Multiples
Options

One twin coming home before the other.

My twin girls were born nov. 8th at 33w 2d. They've been in the nicu to grow and gain weight mostly. Baby b has not had any apnea spells recently so she is tentatively coming home tomorrow. However, baby a had an apnea spell yesterday that required stimulation for her to start breathing again (so scary!), so her discharge is Friday at the earliest, assuming there's no more apnea.
My question is-how do you deal those few days with one baby home and one still in the hospital? Any survival tips? Thanks!

Re: One twin coming home before the other.

• Options
    Mine were born at 32w and my daughter was able to come home a couple days before my son. I took a ton of pictures and since I was staying in a hotel near the hospital I stayed in bed with her. I basically cherished every single minute with her before I was able to take both back home with me. I tried to not dwell and just thought about how exciting it finally was to get to be at the end of a scary nightmare. 

congratulations!! You made it momma!! those babies are coming home!! 
    imageimage
  • Options
    My ds#2 came home 3 days before dd. It was easy just having one at home. It was nice to be able to bond with him before she came home.

I still visited dd every day and dh and I just brought ds#2 with us but kept him in the waiting room because kids aren't allowed in the nicu at our hospital.

Of course I wanted her to come home but it was nice to have one on one time.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a week between when my daughter was released and when my son came home. Our NICU allowed us to bring our daughter back into the NICU to visit. So I lugged her back each of those 7 days to visit my son...we were there normally just before lunch until mid afternoon...then we came home as I could not leave her at all even to go to the bathroom...so DH then went up after work to check on our son. We also called more. That week was the longest and most tiring week of them all!
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

• Options
    My girl and I were discharged a week before my boy. There are no two ways about it. It totally sucked. Between the two of us, we would visit him 3x a day (H before work, me at lunch, both of us when he was done with work. )

It was tough to always be leaving one of them.

But we did it, and bringing him home was the best day ever.
  • Options
    Both our girls are now home! One came home Tuesday, the other came home yesterday. The three nights went much faster than I anticipated and now we're done with the nicu! So happy. And now sleep deprived. Being able to sleep was the major silver lining of the nicu.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"