Stay at Home Moms

What is it going to take to help this board find a pulse again?

One of the things that I admired about this board was that there was always new threads and discussions going on. Since the shake down, this board has died. I thought it would only be temporary, but it's taking longer than I thought. I realize many people left, but there has been a bunch of intro's as well. Just curious as to what it's going to take to get this board going again? Or if this is going to be the new normal? 

Re: What is it going to take to help this board find a pulse again?

• I know...this board is not helping me to avoid studying...

C'mon everyone!  Is it because everyone is too nice; not enough drama?!?
  • I actually thought more people would post more often because there was less drama and everyone seems so nice. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm new! I intro'ed last week on the expecting SAHM thread I have just been crazy busy with the holiday but I'm super excited to get more involved!
  • I've had people visiting, Thanksgiving happening, and an overall uninteresting life. 

I'm always game for pop culture discussions.  

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• I'm normally on a lot more but have been very busy with the holiday and having DH off work all week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Can someone clue me in on why this board was happening before? I must have missed it.

I post on and off since a few months ago. Some weeks are busy especially since my son is 10 months and loves to open drawers, so two seconds is a lifetime. But I check in often.

• We have all been sick so I've been a little MIA. Also my daughter just turned one on Friday and she's all over the place so I'm pretty exhausted trying to keep up. I'm still trying to check in though.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I'm new here :D expecting our first and will be SAHM after the delivery, though I am continuing work during pregnancy. So, I figured I woukd familiarize myself with this board and the people in it until August when baby is due!
  • I know! I was only a moderate poster so it's sad that I'm now one of the most active. I've been lurking a bit on the "place that shall not be named", but I don't really want/need to start accounts in more places. I'm also lurking on WM again even though I left my job last spring. That board has been more interesting!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think if everyone tried to start a new topic at least every other week then we could get going again.

Some of the lurkers need to come out of hiding.

• jag101 said: I actually thought more people would post more often because there was less drama and everyone seems so nice.  Eh I really don't feel like there was that much drama before.  Certainly not more than on any other active board.  As for the question posted. I don't think Im bump legally allowed to say.  I don't want to wake up with a bloody ban hammer in my bed. 
  • I will just say that on the "other" board there is a 6 page thread on Ferguson. Was that even mentioned here? Now, I haven't been a super active participant lately on any board, just because I have been busy. But when I get the time I am going where the interesting discussions are
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • jag101 said:
    I actually thought more people would post more often because there was less drama and everyone seems so nice. 
    Eh I really don't feel like there was that much drama before.  Certainly not more than on any other active board.  As for the question posted. I don't think Im bump legally allowed to say.  I don't want to wake up with a bloody ban hammer in my bed.  Why wouldn't you be allowed to say? Could you rephrase it in allowable terms? 
  • It's a hell of a lot more riveting than Black Friday shopping and stocking stuffers. But if that's what you find interesting, have at it
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I would love to be more active but i've been super busy. Maybe that will change this week?!? probably not. 3 kids kill me. 
  • Oh and since I live in the opposite side of the country I see that I can help change the culture of his country by talking about inequality instead of sitting high up on my white privilege and pretending that it doesn't exist. I have no control over the local politics in a small town thousands of miles away but I can enlighten those around me.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Mlc10811 said:

Oh and since I live in the opposite side of the country I see that I can help change the culture of his country by talking about inequality instead of sitting high up on my white privilege and pretending that it doesn't exist. I have no control over the local politics in a small town thousands of miles away but I can enlighten those around me.

You make me giggle.
    Thanks! :)
    Look, snark! This should help shake things up around here. I'm glad you find my ability to think of someone outside of myself amusing. It shows your character.

• I've been busy with the holidays but in general I feel like I haven't had much to contribute to recent threads, maybe because I'm a new mom and new to staying at home. As far as controversial opinions go, I guess I've always been nervous that I'll express an opinion that I haven't had the opportunity to consider from some other perspective and I'll get lambasted. Worst case scenario, I'll get schooled, reconsider my opinion, and not get thrown to the wolves right??

• Mlc10811 said:

Mlc10811 said:

Oh and since I live in the opposite side of the country I see that I can help change the culture of his country by talking about inequality instead of sitting high up on my white privilege and pretending that it doesn't exist. I have no control over the local politics in a small town thousands of miles away but I can enlighten those around me.

You make me giggle.
    Thanks! :)
    Look, snark! This should help shake things up around here. I'm glad you find my ability to think of someone outside of myself amusing. It shows your character.

Please, do tell me more about myself that I didn't know.

Do I also clutch my pearls every time a homosexual walks by? Lock my doors whenever a Muslim looks my way?

