January 2015 Moms
Options

Bed rest and can't freaking sleep!

Was admitted on Tuesday for the high blood pressure and contractions, and didn't fall asleep until 5:30 Wednesday morning. My doctor came and woke me up at 7 to go over everything since that's when she does her rounds upstairs in L&D. Didn't go back to sleep until 2:30, and woke up at 5:30. That was with my nurse letting me sleep as long as she couldn't without waking me up to get medicine. I couldn't go back to sleep, and didn't go back to sleep until 3:00 yesterday morning, but then a nurse came in to do blood work at 5:30 :-< When my doctor told me I could go home yesterday, she also gave me the strictest list of instructions. No getting up for anything but a shower or to use the bathroom and laying mainly on my left side. And sleep, sleep, sleep, because that's the only time my blood pressure has really stayed down. But I have not slept more than two hours at all since I have been home. Anyone else experienced this on bed rest? It's driving me crazy but I HAVE to stay in bed for my girls and I know that. Ah, I just want them to be okay :(

Re: Bed rest and can't freaking sleep!

• Options
    Bed rest is brutal on sleep. It totally messes up your schedule. Been there. Can you take something like benadryl?
  • Options
    @NatureLovers‌, any medicine that had helped me actually go to sleep has made my blood pressure get too high. So I just have to just be so exhausted and fall asleep and still usually don't get more than four hours in :( I didn't realize it would be so hard. Not being on hospital bed rest and actually being at home makes it really tempting to get up and do things to make me tired, but I know that I can't. Definitely the hardest thing I've had to do so far.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bummer that you can't take anything! I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. :( Hang in there. Maybe @MusicFanatic‌ might have something to suggest?
  • Options
    Yes, bedrest is SUPER hard and I'm sorry you're there.  Like NL said, it really can mess with your schedule sleep wise.  I found that it was a BAD idea to nap. It's hard to resist because you actually get more tired when bored, but then my schedule was REALLY messed up.  You need to find things to do in bed that will keep your mind occupied and moving.  Then do something relaxing before it's time to sleep that may keep your eyes tired (reading?).   I did lots of TV watching (start a new series!), crossword puzzles, reading, word searches, coloring, sewing and knitting (if you don't know how to do either, try! I learned to knit while on bedrest from YouTube).  I did some paint by numbers.  Can you have friends or family over? You can play cards with them.  FaceTime/Skype people you miss. Write real letters to people. I wrote some letters to Zoe to read when she's older. I also did postcards and sent them out. 

I know it absolutely sucks, but just try and find things to keep you occupied.  It will help, I promise :)
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    @NatureLovers‌ and @MusicFanatic‌, I'd just like you both to know that you are both so fabulous. Always so helpful and I so appreciate it!
  • Options
    Bummer that you can't take anything! I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. :( Hang in there. Maybe @MusicFanatic‌ might have something to suggest?
    Unfortunately, a lot of sleep aids can raise your BP. I battled this, as well.  I think both Unisom and benedryl can have that impact. You might need to try more natural remedies to see if it works (reading before bed, warm milk?).. not ideal, but the meds that raise BP aren't likely advised when you're on bedrest for that issue :(
  • Options
    Just thought of something- are you allowed to take baths, by any chance? I was allowed baths more than showers at the hospital because I would be laying in a tub. And they also found the relaxing in there helped lower my BP when higher. Sometimes I took one at night and brought in a book and it made me sleepy.. the relaxing + reading tired my eyes out. Is that something you can try?
  • Options
    @MusicFanatic‌, they didn't say not to take baths. I'm allowed up for a shower, so I would guess that baths would be fine. Wonder if I could find some soothing stuff to put in my bath water... Hmmm. Great idea, MF!
  • Options
    @MusicFanatic‌, they didn't say not to take baths. I'm allowed up for a shower, so I would guess that baths would be fine. Wonder if I could find some soothing stuff to put in my bath water... Hmmm. Great idea, MF!
    Try to find something lavender based.. maybe lavender essential oil? Lavender is a natural sleep aid. You can also find some type of spray (get online or have someone pick up for you) that contains lavender and spritz it on your pillow at night and see if it helps any :)
  • Options
    A really boring book. Warm milk. Avoid any screens - the backlighting on TV or cell phone or laptops or tablets can prevent your body from thinking that it's time to sleep. Use candlelight only, black out any sunlight if you're trying to sleep during the day.

I am so sorry you're having a rough time! I am sure the anxiety and fear of all this doesn't mean it any easier to get some rest. But you are doing a great job cooking those babies, so just keep on doing what you're doing!
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    I just want you to know I share your pain.  I have been on bedrest about 6 weeks and I don't sleep well at all even at night.  Here are some tips that I found help me:

Stay up during the day - I don't nap otherwise I won't sleep at all at night
    Take a warm (not hot) bath before bed with favorite scent - candles - music (sometimes this is at odd hours like 2AM if I can't sleep).
    Keep your mind busy during the day.  I do to-do lists, letters, Christmas cards, on-line holiday shopping, The Bump, talk on the phone to my mom, netflix and whatever I can find.

In the end know everything will be okay.  I have gotten more used to it every single week and hopefully you do too!!  Hang in there!  I have high BP also.  Feel free to PM me.
    Live like there is no tomorrow..Love like you have never been hurt...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"