Breastfeeding

side lying position

hi all! new bfing momma here. I have a darling 4 week old baby girl.  BFing is going great.  However, my ped told me today that I should not be feeding her in the side lying position because it will give her ear infections.  I was sad about this recommendation and sort of think the recommendation is not a great one.  Any experience with this?

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

Re: side lying position

• I never heard that- my lactation consultant recommended it, however I didn't use it all that often.
  • I have a 4 week old and use the side lying position as well. I mentioned my positioning to my her pedi as well as the hospital's LC and neither were concerned or cautioned against it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard this. I think you're ok.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Side-lying is the only position my LO will nurse in; she is currently 8 months old and has never had an ear infection.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Never heard this either. I mean, the baby is lying pretty sideways no matter what position you're in, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Never heard this either. I mean, the baby is lying pretty sideways no matter what position you're in, right?

I thought the same thing with the exception of the football hold. Someone I have my baby straddle my lap while BFing so she's upright.
  • TeeJ526 said:

Never heard this either. I mean, the baby is lying pretty sideways no matter what position you're in, right?

I thought the same thing with the exception of the football hold. Someone I have my baby straddle my lap while BFing so she's upright.
    Good point...but no one's worrying about ear infections with cradle hold or whatever! Such weird advice! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsLillyG said:
    hi all! new bfing momma here. I have a darling 4 week old baby girl.  BFing is going great.  However, my ped told me today that I should not be feeding her in the side lying position because it will give her ear infections.  I was sad about this recommendation and sort of think the recommendation is not a great one.  Any experience with this?
      I have experience with the side-lying position. I have used this with my six children, who were/are all bf. None of them ever got an ear infection from it-in fact only one of my babies ever got any and it was after he started daycare. So I have to say that I don't think it causes ear infections.
  • I've heard something similar. I have a friend who insists that you should nurse your babies as vertical as possible to prevent ear infections. Sounds like the same philosophy. My lactation consultant also recommends side lying, pretty much everyone I know does it and I haven't heard of any issues with ear infections. Maybe if your LO was having issues you could try adjusting nursing positions but I wouldn't stop if it's working for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"