I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!! ~X(

Well, if you had shared your bias during a GTKY then I would have answers for you. However, since you didn't share that you are not able to see beyond your white privilege, I had to infer it based on your post. A GTKY about racism would definitely liven things up around here.

• Mlc10811 said:

I was pretty relieved that no one brought up Ferguson here. Its every damn where.

I'm not saying it doesnt need to be discussed, this actions and reactions will no doubt be written in the history books of our children.

But at some point you just get fucking sick of hearing/talking about it.

As far as OP's question, I say just give it time. Holidays are busy for everyone.

I bet the people in this country who live in fear of being shot for being Male and black arent tired of talking about it... Since you know, nothing has changed.

and then there are those who accept the media driven agenda.

Actually, I've been doing some reading and research, including listening to people who are living that experience. I figured that they might actually have a better idea of what it's like to be a black man in this country, since I am neither of those things.

• Honestly, it just takes time for everyone to gel.  When the former regs left, they took a lot of long-time friendships with them, and that means that they took a lot of established norms with them as well.  I'm guessing it is business as usual for them in their new home, and we haven't established what our "usual" is yet.  Believe it or not, when I first started lurking over here 3 years ago, a lot of our discussions were about housekeeping and childcare without a high level of current events, etc. threads.  A group of regs established themselves and created a community they enjoyed.  It will happen here again, but it takes time.  Jag, maybe you have some interesting non-SAH-related topics you'd like to bring up? 
    I tried. Don't you remember the sex post that I started that bombed royally?  
  • I think we are all in first date mode right now. The lighthearted GTKY's and holiday questions are a necessary evil if we all want to become comfortable with each other. As long as no one starts talking about the weather or airplane food, I think we can make it through this and start something beautiful.

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• Isn't this what TB wanted? A board full of conservative leaning housewives who talk about meal plans and linens? It's boring as fuck over here now but at least no one is going to get banned for inciting a fruit snacks riot. 

No, it was the assumption that the previous regs had that TB wanted to flush them out to make way for "conservative" SAH'ers. In reality it looks like they are ramping up sign ups through their new app and need a friendlier peeps (and less full throttle bitching about fruit snacks) on all boards to gain clicks to generate more revenue. If the regs constantly drive off the newbs (aka clicks) drive off the regs to wipe a new slate to make it more general public friendly. The regs felt they had more clout than they actually had and more pull with the entity and thus came up with the conspiracy theory to make them "right" Really it doesn't take a marketing guru to see what is going on across the boards with the new TOU.

Isn't this basically what I said? The boards needed a makeover, personality wise. 

• edited December 2014
    Isn't this what TB wanted? A board full of conservative leaning housewives who talk about meal plans and linens? It's boring as fuck over here now but at least no one is going to get banned for inciting a fruit snacks riot. 

No, it was the assumption that the previous regs had that TB wanted to flush them out to make way for "conservative" SAH'ers. In reality it looks like they are ramping up sign ups through their new app and need a friendlier peeps (and less full throttle bitching about fruit snacks) on all boards to gain clicks to generate more revenue. If the regs constantly drive off the newbs (aka clicks) drive off the regs to wipe a new slate to make it more general public friendly. The regs felt they had more clout than they actually had and more pull with the entity and thus came up with the conspiracy theory to make them "right" Really it doesn't take a marketing guru to see what is going on across the boards with the new TOU.

Yeah more newbs may be comfortable joining but lively boards get people to stay/lurkers. A bunch of people come, say wow this is boring and leave quickly. Pretty easy to prove too--look at the views of posts now on the first page then check back three months and see the difference. Unless some people start stepping up and bringing more interesting (and at times controversial) stuff to discuss nothings going to change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OP, there you go. You've sussed out at least three right-wing conservatives on the board.

And a liberal or two.
    "Liberal" didn't used to be a dirty word on the SAHM board.

And seriously, lol @ being tired of talking about Ferguson. Tablecloths are fair game but there's nothing left to say about serious racial inequity. Hokay. FTR, The Place That Shall Not Be Named has threads about stockings and boring crap. It is the threads about real life and the other posters challenging your views that makes it interesting and keeps people coming back.

And I have always thought it is so weird when posters come on just to say they're too busy raising their kids to post.
  • edited December 2014
    Isn't this what TB wanted? A board full of conservative leaning housewives who talk about meal plans and linens? It's boring as fuck over here now but at least no one is going to get banned for inciting a fruit snacks riot. 

Isn't this basically what I said? The boards needed a makeover, personality wise. 

Not really.. You're using the most bitchy words you can find. Basically you're acting like an ass about who you perceive is filling the board.
    Please find one "bitchy" word I used. Conservative leaning? Is that bitchy? Come on. I don't know who you think you are, but you are exactly the type of personality that drives people away. 

