January 2015 Moms
Options

Dental problems at 31 weeks~ stressed and scared!

I never realized that my teeth would be affected by pregnancy so much, but I feel like this could have been avoided if my dentist wasnt so hesitant. Aside from my gums generally being swollen all the time, specifically during my 2nd trimester i mentioned a concern I had with a tooth but my dentist didn't want to do anything until after I delivered. Even with a medical clearance from my obgyn she still didn't even want to do xrays. Stupid me I should of pushed the issue because something like this only gets worse in time but I assumed the dentist was right. All of a sudden at 28 weeks my tooth was hurting alot and i had to convince them to even see me because they claimed they don't work on patients in their third trimester. Well not only did i have an infection but my tooth needs to be extracted, it cant be saved.They did give me an antibiotic which helped alot but the tooth is so bad and since its close to the sinus they said it should be extracted now by an oral surgeon because of any complications they are more equipped to handle it. Now im 31 weeks waiting for the health insurance claim to go thru so I can be seen by the surgeon and I feel like im racing against the clock. I read so much stuff about an infection being dangerous to the bb and that dental work can bring on preterm labor and im just upset and stressed that this is happening now. 

Re: Dental problems at 31 weeks~ stressed and scared!

• Options
    I don't have any advice to give, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get it extracted.
  • Options
    I am so sorry you're going through this! I would definitely consider changing dentists after this is all done.

Talk to your OB about your concerns, and see if they have an oral surgeon they've worked with before.
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds awful. I agree with finding a new dentist. I hope you can get it fixed soon, and if there is anywhere to file a complaint for dentistry, I would.

• Options
    Ugh, sorry you're dealing this right now! I cracked a tooth a few years ago, and it ended up having to be extracted by an oral surgeon as well--it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Stay strong, momma!
  • Options
    You need a new dentist! I work in the dental industry and I just want to make sure the word "oral surgeon" doesn't scare you. They are just more qualified dentists and are pros at extractions and it sounds like it will be a routine extraction. Since you mentioned its near the sinus, its a top tooth which is generally easier to extract then a bottom tooth. Honestly it sounds like your dentist just passed you off because they are uncomfortable with your pregnant status, my boss does emergency extractions on pregnant people when it's needed. Could they not do a root canal and save the tooth? Dealing with the infection is important as it can have implications on the baby, so hopefully this gets resolved. I hope you aren't in too much pain!
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better I just had a root canal last week. It wasn't as bad as I thought and my dentist recommended it be done ASAP because of the risk of infection and harming the baby. The endo-whatever that did the root canal was very cautious and was a mother herself, she was well educated on what was safe and not safe. Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Endodontist ;)@kayham12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"