January 2015 Moms

How many weeks is too late to travel?

How many weeks is the max you would plan on traveling/driving. I'm planning on a driving trip that's 4.5 hours away when I'll be 37 weeks (plus the trip home). I plan and will be able to make a couple stops along the way. I'm not high risk and y'all know both of my pregnancies were induced early. Do you think I'm crazy for still planning on making the trip?

There are hospitals along the way and in the city I'll end up in if that makes a difference. I will be talking to my OB about it when I go in next week, but just curious what y'all think.

Re: How many weeks is too late to travel?

• It's up to your OB. Mine has told me they don't want me going more than 2 hours away at this point without checking by them, and I am not quite 34 weeks. And I wouldn't willingly go in the car for longer than 3 hours at this point, and you couldn't pay me to get on a plane. I last flew at 29 weeks, and I was really uncomfortable - the pressure from landing felt like baby was going to drop out!
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• I would probably not make the trip if I had previous experience of being induced early.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be driving a 4 hour round trip at 36 1/2 weeks (weather permitting) for a family Christmas but my first baby was almost two weeks overdue so I'm not concerned about going into labour. However, subsequent babies tend to come much faster then first babies, so just make sure you take anything you may need if something were to go down!
  • I think it's a matter of preference. I travel a lot for work and told my boss and coworkers that I'm not traveling past 36 weeks.  For me, I would hate to be in a hospital far from home, without DH, or midwives, when I go into labor. But I'm also planning/hoping for a natural birth.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll be at 34 and a half weeks when we make a 2.5 hour trip for my family's Christmas get together. My OB was okay with that, but told me after that I was done traveling. Everything has been pretty normal with my pregnancy (except my cord placement, but it hasn't caused any problems). I think it's up to you and your doctor.
  • I was told no traveling after 36 weeks by my OB.
  • MaebbMaebb member
    edited November 2014
    I would not travel more than 2 hours after 36 weeks.

I had a very normal pregnancy with DS, no complications, no early contractions, but I still would not want to risk it. My water breaking to DS being born was 6 hours, so this one could be quicker, and 4.5 hours would mean that I would probably have to deliver in an unfamiliar hospital.

For example, there is a hospital in my IL's town, but I would absolutely not want to deliver there. It is very rural, and it doesn't have a great reputation. If they had an issue there, they would have to life-flight me to my regular hospital anyway.

I guess it's up to you, but I am very comfortable with my doctors and my hopital and would not want to deliver somewhere else.
  • I'm flying to a wedding 2.5 hours away next weekend (leaving 33w5d, returning 34w2d). But after we get back I'm not planning on going anyway more than about a 45 min drive until this baby arrives, mostly for my own comfort as I get a bit stiff in the car. I think it's probably ok to go though, as long as you are comfortable with the possibility of delivering somewhere other than where you planned.
  • I asked my doctor about doing an 8 hour drive at 37 weeks. She said it's fine as I'm low risk but that I should stop lots, take a copy of my records, and contact my in-law's doctor in case I do go into labour while there. I just did a 3 hour drive at 32 weeks and it was fine except for getting sick on the side of the road once. We regularly so 8-12 hour drives to visit family though.

Luckily everyone wants to ski so my husband's family are all coming here now. I won't be driving more than 1.5 hours anywhere until baby comes.
  • My ob said 35 weeks no more then an hour away from the hospital.
  • At this point I'm already very very uncomfortable being stuck in traffic or travelling for two hrs. Even if it'll be fine to travel I wouldn't take it out of my not wanting to be too exhausted. Check w ur doc.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I talked to my OB months ago, and she wssn't thrilled about the idea of me traveling 3 hours away for christmas.  She said she could check me right before the trip and we could go from there, but i decided to make other plans for christmas this year.  

We traveled for Thanksgiving.  2 1/2 hours to my parents on wednesday and then another 3 hours to fargo on THursday.  Then 3 hours back to my parents friday morning and yesterday 2 1/2 hours back home.  Honestly, I am glad that is my last trip.  I am so sore and tired from the travel and my back hurts so bad.  Plus I had a ton of cramping last night.  Not only that I was TERRIFIED that we were going to get stuck in the snow or something.  

