October 2014 Moms

Methylergonovine anyone?

Leysin97Leysin97 member
edited November 2014 in October 2014 Moms
(Sorry a little long)

I was prescribed Methylergonovine today because it appears a piece of placenta is still in my uterus and that's why I'm still bleeding and having pain 7 weeks post c-section. The medicine is supposed to cause uterine contractions and hopefully expelled the piece so I don't need a d&c. Anyways the nurse practitioner said it was ok to breastfeed with. Picked up the meds and it says "warning do not breastfeed , ma6 resume12 hrs after last dose" anyone have any experience with this? It means 48 hrs of not breastfeeding. I don't think I have enough milk stored up so don't know what to do. I'm gonna call the Dr tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this or what your suggestions would be?

Edit: spelling of medicine

Re: Methylergonovine anyone?

• @keelyd‌. Oops it's spelled Methylergonovine. I don't have that app cause it wasn't free on android. :((
  • Can you double check the spelling of the medication and post again? Or post the brand name or drug class? I'll look it up for you.

I suggest calling Dr. Hale at the Infant Risk Center ((806) 352-2519) tomorrow to ask whether or not it's safe. Almost every medication has a note that you should ask your doctor if pregnant or breastfeeding, but very few medications are actually incompatible with breastfeeding.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • @Emerald27‌ corrected the spelling. Thanks for the number.
  • Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited November 2014
    Methylergonovine - it's an L2, which means it's "safer" and probably compatible with breastfeeding.

You are taking it orally, correct? NIH suggests that receiving an injection of this medication could reduce serum prolactin, resulting in a reduced milk supply. If you're only on it for 48 hours and you're taking it orally, it shouldn't affect your supply.

Talking to Dr. Hale will help because they'll discuss your dose with you and the risks (if any) to your baby. They can help you decide whether to pump and dump or to nurse LO.

Have you had any milk supply issues? Placenta retention can cause low supply. FX for you!!!

ETA: While you're pumping, pump every time LO takes a bottle and completely empty both breasts. Hopefully you can get a positive answer in the morning!
    imageimage
  • No experience but hopefully everything works out for you! I'm hoping to hear back from my doctor tomorrow about my blood work and may be in the same boat as you.
    O14 January Signature Challenge- Snow Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @swise22‌ Was actually just about to ask you on your other thread. FX it's nothing.

@Emerald27 thanks so much. Going to call tomorrow.

@keelyd thanks I appreciate it. Oh and I'm about to PM you about something unrelated. Don't know if you are on mobile or not.
  • @Emerald27 I called that number. They said it could reduce milk production with prolonged use but not a one time use so should be ok since I only have to take it for one day.
  • Leysin97 said:

@Emerald27 I called that number. They said it could reduce milk production with prolonged use but not a one time use so should be ok since I only have to take it for one day.

Yay! That's great news!
    imageimage
  • @lLeysin97 Any update? How are you doing since taking the meds?
    O14 January Signature Challenge- Snow Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am doing good. I took the meds and stopped bleeding shortly after. It caused some uncomfortable cramping but at least I am done using pads. Now I have been having some supply issues but I am not sure that the meds were the cause as I have been having a lot of difficult BF.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"