Breastfeeding
Options

1st day back at work - not producing enough

Hi ladies -
I'm not even home from my first day back, but I know I didn't produce enough.
DD is 12 weeks today, in three pumps I got 3oz, almost 4oz and barely 2oz. 
I have a new pump and parts.
DS (who was EBF - including pumping at work) took 3 3oz bottles at this age and I know from experience that Monday was always my strongest producing day. 
I'm freaked out
I had to fight for every ounce with DS (including going on Dom) and I am just sick to my stomach that I'm facing that ALREADY.
Thoughts? Advice? Encouragement?
I feel like crying already (yes, I know that's dramatic)

Re: 1st day back at work - not producing enough

• Options
    Don't let one day sour it all for you. It's stressful as hell going back to work and stress negatively impacts supply. Stay hydrated, keep on the Dom, eat some oatmeal, drink Mother's Milk tea and keep your chin up. You can do this! Enjoy your post work snuggles.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't panic just yet!  Let yourself get into the routine, and let your body adjust to pumping.  For me, I always had to "get in the zone" of pumping.  This meant, closing my eyes, taking relaxing breathes, thinking of LO, and sometimes if I visualized running water like a waterfall, etc. it helped me with letdown.  I know pictures also help a lot of moms.  It's just the first day....don't be so hard on yourself.  Just make sure that you are relaxing and not thinking about work or how much you're pumping.  Those thoughts will just cause you stress and tense you up.  GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Deep breaths! First day back is always stressful. If you don't continue to produce enough with the pump can you add in a pump before bed or before work? Maybe pump once a day on weekends to make up a bit? It'll work out, but I'm sorry you are stressed.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. Really. I didn't feel the impact of today until the end of the day - all of the sudden I got really emotional.

The nanny is new to BF babies but she's been really wonderful about getting educated.

I appreciate your advice and your encouragement. I have been pumping the one side she doesn't nurse from during her MOTN feed so I have a stash built up to help me find a rhythm.

Meantime i try to relax and have faith.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"