ETA: Who do I think is filing the board? How am I acting like an ass about them? I didn't insult one single poster, I just said, what several others said, that it's boring here. Calm down. 
  • I was pretty relieved that no one brought up Ferguson here. Its every damn where. I'm not saying it doesnt need to be discussed, this actions and reactions will no doubt be written in the history books of our children. But at some point you just get fucking sick of hearing/talking about it. As far as OP's question, I say just give it time. Holidays are busy for everyone.
    I bet the people in this country who live in fear of being shot for being Male and black arent tired of talking about it... Since you know, nothing has changed.
    and then there are those who accept the media driven agenda.
      Sweet baby Jesus upon the manger make it stop! 
  • jag101 said:

Honestly, it just takes time for everyone to gel.  When the former regs left, they took a lot of long-time friendships with them, and that means that they took a lot of established norms with them as well.  I'm guessing it is business as usual for them in their new home, and we haven't established what our "usual" is yet.  Believe it or not, when I first started lurking over here 3 years ago, a lot of our discussions were about housekeeping and childcare without a high level of current events, etc. threads.  A group of regs established themselves and created a community they enjoyed.  It will happen here again, but it takes time.  Jag, maybe you have some interesting non-SAH-related topics you'd like to bring up? 

I tried. Don't you remember the sex post that I started that bombed royally?  

Sex post?!?!? I missed it! Damn :((
  • This board is boring because it has brought out the stereotypical SAHM. Uneducated women who prefer to live in their husbands shadow, are so "thankful" no one else is "raising" their kids and actually enjoy talking about table cloths. You ran off the majority of the well educated, well spoken women and kept the rest. Therefore attracting more right wing homophobic racist posters who hide behind God but are too weak in their convictions to actually stand behind them. Good luck with getting a board going with that.

This is insulting to the rest of us..
    Exactly. I didn't post much because I know I disagreed with the large majority of the used to be regs and don't feel the need to post very often, even now. I'm very right wing conservative. Getting into an argument with internet strangers isn't my idea of a good time. I discuss current events with my family and friends (many who disagree with me, so there are many disagreements). I'm fine reading normal wife/mom posts, the kind if things I don't really discuss in real life. Oh yeah, and I'm a college grad and got into veterinary school. Way to make a blanket statement.

• Isn't this what TB wanted? A board full of conservative leaning housewives who talk about meal plans and linens? It's boring as fuck over here now but at least no one is going to get banned for inciting a fruit snacks riot. 

Not really.. You're using the most bitchy words you can find. Basically you're acting like an ass about who you perceive is filling the board.
    Please find one "bitchy" word I used. Conservative leaning? Is that bitchy? Come on. I don't know who you think you are, but you are exactly the type of personality that drives people away. 

ETA: Who do I think is filing the board? How am I acting like an ass about them? I didn't insult one single poster, I just said, what several others said, that it's boring here. Calm down. 
    If you can't figure out what part of your post was offensive to those who are not conservative, don't do meal plans and don't own, nor care for table cloths then maybe you need a self evaluation. Your whole post comes off as you've got everyone pegged and high and mighty. Hi, you can call me FBW. I'd say nice to meet you buuuuuuuuuut.
    LOL, says the new HBIC of deadsville. Have fun. 
  • This board is boring because it has brought out the stereotypical SAHM. Uneducated women who prefer to live in their husbands shadow, are so "thankful" no one else is "raising" their kids and actually enjoy talking about table cloths. You ran off the majority of the well educated, well spoken women and kept the rest. Therefore attracting more right wing homophobic racist posters who hide behind God but are too weak in their convictions to actually stand behind them. Good luck with getting a board going with that.
    Stereotypes are gross. I'm very well educated & far from homophobic. I've been lurking, but some of the topics are boring to me. I don't really care about tablecloths or holiday decorations (that much). I'd rather discuss current events or something. I think fear of the ban-hammer is a big contributor to the crickets on the boards.
    +1 
  • hlm184hlm184 member
    edited December 2014
    This board is boring because it has brought out the stereotypical SAHM. Uneducated women who prefer to live in their husbands shadow, are so "thankful" no one else is "raising" their kids and actually enjoy talking about table cloths. You ran off the majority of the well educated, well spoken women and kept the rest. Therefore attracting more right wing homophobic racist posters who hide behind God but are too weak in their convictions to actually stand behind them. Good luck with getting a board going with that.
    Stereotypes are gross. I'm very well educated & far from homophobic. I've been lurking, but some of the topics are boring to me. I don't really care about tablecloths or holiday decorations (that much). I'd rather discuss current events or something. I think fear of the ban-hammer is a big contributor to the crickets on the boards.

=D>
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"