime. And yes, I know the guy in the back is too big for a bink. I suck and we are working on it.
    I would gladly take a paci over DS's thumb in his mouth.  At least when you're ready, you can cut a hole in it to lose the suction/tell him it's broken, do something to take it away.  Not so much with the thumb.

Also, I love this pic of everyone!
  • Options
    I wear my son maybe an hour and a half total on a normal stay-at-home day, and 4 or 5 hours a day on the weekends when we're out and about. I have a woven wrap (girasol), a ring sling, and a baby bjorn - I love the baby bjorn best of all. I don't feel like I ever got the hang of the ring sling. The woven wrap was too cumbersome, I never liked that it had to drag on the ground a bit while I was wrapping it, and it was way too hot in sunny California. Baby and I both got heat rashes while wearing it. The baby bjorn is very quick to get on and off, baby can face out, which he loves, and it's made out of athletic mesh, so it breathes. The woven wrap was certainly the prettiest, however. So much do that I'm thinking of using the fabric to recover the dining room chairs and make throw pillows out of what's left.
  • Options
    I have a K'Tan, but I only wear her when we're going to be out and about for awhile. She's a skinny-mini so it works well for us. When she gets heavier, I'll probably try out my Ergo and see how that goes. 

As far as wearing them too much, I'm not really sure. Coraline gets really irritated if she's worn for any more than a few hours.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I do the ergo for walks. Keeps my hands free for dog/coffee/etc. But she doesn't like being confined in it when we're not on the go.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"