February 2013 Moms
Options

Tablet for toddler?

My parents want to get dd a tablet for Christmas.....I am not sure how I feel about this. Thoughts? It is a kid specific one and of course it would be regulated by dh and I, but still. She's a toddler. It feels weird for her to have her own. What's next, her own cell? Thanks for your input ladies!

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

Re: Tablet for toddler?

• Options
    We are getting DD1 a tablet, but she's 7-almost 8. I've heard good reports about the leap frog tablet for kids though. I think they've got some cute games for toddlers.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    we got DD a leap pad 2. I figure she could mess around with it and play little games. We'll see how she likes it. I'm not shelling out $500 on an ipad. I don't even have one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I let dd play with my IPad, she cracked the screen and it is full of her apps. I sort of wish she had her own, but I like to limit her time, and it is easier, aka, she is more rational about it, since she knows it is Mommys.

Honestly, dd learned a lot from the iPad apps, she learned the alphabet quickly because of it.
  • Options
    It's a drug.  I'd do it because my child is already an addict.  If your child isn't, hold off a bit.  I do think it can be educational, but it's better to play with legos and dolls than know your alphabet when you're 2.
  • Options
    My paernts are giving DS a portable DVD player for Christmas.  It was way cheaper than a tablet and will be used when we fly to my sister's wedding in March.

• Options

@DC2London I am not sure if you know they exist but the Fire released a version for kids that comes with a 2 year no questions asked warranty, a "kid-proof" case and a years access to lots of free content.  

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Edition-Display-Wi-Fi-Kid-Proof/dp/B00LOR524M

I can't speak for the fire itself but this is what my 6 year old is getting for Christmas as his big gift. He is also likely going to live with his grandmother (foster son) in California within  the next 6 months so I figured it would be good for the plane ride as well.

I wouldn't get one for my Feb baby right now because I don't think she would be interested. I did consider getting one for my other foster son  who is 2yr 9 mths. I decided to wait on him but I do think that he would enjoy it. Just can't justify getting two right now when they could share at least for a little while. If Sean leaves first  and the other kids like it I will consider getting another one then for the younger two.

• Options
    Mac only uses my iPad when we go on long drives or plane rides, he watches Mickey Mouse and has no interest in the games. At home he doesn't even notice the iPad unless we FaceTime with Nana and Papa. For him it wouldn't be worth it to buy one just for him. Plus, I don't want him spending time playing games on there when he has so many toys we can play with together. Once newbie gets here I'm sure he will play with the iPad more often, but until then I just want him to play with me :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

@DC2London I am not sure if you know they exist but the Fire released a version for kids that comes with a 2 year no questions asked warranty, a "kid-proof" case and a years access to lots of free content.  

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Edition-Display-Wi-Fi-Kid-Proof/dp/B00LOR524M

I can't speak for the fire itself but this is what my 6 year old is getting for Christmas as his big gift. He is also likely going to live with his grandmother (foster son) in California within  the next 6 months so I figured it would be good for the plane ride as well.

I wouldn't get one for my Feb baby right now because I don't think she would be interested. I did consider getting one for my other foster son  who is 2yr 9 mths. I decided to wait on him but I do think that he would enjoy it. Just can't justify getting two right now when they could share at least for a little while. If Sean leaves first  and the other kids like it I will consider getting another one then for the younger two.

This is what they want to get....the kids kindle fire. They are getting one for my nieces too, sis already ok'ed it. Her kids are 5 and 2 (6months older than dd). I am torn between saying no, seeming judgy and hurting their feelings and saying yes even though I don't really want to. Dd has a few games on my ipad and I let her use it some so I also feel like a hypocrite. Sigh.

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options

Also, if someone were offering to get one for DD I would probably just say thank you  and try to find things she could use on it :-) I am not opposed to the screen time so much as I just don't think she's "get it" but ....maybe I underestimate. I am using the one we are getting as a trial to see what content is out there for younger kids too.

• Options

Flame away!!

DS already uses our tablet that's 2-3 years old. He loves the bowling game that we have on it.  We also downloaded a few other games and created a kids mode because he was starting to wonder into Netflix and ebay.  We were going to get him his own but I wanted to get him a 9-10 inch screen and the cheapest were $60-$100.  I think we are going to give him our old one and get a new one.

• Options
    pebbleann said:

Flame away!!

DS already uses our tablet that's 2-3 years old. 

Ditto, so you won't be alone in the flames.  Extra flames, we have 2 iPads, and we let DS1 and DS2 use them both at the same time.  ((((Heat))))   It's not over the top use and is monitored; I don't see any problem with it in moderation at all.  

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    We don't have cable so DS really doesn't watch a whole lot of tv besides what's on PBS. He is on my tablet a lot. My parents are getting him a Nabi tablet for christmas. I plan on limiting how much time he's on it though. Like everything else in the world it's all about moderation. My bro and I are ok and we spent hours playing nintendo ;)
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Options
    We don't have cable so DS really doesn't watch a whole lot of tv besides what's on PBS. He is on my tablet a lot. My parents are getting him a Nabi tablet for christmas. I plan on limiting how much time he's on it though. Like everything else in the world it's all about moderation. My bro and I are ok and we spent hours playing nintendo ;)

Cable free here too.....PBS rules ;)

• Options
    ally2011 said:

Cable free here too.....PBS rules ;)
    Yes it does! We love peg + cat and dinosaur train :D
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Options
    draeraydraeray member
    edited November 2014
    I'll go ahead and say it. I bought both DS#1  who is 8 years old AND DS#2 one of the Kindle Fire's for kids for Christmas.

My 8 year old is old enough but then I didn't want DS#2 always trying to steal it away or try and play with our iPad. We already have fights over the one iPad we have in the house.

I do like that you can set screen limit times and you can also make them do so many educational items before they are allowed 'free' play. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Mine is getting a mini for her birthday. She LOVES to FaceTime with her grandma but I don't really consider that true screen time. I also use let her use my phone to watch movies to keep her entertained at the grocery store so it will be nice for her to have her own so I can answer the phone when if it rings while shopping. Also I'll be glad for her to be entertained during longer road trips. Now giving her one and her having free range whenever wouldn't work but I think for certain situations they are very handy!
  • Options
    yeah-- DD uses my phone. She goes from app to app. She would love an ipad. I need to watch her on the iphone since she loves youtube. I've seen her start to watch some strange videos that have caught her eye because they have toys or cartoon characters in it. One was a "sexually explicit" Barbie skit. Very strange.

For that reason, and the cost, I opted for the leap pad. I got one 50% off and a bunch of games at 50% off. They have apps to download too, but im not sure if those are free or not just yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"