August 2015 Moms
Options

Betas?

So this may be a silly question but is it normal/standard to have betas drawn immediately after a bfp? Or only for those who are high risk or seeing an RE?

This is my 4th pregnancy (one previous loss) and my doctor (ob) has never said anything about it. The practice I go to just schedules you for a visit at 8 weeks based on LMP and then general blood work after that.

I don't really have any reason to think anythings wrong but since I did have a loss before I'm wondering if early blood work is something I should be asking for?

Thanks!

Re: Betas?

• Options
    I only went to get mine done because I have pcos, and have been working with a RE.

I wish I could give you some input on your question other than what I just said, but I'm still learning how all of this works myself.
  • Options
    I am having mine done since I work with an RE, and they like to confirm pregnancy with bloodwork. last pregnancy, they didn't even do a bloodwork, just the HCG test  to see if I am pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am getting betas drawn because I was seeing an RE at the time of getting my BFP.  My RE told me that it was standard for them to run blood work and early ultrasounds for BFPs people get while in their care regardless of how they got pregnant.

I do not believe my OB would have done betas.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

TTC #1 since November 2013
    BFP #1 EDD August 2, 2015
  • Options
    I will be having them but only because of my previous losses.

BFP #1 Chemical Pregnancy

BFP #2 DS Bennett

BFP #3 Missed Miscarriage 8wks

BFP #4 Miscarriage 6 wks

BFP #5 Due August 10, 2015

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I don't really think it's necessary in my case then, I was just double checking because it seemed like a lot people were getting them! Good luck to those of you waiting on results :)
  • Options
    Also have a history of repeated losses here. Just did a third draw to make sure my hCG is still going up and that they progesterone supplements are working. I will probably be having BW again next week and hopefully my first ultrasound the week after that. 
    Be glad you don't need them. It is definitely not something you want to have done unless you have a history of miscarriage. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"