June 2015 Moms
Options

Fetal Doppler Apps - Good or Waste

C6091C6091 member
edited November 2014 in June 2015 Moms
So, I'm so tempted to buy a Doppler. But my partner says it would be a waste of money as we know the baby is fine. I still want to hear it though. Has anyone used any of the apps that are available and had success? I know the apps don't usually work this early on. Do the hand held ones work? Would it be worth my time? if I buy a Doppler what would be the best brand to go with. Thank you. :)

Edited: - I used the search function and couldn't find another post like this one. Maybe my app is messing up, it has been crashing a lot lately.
Our Anniversary:- 06.02.2014
Our LOs ED: - 06.04.2015

romantic movie couple for February:- Damon & Elena

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Fetal Doppler Apps - Good or Waste

• Options
    I think they cause more trouble than they're worth
  • Options
    The apps are kind of a waste bc they won't work until much later in the pregnancy (if they work at all). I did just buy an actual fetal doppler for like 30$- when it comes in I'll let you know how it goes.

My hubbs didn't really think it was a wise or useful purchase but he buys useless things all the time so I won this round... ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm borrowing one from a friend. It's the Sonoline B Pocket Doppler. I found baby for the first time at 10 weeks, and had been playing with it since 8 1/2. I absolutely love having it. Just remember not to stress out if you can't find the baby. I'm not 10+2 and haven't heard it since. But it's ok! There's plenty of videos on YouTube for tips and instructions.
  • Options
    I have a sonaline B I got when I was pregnant with DS. I am 13 weeks and am just now starting to find the heartbeat on a regular basis. You can buy one but once you start feeling the baby move you will find you don't use it too often.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi from a May '15 lurker. I got an AngelSounds doppler for $28 (free shipping) from fetaldoppler.net It took about 4 days to arrive. It's not fancy but works just fine. You need a bit of patience to find the kid because they do move around in there, and if you are early, look very low; at 15 weeks, mine is still hanging out around my underwear line.
  • Options
    I got a handheld Doppler for $30 on fetalDoppler.net with free shipping. Baby sound B is what its called. Definitely worth it for the price. Found the heartbeat the first time at 9w3d.
  • Options
    I bought the sonoline b on fetaldoppler.net for 50 bucks. After a little online research about the different sounds you might hear and the locations to try we are able to find the heartbeat each night starting at 12 weeks. I'm not always to find it on my own but with my husbands help we always find it. I love having it and find it reassuring.
  • Options
    I also got the sonoline b from fetal doppler.net and I love it. I'm 11 weeks and we've been able to find the heartbeat every time :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mine just came in and it's AMAZING! I'm almost 13 weeks but it still took some effort to find the heartbeat. Wow. Having just a little sense of control in my hands helps me immensely. It's been just a shit week so this has been an absolute highlight!

A few notes for those that I just put on the doppler bandwagon: Don't panic if you can't find the heartbeat. Every tummy, uterus, and fetus is different. If your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't be either. Also, I can see how this might easily turn into an obsession, so if you are a little neurotic like me, be mindful of this possibility.
    :)
  • Options
    I plan on ordering one, I've heard the only drawback is the unnecessary panic it causes when on the off day you can't find a heartbeat. Usually baby is fine, just hiding. :)
  • Options
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you can never be 100% sure that "the baby is fine."  That being said, unless you have a moderate to significant amount of experience in using a Doppler monitor, it will likely cause you more stress than anything else.  

I do not have any experience with the apps on the iPhone, but I do have a Sonoline B which is a very good product.  I have been able to get the HB as early as 9 weeks under the right conditions and fairly easily once reaching the 11-12 week mark.  I used it for my previous pregnancy and also for this one.  I personally find it reassuring to check in on the baby periodically.  As I said, some people who are inexperienced may become upset about not being able to locate the HB, so you would have to think about whether this would be helpful for you or not.  

GL!  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hi from a May '15 lurker. I got an AngelSounds doppler for $28 (free shipping) from fetaldoppler.net It took about 4 days to arrive. It's not fancy but works just fine. You need a bit of patience to find the kid because they do move around in there, and if you are early, look very low; at 15 weeks, mine is still hanging out around my underwear line.
    I would also endorse this product, which I used with my first pregnancy.  It is a little bulkier and clumsier than the Sonoline B, but is almost as sensitive and is somewhat less expensive as I remember.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    There are apps for the heart beat? I'm sorry if I am naive, but how the heck do those work?
  • Options
    I don't know about the apps but I ordered a Doppler for about 30 bucks when I was about 12 weeks. Couldn't find the heart beat till last week at 13 weeks. Now I'm 14 weeks and find it all the time. Like someone else said baby is still pretty low. I find mine not much higher than my underwear line. Baby likes to hang out in a certain spot all the time!! :)
  • Options
    I just ordered mine! My husband is a bit worried if I can't find the heartbeat I will freak out but I will be 13 weeks when it arrives in a few days! The nurses seem to take a few minutes to find it--but hopefully it won't be a problem.

And for the people who say they find the baby around their underwear line--- It was like that for me at 10 weeks but yesterday it was just a bit below my belly button.  I guess it matters on your body type.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"