I guess all in all its up to you and your OB, but at this point for me, i am done traveling until after the baby is born. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm traveling 4.5 hrs away at 35/36 weeks as long as all is still well. My first was 2 weeks late and this one is a scheduled c section, so I don't expect I'll have any labor issues. My OB said it was fine and that I just have to bring some paperwork with me just in case.
  • Personally, I wouldn't, but I am mostly thinking about how uncomfortable I'd be sitting in a car that long.  If you decide to go, I agree with PP that you should have a copy of your medical record and a list with directions from the interstate to all hospitals you pass along the way.  As you already know, drink plenty of fluids and try to stop often.  I think every hour is recommended at that point.  Good luck!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, you girls are crazy!  35 minutes away was like a lifetime on Thanksgiving for me!  I guess you can tell I live in the smallest state.
  • I would personally not do it, unless it was for something really really important. I think it would be uncomfortable and I wouldn't like being away from my primary care provider if something went wrong. Definitely have a conversation with your doctor.
  • I'm in the same boat. I'll be 35 or 36 weeks around Christmas and H wants to go to his parents (4 hours away, in the mountains, where there is lots of snow. )
    I'm not thrilled with the idea sitting for that long, and being that far from my Dr. I have weekly monitoring, and looking at all my appointments, it looks like we may not be able to go. I told him to go alone, but then I still have Owen to care for and I can't take him to my mfm appts. I'm not at all thrilled with H taking Owen alone for several days as he'll be working the leather shop and not able to care for Owen.

• I wouldn't. I took a 4ish hour road trip while heavily pg with DD1 (don't remember exactly how many weeks) and it was miserable. I had to stop a lot to keep blood flowing to my legs and to pee. (The trip would have been shorter without all the stops, but still.) I was so uncomfortable just from riding there, and I had to drive back which was even more uncomfortable since I couldn't recline as stretch as needed. Never again will I travel that far while pg unless it's a dire situation.

• I wouldn't do it solely because of the comfort factor. I'm 36 weeks now, and have no desire to ride in a car for that long or to stay anywhere other than my own bed. If those things don't bother you, talk to your doctor about what he/she thinks.
  • I'd do it but I'm pretty nonchalant about where I have the baby. I wouldn't be bothered by having to go to another hospital or doctor

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• I would check to make sure those hospitals are in network. If not you might want to check with your insurance company as well. I have heard that some can refuse to pay if you deliver out of network close to your due date.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • I would probably not make the trip if I had previous experience of being induced early.
    The inductions were by choice. I wasn't showing any signs of labor when I was induced.
  • saiven said:
    I assume for Christmas? It's tough because you might wake up the day you're supposed to leave feeling GREAT! Or, you might not feel up to it. Personally, I wouldn't but that's because there's nothing worth traveling to for me. I know you have LOs and would like to plan, but can you play it by ear? If so, that's what I would do. Also, make sure your doctor is okay with it and, if you go, have a copy of your records in case you go into labor and need to get to a hospital.
    I would like to plan, but am still willing to play it by ear. If I'm showing any signs of progression at that point, I will not be risking the trip. It will be to see family and Christmas gift exchange.
  • Thank you all for your input. I just made the same trip for Thanksgiving with no problems. We ended up stopping 3 times on the way back because we took the scenic route and I didn't want to get stuck in an area without a bathroom. Comfort wasn't an issue at all yet.

I will be checking with my OB again the week that I go. The insurance I have is pretty good and There are a ton of OB options in the city I will be going to and even along the way that should take it. The only concern about that would be that my OB has you prepay for a normal delivery by 28 weeks, so I've already paid for them to deliver this baby. 
  • Good luck! Im 32 weeks and just back from 4.5 hour trip in which most of it was pretty uncomfortable. It probably just depends. Just keep options open if you can would be my advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"