Breastfeeding
Options

It's been one of those days (sore!) & WHEN during the day is best to pump?

It's been one of those days/nights I should say where my son hasn't wanted to leave the breast & I'm feeling very sore & they are feeling very dried up/empty again....we are now doing 1 bottle of formula per day, which is usually around 9pm at night when my husband feeds him....to sort of give the girls a break....I didn't want to give in to formula, but did around week 3.  Hopefully 1 bottle per day does not hurt my supply....so tonight, we gave him 3-4 oz & he was still starving, I put him on me, that wasn't working, he didn't seem satisfied so we gave him 2 more oz!  He finally passed out & was very content after...maybe a growth spurt, that does seem like a lot of milk.  

Also, pumping...when is best to pump w/o "running out" of milk to give him at the next feeding?  I'd like to have something on hand, but am not sure when is best for me to pump w/o not having enough to feed him the next go around.  Thanks!

p.s.  I'm very happy to say that my son went from 8 lbs even on Nov 11th to 9.3 at yesterdays check-up, shocked actually!  So in those 2 wks, he gained an oz per day basically so that was great to hear.
~Jen
Married since 8.17.03
Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

Re: It's been one of those days (sore!) & WHEN during the day is best to pump?

• Options
    mommatotwo2mommatotwo2 member
    edited November 2014
    Congrats on the great weight gain! Sounds like a formula supplement isn't really needed, in my opinion. Anytime that baby receives a bottle and you don't pump, you're effecting your supply. Baby is demanding more, but your body has no idea and therefore it doesn't produce more, and over time will produce less. 3 weeks is a very classic growth spurt time and the best way to get through it is to get some water, snacks, and entertainment (books,tv,etc) and camp out with baby for a few days. For the soreness, I'd recommend hand expressed milk allowed to dry on your nips after a feeding and go braless as much as possible.

Even though it seems like you're empty, it's not true. We are never empty, more milk is always there.

The best time to pump for supplement is first thing in the morning. Many moms, myself included, pump one side while feeding baby on the other side, first thing in the morning.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    PP gave good advice. I would just stress you never are empty or "run out" of milk.

If you pump in the morning for a bottle to give as supplement, be sure to pump when baby is getting a bottle. Also, make sure whoever is giving bottle is doing paced bottle feedings.
    At this point in time, if you are not pumping you are negatively impacting your supply.

Good luck!
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also not sure the supplement is needed. Sometimes babies just cry.., especially in the evening, and it doesn't necessarily mean he's hungry.

For both my babies, I started pumping once a day after the first feeding after the sun rose. Then, if baby had a bottle, pump at that time too
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I would pump when you give a bottle. It does give your boobs a bit of a break while still keeping up you supply.
    Also i try to pump 1 he after a feed, and that will give 2-3 hours before the next. But it doesn't always work out and sometimes I pump shortly before I feed again- baby still gets enough milk.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"