Nurseries and Baby Gear

IKEA Crib?

We are in the market for a new crib. Does anyone have experience with the cribs from IKEA? The price is right but from my experience sometimes their quality is hit or miss. Any input is appreciated.

TIA!

Re: IKEA Crib?

• That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the feedback.
  • We have the Sniglar crib. It's very simple but solid wood and less than $100. My LO is a newborn so I don't know how well it holds up to rough handling, but it's still a great deal.
  • Loading the player...
  • I passed on these cribs because when I went to look at them in person they were SO low to the ground I didn't think it was going to be comfortable for me when getting LO in and out of the crib.
  • Thanks for all the info ladies! I think we will be making a trip this weekend to IKEA.
  • We have a 1 month old and a 23 month old. We decided to keep our oldest in a crib as long as possible. We weren't sure how long that would be so we decided to get the least expensive crib we could find which happened to be ikea for like $70! She's been in it since late September and I am really pleased. It seems heavy and sturdy and we haven't has a problem. I like how low it is for when we convert it to a toddler bed. But, it actually isn't much lower than our other $400 crib. Just fyi: I didn't like their mattresses at all. I found a much better one on amazon for $50.
    1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
    #2 due 11/28/14
    2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

• leela02leela02 member
    edited November 2014
    ateach said:
    We have a 1 month old and a 23 month old. We decided to keep our oldest in a crib as long as possible. We weren't sure how long that would be so we decided to get the least expensive crib we could find which happened to be ikea for like $70! She's been in it since late September and I am really pleased. It seems heavy and sturdy and we haven't has a problem. I like how low it is for when we convert it to a toddler bed. But, it actually isn't much lower than our other $400 crib. Just fyi: I didn't like their mattresses at all. I found a much better one on amazon for $50.
    This is probably the Sniglar crib (same one we have). You can put it together as an infant or toddler bed and convert it later as needed. I ordered it online since it was out of stock when I went to our IKEA, but the shipping wasn't too bad (around $20 I think. I guess it just depends on where you live).

I wouldn't recommend the Sniglar changing table though. It's cheap but flimsy.
  • 2ndGeneration2ndGeneration member
    edited November 2014
     I looked at them recently for this little one and dh and I did not like how Ikea attaches the mattress base to the crib frame, and also how the mattress frame was constructed. The ones we saw looked like thin framing with window screen, with a small pin on each corner to attach to the crib.

Many people like Ikea cribs though. I'm just related what we saw and in our experience (this is our 6th child) having used one crib for the first five kids. That crib has a metal mesh mattress platform and metal hooks. All our kids were jumping beans lol and I think they would break the Ikea ones. But like I said, folks do seem to love those.
  • Thanks again everyone. We ended up purchasing the Gulliver crib!
  • Thanks for the thread, OP. Nice to hear opinions about these ikea cribs since I'm planning on splurging for an organic natural mattress
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"