Stay at Home Moms
Options

Please tell me I'm not crazy…..

I accidentally left my garage open and went inside to do a craft with my kids. When we walked back outside the neighborhood kids were riding my kids scooters around the neighborhood. I asked them where their mom was and said "its ok now because we are coming out to play but next time please don't take my toys out of our garage unless we are playing outside with you ok?" Then their mom stormed up and I said "I don't want them to get hurt in here when I have no idea they are in here. Please wait for us to take our stuff out" and she grabbed her kid by the arm, told them they couldn't play anymore and slammed her front door." I text her later and said "hey sorry if I offended you I was just really concerned they might not have told you where they were going and again I didn't want them getting hurt" No response. Is it weird I don't want the neighborhood kids in my garage and playing with the kids scooters, bikes and power wheels without me knowing? I realize its my fault for leaving the garage open, I always close it…It was just a mistake today. Do you guys let people come and go on your property without your knowledge?
Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13

Re: Please tell me I'm not crazy…..

• Options
    BTW this is my third crazy neighborhood post in as many weeks. Maybe its time to move? lol
  • Options
    you are totally not crazy.  I would never allow my kids to go into someone else's garage and just start playing with their toys.  Weird the mom reacted that way...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Any chance the mom was angry with her kid(s)? And embarrassed her kid(s) were playing with your stuff when you weren't outside?
    I once sent my kid up to the neighbors to ask if his friend could play, and when he didn't return in 5 minutes went to check on him and he was playing with the kids' bike, kid wasn't home.  I was definitely embarrassed and he definitely got in trouble.
    Thats what I thought but then when I got no response from my text it made it seem weirder. She is obsessed with her phone so I'm 95% sure she saw the message…...
  • Options
    Yeah,  I wouldn't like that one bit. That mom needs to keep a better eye on her kiddos!
  • Options
    bhuffman said:
    you are totally not crazy.  I would never allow my kids to go into someone else's garage and just start playing with their toys.  Weird the mom reacted that way...
    This!  It's one thing if you've got a relationship like that with the neighbor kids already - it's another not to have it and they just go in there.  IMO, if the neighbor kid came over and had done that I'd probably react the way you did...  OTOH, their Mom is nicknamed "Crazy Cakes" by all of us neighbors so the kid I could deal with the Mom - no way in HECK - and my reaction would probably border on considering calling the cops (she's an addict)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think any kind version of "no kids on our property without adult supervision / please don't touch our things without asking" would be more than fine and life rules these kids, depending on age, should be aware of.
  • Options
    Any chance the mom was angry with her kid(s)? And embarrassed her kid(s) were playing with your stuff when you weren't outside?
    I once sent my kid up to the neighbors to ask if his friend could play, and when he didn't return in 5 minutes went to check on him and he was playing with the kids' bike, kid wasn't home.  I was definitely embarrassed and he definitely got in trouble.
    This is how I interpreted the situation.  Seems like she just doesn't have the tact/social skills with you to communicate that and was telling you through her conversation with her kids. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think what you did was totally appropriate.  Children need to learn boundries- and to me going into someone's garage without them knowing and helping yourself to their toys is a BIG no no.  Heck I don't want anyone but my family in our garage- and my kids don't play in anyone else's garage.

The mom might have been embarrassed because her kids helped themselves or that she let them and was found out.  Plus not returnign a text with I simple "ok" or "I will talk to the kids about this" is just plain rude .

While yes you left your garage door open, that is not an open invite to have the whole neighborhood in your garage.

This makes me appreciate the fact that we don't have neighbors that we know more than to wave to when we are out in our yards.
  • Options
    I think what you did was totally appropriate.  Children need to learn boundries- and to me going into someone's garage without them knowing and helping yourself to their toys is a BIG no no.  Heck I don't want anyone but my family in our garage- and my kids don't play in anyone else's garage.

The mom might have been embarrassed because her kids helped themselves or that she let them and was found out.  Plus not returnign a text with I simple "ok" or "I will talk to the kids about this" is just plain rude .

While yes you left your garage door open, that is not an open invite to have the whole neighborhood in your garage.

This makes me appreciate the fact that we don't have neighbors that we know more than to wave to when we are out in our yards.
    I used to think out neighborhood was awesome since the my LOs had so many other kids to play with but its turning into a nightmare. We went to a neighborhood party this weekend and DH had to stand right next to the bounce house because DS1 and DS2 were getting pushed down and deliberately jumped on by other kids and they kept coming out crying. Such a joke. Of course the asshole kids parents were no where around. I guess I have to limit my neighbor contact. 
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think what you said and did was appropriate. To be honest if the kids were teenagers or adults that is considered trespassing. I think her reaction might of been embarrassment . I wouldn't worry to much , you were in the right;)
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    Update: I saw her today and walked over to say "hi" and she ignored me and made her kids go inside and wouldn't let them play with DS. OMG this street feels like middle school sometimes. Thanks for all your advice.
  • Options
    Update: I saw her today and walked over to say "hi" and she ignored me and made her kids go inside and wouldn't let them play with DS. OMG this street feels like middle school sometimes. Thanks for all your advice.

I don't think you need to be her friend anyway...

She sounds amazing...
  • Options
    Yeah now I stand by my idea that she let them go into your garage and help themselves.

She sounds like a peach.  
  • Options
    I accidentally left my garage open and went inside to do a craft with my kids. When we walked back outside the neighborhood kids were riding my kids scooters around the neighborhood. I asked them where their mom was and said "its ok now because we are coming out to play but next time please don't take my toys out of our garage unless we are playing outside with you ok?" Then their mom stormed up and I said "I don't want them to get hurt in here when I have no idea they are in here. Please wait for us to take our stuff out" and she grabbed her kid by the arm, told them they couldn't play anymore and slammed her front door." I text her later and said "hey sorry if I offended you I was just really concerned they might not have told you where they were going and again I didn't want them getting hurt" No response. Is it weird I don't want the neighborhood kids in my garage and playing with the kids scooters, bikes and power wheels without me knowing? I realize its my fault for leaving the garage open, I always close it…It was just a mistake today. Do you guys let people come and go on your property without your knowledge?
    NO. None of this is "your fault".  She sounds like a piece of work.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"