August 2014 Moms
Options

BF/pumping questions

I went back to work when DS was 11 weeks and he is 15 weeks now. Since I went back he seems to not nurse as well. He seems distracted and doesn't nurse as long. He will unlatch and then act like he wants to relatch only to just unlatch again shortly. He does this 3-4 times and then I assume he doesn't really want to nurse. He nurses pretty frequently still when I am home(Thursdays and weekends), every 1.5-2 hours with the only exception being if he takes a long nap. He takes bottles(3-4 oz) that often too at DC. He has tons of wet diapers and is definitely gaining(haven't actually weighed him though) I am wondering if this is an issue with a bottle preference or just a change with his age. I am afraid we are going to end up with me EPing and I really don't want that. I know about paced bottle feeding and probably need to have another conversation to make sure it's really being done, but I wasn't sure if that is the issue or if it is just normal with DS being more aware of his surroundings.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF/pumping questions

• Options
    My LO does this too and I'm at home with her al the time. Usually it's because she's distracted or coming off to play. Can this be the case?
  • Options
    Babies usually become more efficient after a few months and won't always nurse as long. If you think he is just distracted then try nursing in a quiet room and see what he does. My LO is almost 4 months and he is done nursing in like 5 minutes and then sometimes he pops on and off but isn't really eating. I'm home all day with him and he still usually eats every 2 hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @AyannaPC‌ I think that could be the case. He often gives me a grin when he pops off :)@zoegirlTX‌ I guess if we have to go to all bottles that might be a benefit for him to get on more of a schedule. Everything is still pretty sporadic when I am home. @cdseno I think you may be right about him getting more efficient. It's good to know I am not the only one whose LO still nurses frequently.
  • Options
    SoSayWeAllSoSayWeAll member
    edited November 2014
    @mrsdeo Thank you, I feel better that this might be just normal rather than a bottle preference. I really want to keep up with nursing because I like that time with him. That is interesting about a possible cause of the sleep regression. So far I haven't seen much of that, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    We are going through it too! It has gotten better, so I think it's just developmental like PP said. Hang in there:)
  • Options
    My 15 week old just started doing this too. I nurse every 1.5-2 hours as well, but if he catches a long nap and goes more like 3+ hours in between meals, he is all business. I was blaming the bottles too, but I think he likes to look around and maybe isn't super hungry every time I nurse. I read somewhere that a lot of babies tend to be social eaters anyway, so that's what I chalked it up to being.
  • Options
    First thing in the am and right before bed my LO is usually all business, but he can be very busy with his hands or social with me ( pausing to smile, etc) during other times of day. He also has definitely become a more efficient eater. He also takes 2-3 bottles a day. I am in the camp that all this is developmental.
  • Options
    Definitely just a stage. Stick with it, it will get better again. DD1 did the same thing and it made me want to quit. I can't remember when she stopped but she did and that's when I really started to love nursing. DD2 started about 3-4 weeks ago, she's 4 months now. Also she still nurses every two hours and is very efficient these days, done in less than 10 min. Hang in there. You are not alone!

imageimage
  • Options
    My daughter is 15 weeks too and has been doing the same thing-it's driving me nuts. She is exclusively breastfed and won't take a bottle. I'm now feeding her like every 4 hours but I swear she could go the whole day w/out eating! Thank God she nurses well before bed and at her night waking. I also agree that at this age they're becoming more efficient nursers. If she's super distracted I'll stop and then come back to it in like 15 mins and she send to do better.
  • Options
    I have a 13weeker who has been doing this. He loves to look around or take my nipple with him when he looks around. In any case, I too think it's a phase since they can see/hear/process so much more.
  • Options
    Distracted nursing babies are tough. I officially can't watch tv while nursing cause she'll crank her head around to watch. The lit Christmas tree is too shiny and intriguing. Oh a voice talking to mommy?! The ceiling fan is spinning! What's this fabric mommy put over my head? Is it a new toy???!!!

Glad we're still on nipple sheilds during times like this otherwise I might had to have my ripped off nipple sewn back on.

Feel your pain!

• Options

So funny - as I was reading this thread my LO did the funniest thing. He'd take a suck at the nipple, then pull off, look at me, and give me a big smile. Suck, pull off, smile, repeat. I started cracking up. Yes, hopefully just a phase!

This.

My LO has gotten faster and still nurses every 2 hrs during the day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"