February 2013 Moms
Options

Potential T-Day Dramas

uncaripswife and I have some dramas to look forward to.  If you do too, post 'em here.

My sister and BIL and their 6mo DD are coming for T-Day.  My BIL is a big 'ol whiner and my family dislikes him.  We sense the feeling is mutual, although my sister says otherwise.  He's just been spoiled by a mother who slaved away over her four boys with no gratitude shown and he thinks we all should accomodate him and his needs/wants.  When that doesn't happen (which is 99.99% of the time), he whines. 

I mentioned in the T-Day food thread that my dad's mom and her husband (not my dad's dad) are also coming.  My mom can't stand them.  My dad hates his "step-dad" (they were married long after my dad and his sister had grown up and moved out) and he tolerates his mom (although he does love her).  "Grandpa" (we all call him by his first name) is also a big whiner.  Grandma is...loud.  Very, very loud.  And a little attention seeking.  Out of the two sets of grandkids she has (my sisters and I and my cousins), we always came in #2.  So...there's a lot of superficial stuff that we all keep up, which can be exhausting.

But the big drama is my cousins on my mom's side that are coming.  They are the kids of the aunt who was absolutely, positively hellish to our family until the day she died.  She told her kids (now 27 and 18) a lot of terrible things about us, which they used to smear us all around the community and try to guilt us the way their mom did - that we didn't love them, that we were selfish and snobby, that we should have done more for them (ie enable them).  Ugliness all around.  My 18-year-old cousin is also the one that my parents skipped out on my 30th birthday for her graduation party (because it would look bad if they didn't go) and tried to talk me in to going to instead of, you know, celebrating my 30th.  My middle sister and I do not want them there.  It's just awkward and friction-filled.  And it turns out my youngest sister invited the 18-yo to our mother-daughters pedicure day on Friday.  WTF.

Yay family!  :-bd

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potential T-Day Dramas

• Options
    I don't think there will be too much drama this year! I'm prepared for the snide side comments directed at the closeness of our children... and might throw fuel on the fire and intimate that we're expecting again. We aren't, just to be clear, but it might be fun to let my aunties get their panties in a was. Lol
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    @uncaripswife‌, I bet they sabotaged it ;)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We aren't going to places that involved drama. :)

Although, my SIL is a bit dramatic. Nephew has several life threatening food allergies, he has a service dog for them. She just is super protective, which I get, but she is mean about things. So the rest of the family is scared to even touch nephew.
  • Options
    We are going to my husbands Aunts house. Everyone is very nice. I like my in laws. But my husbands cousin is a little nuts. Over the summer he posted a rant on Facebook about how he wanted to kill people. Those people were anyone with a pension. He then went on to say "to my aunts and cousins"....... Blah blah blah you should die I will kill you myself blah blah blah.
    Mind you my husband, my brother in law, my mother in law and the mother of the cousin are all teachers.
    This is the first time we are seeing him..... Can't wait.
    Jenny DiLo
  • Options
    holly321 said:
    We aren't going to places that involved drama. :) Although, my SIL is a bit dramatic. Nephew has several life threatening food allergies, he has a service dog for them. She just is super protective, which I get, but she is mean about things. So the rest of the family is scared to even touch nephew.

I've never heard of someone having a service dog for allergies. How does that work exactly? Does the dog snif out certain foods?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mishka29 said:

holly321 said:

We aren't going to places that involved drama. :)

Although, my SIL is a bit dramatic. Nephew has several life threatening food allergies, he has a service dog for them. She just is super protective, which I get, but she is mean about things. So the rest of the family is scared to even touch nephew.

I've never heard of someone having a service dog for allergies. How does that work exactly? Does the dog snif out certain foods?

This was my first thought? I know from studying dogs that they can accent the smallest particles— like search & tracking dogs.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    The dog is trained to pick up the tiniest traces of my nephew's worse allergens, peanut and dairy. He does something when he smells them, I can't remember what. My nephew has really bad contact issues, so it isn't just a fear with what he eats, they have a hard time taking him out of the house because he has touched stuff and reacted really bad.

• Options
    @holly321‌ How scary for your nephew! I can only imagine what it must feel like to be afraid to even go outside because you might react to something someone just happened to toss outside! I can't tell you how many times I haven't given a second thought to my kids eating peanut butter snacks, then going to the playground or put them in a shopping cart.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"