July 2014 Moms

GTKY - Family/Holiday Tradition

What is your favorite tradition from childhood? And what tradition would you like to pass down or create for your LO?

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: GTKY - Family/Holiday Tradition

• I love putting up the tree the day after Thanksgiving still in PJs while listening to Christmas music.

I plan to do the same with my LOs, but after watching the Polar Express with my in laws during our first Christmas together, we have continued to watch that movie as a family during the holiday season. I am so excited that DS1 will enjoy it more this year, since last year he still did not have the attention span to sit and watch a movie.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Thanksgiving - Must have jellied cranberry cut into slices and those cut into a turkey with a cookie cutter.

Christmas - Must have a real tree.  Must have colored lights outside.  Must have an advent calendar (but not the kind with candy or toys in it, I'm struggling to find the right one for our family.  Maybe I'll get one of the 2 my mother has).  I'm hoping to start a new tradition with DS making cookies.  It's not something we did as an every year tradition growing up, just when we thought about it, and I'd love to make it something we do together every year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanksgiving, my parents always cook the meats, potatoes and a pumpkin roll and everyone else brings the side dishes and desserts.  Then everyone passes out on the couches/chairs while watching football.

I always go out to the local tree farm and try to find the "fattest" tree. Real forever!!  I decorate while listening to Christmas music.

We bake cookies for Santa and put carrot sticks out for the reindeers. 

We also tour the fanceh neigborhoods to look at Christmas lights while I drink my Spiced Caramel Cider from Starbucks. 

I'm not sure how Christmas will work this year but typically presents for the kids will be done first thing in the morning, then head off to my parents house for breakfast and the rest of the gift opening.  I guess ex will take the kids over to his family for a little bit but i'm not sure if I want DD gone for too long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanksgiving: I cook some appetizers like sausage balls, pigs in blankets, pumpkin muffins & etc. I take a platter across the street to my parents & my mom loves it because it keeps my dad busy eating & he stays out of her way while she cooks. Lol.

Christmas: DH & I have went every year to Hallmark to pick out an ornament together since we got engaged. Then we added DS to the mix & now DD. It will be extra fun this year bc DS is 3 & able to choose his own ornament. Hallmark is expensive but we've found we enjoy the dated fun ornaments so much more than tons of random bulbs.

• Thanksgiving day, after we eat, we put on a Christmas Story and make Christmas ornaments with Sculpey oven bake clay while we watch :)

The theme of the ornaments is "events from this year," so the tree is covered with family memories crib the ten years our so since we started this tradition.

You can guess what my ornaments will be about this year! Haha, do you think a poopy diaper would be too crass?! ;)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• For Christmas we open a gift on Chrismas Eve which are pajamas that we wash and wear that night and for Christmas morning.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• It's interesting to see some similar traditions!

- My parents always bought us Christmas pjs growing up and gave them to us the night before Christmas, she still does it and gets for DH and now for DD!

-Eating seven different kinds of fish for Christmas dinner!

-DH and I pick out new ornaments each year, now we will get one for DD!

-My dad and I would drive around looking at the holiday lights on houses, usually between Christmas and NYE, we bring DH but I'm thinking DD will stay home lol.

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • For Christmas when my sister and I were kids, my mom used to put one gift at the end of our beds in the middle of the night and made us believe it was Santa. We used to feel so special that he only did that at our house! (Ok maybe I was naive and didn't even think that it was mom pretending to be Santa lol). Even after I stopped believing I still made my mom do it! Haha definitely want to keep up this tradition with LO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"