January 2015 Moms

STMs Post Partum Hemorrhage

Just wondering how common this actually is and how big of a deal it is. With everything else that can go on during labor and delivery this is one thing that worries me.

Re: STMs Post Partum Hemorrhage

• Starting with baby #2 I have to take blood thinners during pregnancy and post partum. Even while taking blood thinners I didn't notice any difference in my PP bleeding. Definitely not something to obsess over. Your body knows what to do!
  • I agree with others - don't go looking for things to worry about. Assuming you are being treated in an environment with qualified medical professionals (CNMs or doctors), they'll know what complications to look for and how to respond if it happens. Even at a birthing center, they're prepared for emergency transfer in the unlikely event something serious happens.

My SIL had retained placenta and was hemorrhaging on the table after am incredibly routine delivery. The doctors treated the situation very calmly, explaining that there was some bleeding they had to stop, and could my BIL hold the baby now while they took my SIL in for surgery? No panic, no fuss. They handled it efficiently and it was only afterward that she realized how serious it was. But the doctors knew what they were doing and handled it. No need to panic, certainly not ahead of time and not even if it happens. You can't prevent it and you can't fix it - doctors can fix it, if it happens.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Like the PPs said, it's not something that you need to worry about. Yes, it can happen, but it is rare. Your medical professionals know what to look for, and you will be in good hands. You will bleed after you give birth, and you will pass clots for a while(as large as a golf ball is normal; any larger, and you need to tell a nurse). It's not the most pleasant experience, but it's normal and healthy. Plus, your sweet LO will be more than worth it! :)
    Try not to focus of what might go wrong, and focus on the new life that you're creating!
  • I agree with everyone about not freaking yourself out over something you have no control over. That said, I had a postpartum hemmorage that was handled so well I had no idea how serious it was. DH was holding the baby and they gave me some pitocin (and probably something to help with clotting), massaged my uterus, and it stopped pretty quickly. They told me later that I almost needed a blood transfusion, but the only thing I noticed is that I was REALLY thirsty for about a week afterward. I guess the bottom line is that while it sounds like a very scary thing, the doctors and nurses know what to look for and what to do if it happens.

• After I gave birth I was started on pitocin to minimize the blood loss
  • It is super rare, and even more rare for a FTM. I hemorrhaged after DD3, and the worst part about it was that they had to massage my abdomen fresh after a c/s, after the spinal had worn off. Otherwise, it would have not been so bad. The nurses still brought the baby in to BF as I was being treated, and I had to take iron for a short time afterwards.

It's not something to worry about, since it's easy for doctors to handle and it's so rare.

• I was in the 1-5% with my first, so this time they have suggested to give oxytocin to me when the baby is being delivered rather than after the baby is out. This is the proactive approach to hopefully avoid another one.
  • My doctor actually told me that this was my biggest risk during labour and it's because I have red hair.  He told me not to worry about it - they know how to handle it and will be prepared if they need to be.

Like everyone has said - try to worry about all the what it's.  Chances are on your side that this, and most other things that could go wrong will not.  Just think of holding that sweet baby in your arms.
    After 8 yrs of ttc little one is due Jan. 28

Big brother is excited to meet this little one!

• Thanks ladies I feel very reassured. I know there is nothing I can do about it, if it's going to happen it will happen but for some strange reason that was just something that was on my mind. I have no idea why.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"