January 2015 Moms
Options

Is baby with you the entire time immediately following a c section?

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't know. My twins were born 8 wks early so right after the c section, my hubby was with them while they were taken to the nicu. I was taken to recovery for an hour or 2 and just had a nurse with me. Dh came after an hour or so once he knew the status of the boys. I'm having a repeat c sec and not realy sure what to expect with a baby that (fingers crossed) makes it to term and doesn't have to be carted away to the nicu. Any stories are appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Is baby with you the entire time immediately following a c section?

• Options
    This is definitely a question to pose to your OB and/or hospital where you will be delivering because different facilities have different protocol.

I had the same concern before my older daughter was born. In our case, she never left my sight, and I was rolled out of the OR with her in my arms.

Good luck! I hope you have an  uneventful delivery and that you don't have to wait in recovery before holding your baby.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    It depends on the hospital. Most the ones I've worked at allow a few hours of recovery and then LO stays with mom until discharge.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would guess that it probably depends on quite a few different factors... but DH held DS as soon as the nurses weighed him and wrapped him in a blanket. And I got him as soon as I could feel my arms again (which was basically about the time the dr was finished stitching me up) in the OR.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My dd was delivered by c-section due to being breech. She was in the room with me and then when they were closing me up they took her and my husband to a recovery room and had him do skin to skin with her. Once they were done with me I was right there with them in recovery. I was with her most of the time and my husband was with her when I was not.
  • Options
    LanatirLanatir member
    edited November 2014
    The hospital I'm delivering at says they take the birth partner and LO out of the room for weighing/tests/etc and you rejoin them in a recovery room close to 20-30 min later after being stitched up and "un-OR-ed."  Whatever that all entails...

So it's definitely looking like it will depend on the hospital.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I will have to ask my dr this week. I just remember being stitched up and then moving to another room for what felt like forever before even getting to our room and having to start getting cleaned up myself (yuck). So just wondered where baby was during all of this - I'm hoping it's like what most of you said and hubby can just hold her while they deal with me!
  • Options
    I'd definitely ask your hospital because it probably depends on their policy (like others have said). With my DD her csection was urgent after she was in distress during labor. When they prepped me they told me she'd be with me the whole time but when it was time to go to recovery they said they had to take her to the nursery because there had been a lot of emergency csections that night and they didn't have enough nurses to send her with me. I sent DH with her for skin to skin and I went to recovery alone and finally got to see her two hours later.

This time I'm told since it's scheduled she shoud be with me the whole time. I'm hoping that's the case because last time was tough emotionally and I'm hoping for a different experience!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lanatir said:

The hospital I'm delivering at says they take the birth partner and LO out of the room for weighing/tests/etc and you rejoin them in a recovery room close to 20-30 min later after being stitched up and "un-OR-ed."  Whatever that all entails...

So it's definitely looking like it will depend on the hospital.

This was my experience. They took DS and DH to the nursery where they bathed him and then reunited us what felt like forever.
  • Options
    mali3mali3 member
    edited December 2014
    The simple answer is usually no. The reason is that babies born via csection need vitals taken often and that is why they typically go to the nursery...Because it is staffed with nurses. However, this time around I expressed to my dr that I did not want the baby to leave me, so they are going to try to have a nurse stay with the baby in the OR with me so he can be with me the entire time. There is no gaurentee, but it is worth asking!

Eta... I have had one emergency csection, 1 scheduled, and the next is scheduled as well.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"