January 2015 Moms

girl names!!

I'm 31 weeks and bf and I can not decide on our baby girls name! I want it to be unique but not crazy. He loves the name Rozlynn Marie but I hate the idea of calling her Roz. Is there any pretty, new names you've heard of lately for a girl? Thanks!!

Re: girl names!!

• naming babies is hard, we had such a hard time with girls names this time and last. finding new names is impossible as most name just cycle round. in the end we went with names that aren't  new but are not (or were not) in the top 100. Try googling names from different eras and cultures, novels Ect. we Named DD Quinn Harper and the new Little Miss Is Blaire Everly. Good 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the www.nameberry.com site.

Here are a bunch of R names:
    https://nameberry.com/search/girls_names/R

Maybe instead of Rozlynn you could name her Rosalie and call her Rose for short?
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the name Rosalyn, I know a very awesome lady named this.

I also like the name Piper

Roxanne would be a good choice too IMO
  • Whatever you do, just please spell it correctly. We're going to have a generation of adults with names no one can pronounce, and they're going to be really tired of having to constantly spell their names to everyone. I suggest going by the doctor/teacher test. If they will have trouble pronouncing your child's name when they call on them, then you should probably think of a less younique spelling. Know what I mean?

ETA: Rosalind is the correct spelling of the name your bf likes, and I think it is beautiful the original way! It's a very pretty name!
    My DD's name isn't younique / made-up, however almost every time we go to the doctor, the secretary cannot pronounce it correctly. So there's always that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a common name but with an unique spelling.  I am constantly correcting people on the spelling and the pronunciation of my name, constantly.  I can't tell you how old it gets.  I have even thought of having my name legally changed, but that would probably cause more headaches.  

Anyways, if I am throwing names out there, we are going with Nora for this one.  It is in the top 100 but is in the 80's or 90's as far as I know.  It's pretty, traditional, a little common but not a whole lot and everyone will know how to spell and pronounce her name ( for the most part ). 
  • I love the nickname Ro/Roe. Just a thought...
  • Whatever you do, just please spell it correctly. We're going to have a generation of adults with names no one can pronounce, and they're going to be really tired of having to constantly spell their names to everyone. I suggest going by the doctor/teacher test. If they will have trouble pronouncing your child's name when they call on them, then you should probably think of a less younique spelling. Know what I mean?

ETA: Rosalind is the correct spelling of the name your bf likes, and I think it is beautiful the original way! It's a very pretty name!
    My DD's name isn't younique / made-up, however almost every time we go to the doctor, the secretary cannot pronounce it correctly. So there's always that.
    Jolene is one of my most favorite names of all time. My husband veto'd because it has a twang sound to it and he's not a fan of twangs. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I absolutely agree with sticking to traditional spellings. As a teacher, I have seen some really rough ones, and the poor kids have to deal with it. Our daughter's name will be Emlyn, which is a Welsh name. I'm a little worried that it's too "out there". I also don't want her to constantly have to say, "No, not Emily. Emlyn. E-m-l-y-n". I dunno. Harper was our runner-up, but that's too popular for my taste. Names are hard.
    I really like Emlyn, I'm shocked, but I do. 

All that said, your fear bolded above is totally what's going to happen. So if you don't want that to happen, I'd rethink. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • edited December 2014
    Dolly is the best. This song is on my running mix. Along with Kenny Rogers The Gambler, and her duet with Kenny, Islands in the Stream. 

i'm quite the eclectic runner. 

I had a gut feeling DD2 was going to be a redhead, so I'm still bitter he veto'd this name. 

• I like Evalina or Seraphina; you could always shorten them to Eva or Eve, and Sera, if you wanted a more 'normal' sounding nickname. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"